Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Lifted the EX
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:58 pm 

about one 10 months ago I purchased this 2003 Excursion 6.0 PSD - my first diesel - love it!

Just finished a suspension modification...changed the front leafs to v-codes and the back to B-codes with 2 smaller leafs added from the original pack....this gave me stiffer ride with 1" of lift....added front 3" hanger kit and 4" block to the rear.....overall the gave me a complete 4" back and front. Changed shocks to specially valve bilsteins, rear swaybar to a 30mm, adjustable pan rod bar and dual front inline steering stabilizers. Still to come is heavier front swaybar and going for a dual front shock set up. Tires went front 265/70 17 to 315/70 17 for now....eventually going to 20" rim with a mud terrain 35". Going to set up all my gauges and decide which tuner I will use...I have done the cold air intake and exhaust has muffler and cat delete...straight 3.5 turbo back.

Attachments:
File comment: After
exlift.jpg
exlift.jpg [ 152.05 KiB | Viewed 596 times ]
File comment: Before
Xwheeled.jpg
Xwheeled.jpg [ 72.15 KiB | Viewed 765 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:40 am 

Sweet!

What kind of mpg does the diesel version get?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:08 am 

when I first got it, running the smaller tires it was as 17 mpg and 13 with 7 x 14 filled trailer, did the intake and exhaust and she shot up to 22 and 18 with traler....so far the larger tires seem to be kepping me about the same without the trailer.....I do lots of highway.....I think with trailer this will logically decrease because of the larger tire. We shall see.....This is so much better than the H2 which got 10 highway and 7 with the trailer....LOL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:13 am 

cafercr35 wrote:
when I first got it, running the smaller tires it was as 17 mpg and 13 with 7 x 14 filled trailer, did the intake and exhaust and she shot up to 22 and 18 with traler....so far the larger tires seem to be kepping me about the same without the trailer.....I do lots of highway.....I think with trailer this will logically decrease because of the larger tire. We shall see.....This is so much better than the H2 which got 10 highway and 7 with the trailer....LOL

Hummer needs a duramax?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:57 am 

A 6 oh no. Don't put a tuner on it. It will cost you a lot of money. Headgaskets and egr coolers fail all the time on them. A tuner makes it happen that much faster. Change the oil at least every 5K and use lots of additive in the fuel. You probably stole it with the market we are in right now? They do run awesome when they run good. What did you end up doing for a trailer?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:03 am 

Ditto on the Head Gaskets and EGR cooler. I just had the EGR done and still looses coolant @ 75K miles. Head gaskets are prolly in my near future. If you go with a tuner don't use the Flash programming one like Diablo Sport, it leaves a trace on the PCM dealer will know you flashed it. Highly recommend a EGT guage and boost guage if you tune it. don't go over 1050 degrees on EGT if its mounted right after turbo.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:32 pm 

the duramax H2 is the ultimate truck - hopefully one day I can do this conversion...oh yeah...first I need to build the garage...LOL

I have done both head gaskets and also changed to Heavy duty studs....the EGR cooler was just recently replaced along with the trans and trans cooler when an ambulance ran a red light and took me out. So I'm thinking I'm in pretty good shape.

Yes Mike the gauges are in the garge ready to be instaled..I have the 4 gauge pillar pod which is going in holding Trans temp, boost, exhaust temp, pyrometer(because I like the way it flashes...LOL) I did hear lots about the flash programmers and they aren't recommended becuase of the trail they leave behind.....doesn't matter much to me, there is 93K on the truck and it is out of warranty. Just haven't decided whcih to use yet. I think I will do the electronic (stereo, nav system and so forth) before the tuner.

As for a trailer.....they are all pretty cheap right now....I am currently painting the interior and waxing up the 7 x 14, my plan is to pull in the local places for a trade. My 7 x 14 is set up for 3 bikes with front cabinet. It has a low roof, a v-nose, aluminum wheels and full aluminum frame.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:05 pm 

FYI, the 06 and 07 have head studs from the factory. They still pop head gaskets with tuners, just not as easy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:46 pm 

King Kx wrote:
FYI, the 06 and 07 have head studs from the factory. They still pop head gaskets with tuners, just not as easy.

I guess I'm just going with the attitude that I got one that will run great....LOL.....what fun is a diesel if you don't puff black smoke in the windows of rice burner as you blow his doors off......LOL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:21 pm 

cafercr35 wrote:
King Kx wrote:

I guess I'm just going with the attitude that I got one that will run great....LOL.....what fun is a diesel if you don't puff black smoke in the windows of rice burner as you blow his doors off......LOL

Did you say SMOKE?

I use to have a Diesel Blazer back before a diesel was cool, all the guys that use to make fun of me and my diesel now own diesels and are all diesel dummies with all the latest and greatest diesel queer accessories....

I use to LOVE my ole smoky Blazer, as you rolled away from the drive up window you slipped it into neutral and floored it, just about the time the normally aspirated 6.2L turd built up enough RPMs to belch the famous black cloud of smoke the tail pipe was perfectly lined up with the OPEN drive up window, I think you get the picture.

Anytime someone on a nice warm summer day happen to be following me in a convertible with the top down I would also slip it into neutral and coast a little bit to lure them in when they got close enough they were about to tap the brakes I would floor it and smoke them good... Funny every time! :-)

Ahh the good ole days, wish I still had that sucker, 28 mpg hwy!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:03 pm 

YES Hoser!!!! that's what I'm talkin about :-)

Attachments:
deisel.jpg
deisel.jpg [ 51.1 KiB | Viewed 671 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:50 pm 

All fun and games,

Smoke out the tail pipe is an arrestable offense in many states. Connecticut being one of them. Just a thought to keep in mind when smoking the ricers. Funny that I can smoke the tires and blow their doors off with the turbo stang and just get a ticket, but I can't bellow black smoke and then take off with the truck without getting arrested.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:31 pm 

what up Mark? ur just a buzzkill throughout this entire thread....stop that, we just wanna have fun.....LOL...just playing my friend.....that exactly why I got married....someone needs to keep my ass in line... :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:12 pm 

Its all good. But I really did get cuffed and stuffed for driving a customers truck that smoked heavily. :-) That was a bad bad day.

On the brighter side, I see the fewest problems with the 03 6.0. 04 are the worst by far.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:45 pm 

King Kx wrote:
Its all good. But I really did get cuffed and stuffed for driving a customers truck that smoked heavily. :-) That was a bad bad day.

On the brighter side, I see the fewest problems with the 03 6.0. 04 are the worst by far.

LOL - now your talking my language :-) but thanks for the heads up on the arrest thing....I seriously didn't know that...gotta look at jersey law and see the consequences