Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Quadriplegic Conversion
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:09 pm 

Where do I start, I'm pretty sure I have talked to or read about every guy out there that has done this before. We've all got a little bit different levels of function(C5-6, no triceps, no wrists, no hands, strong shoulders, strong biceps) so I'm borrowing what ideas work best for me. I'm still working on getting pics. The basic idea is right arm for steering and left arm for gas and brake.

What's Done:

Power steering, from Howe performance power steering. http://www.howeperformance.com/sandcars-charlynn.htm

A pump, that type replaced the pullstart with, and torque converter are mounted. I still need to set up the steering column and build my steering arm. I'm not sure if I'm going to leave this up the center like normal or offset it to the right and flatten out the wheel/arm so it is a little more of a straight forward and backward motion. This would be my strongest and most controllable set up. Not that big of a deal yet, though. I will figure it out when I get there. I say arm because I won't be needing a big steering wheel. I'm picturing something like a servo horn out of an RC vehicle. I'll get back to this. When I am closer to being done with the gas/brake.

Also, suspension seat is in.

What's Not done:

I am looking to do something like this guy did

http://www.quadyssey.com/pilotconversion/

Pics soon to come.

Questions and suggestions welcome

Brian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:56 pm 

Well, I'm a little disappointed in the condition of my pilot after sitting at my mechanics for twoyears. There was a cover on it but it looks like the moisture got to it a bit. I'm more disappointed in the amount of work that got done in two years.

[/img]Image
[img]

[/img]Image
[img]

[img][img]http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/2289/pilot004gr2.jpg[/img]
[/img]

[img][img]http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/7290/pilot045ro0.jpg[/img]
[/img]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:59 pm 

Hi bspill 1. I'am no fabracator however I will help with what I can. I sorry I do not understand the nature of the injury. Your post tells me if I read it right The arms feet have no range of motion. I first would ask if a doctor would have any concernes as not to create any futher injury. None my business just do not want to knowing aid in futher injury to anyone. Your project is in deed is a unique one in the ATV world.

If unable to wrestle in and out of the cage a removable cage top would be require to enter and exit as well as be adesigned well enough to handle roll over the opening on top can be close with a hatch design after a new cage opening is fabractored. Some where there is some info on suspension set. This may help with the person not being able to feel impacts and reduce futher injury to back and spine as well the best suspension avalible. I would also recomend a seconday remote kill in case of mechinal faliure of lose of control. We do not want anybody getting hurt.

Its a start. First be able to enter and exit safely. Second make sure he cage can handle the impacts. Rember a means of extraction or righting the pilot in case of roll over or emergency. A good chase vehicle with winch for pulling rolled vehicle over and equiped safty supplies, hacksaw, fire extingure ect. would be a good idea.

I have pleaty of idea to bounch off ya so lets address safty first and go from there. Adnoh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:54 pm 

Hey Bspill, You may want to get hold for my buddy MXgimp. He is a quad and has been working on hand controls for the
past few years. He has a really good setup now that he is using. His right hand controls the throttle by pushing and the front and rear breaks are on the other side and he has it set up so the is bias between the front and rear. It's all on a quick connect so we can get him in and out easier. He also has modified his cage to swing open so it's easier to get in and out. I know he has built controls for people in the past. He may be able to help you out if you need it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:17 pm 

Thanks for the concern adnoh. I am good to go. The title quadriplegic is a little confusing to most. Any loss of function in the upper body is enough to be considered a quadriplegic. I've got pretty strong shoulders and about a 20 pound curl in my bicep. That's not really enough function to be much help transferring in and out but I've got a pretty good system worked out. So it should get easier and easier.

buggyfreak34z,

I think I have spoken with him a couple of times. Northern California, right? Pretty sure he's got more function, in his upper body than I do. I've been meaning to get up there to check out his setup.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:49 pm 

If you need help moving something let me know...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:32 pm 

bspill1 wrote:
buggyfreak34z,

I think I have spoken with him a couple of times. Northern California, right? Pretty sure he's got more function, in his upper body than I do. I've been meaning to get up there to check out his setup.

Yea that's probably the guy. We are just east of Sacramento. It would be great to meet you someday, any chance of
making to one of the VORRA race this year? We'd be glad to help you out to get going.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:46 pm 

Had a thought at work while working in a confined space. I was pulling in wire in a spot which my elbows were locked up against a wall. I found this increased the forearm pull strenght( less effort to pull). What if an attachment that locked in the elbows where incorporated on a plain with the shoulder blades and steringwheel. This would alow the forearm strenght to be consertrated on the steering wheel in an up and down motion and wrist right to left. This would also retain the elbow from miss appling force to the whell under impact lessing the over steer and eritac movment. This would also require less arm movment to turn whell. I will try to sketch out for review and maybe some one can improve on idea. Mean while see if the elbow are locked if an improvemnet in wrist strenght can be applied. Use a fish scale for this test. attach one end to a fixed mass and then try to pull in and up and down angle and record, than lock elbows in relation to wheel angle and distance than try again. If this works than we will move forward on idea. If not We will try agian. Any info on pump in pounds force will help. A clutch set up can correct the pf2 on crank train.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 3:45 pm 

not sure where this is gonna go yet

[img][img]http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/6552/img0325nx8.jpg[/img]
[/img]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:23 pm 

I think I give up. Hard to even get myself to write this. Here is a link to my pics. I guess it really depends on what this thing is worth as it is versus what it would take to get it finished. This was a 100% functional pilot when I bought it and I have all the parts. Can't find the original pics right now. Please let me know what you think

http://s88.photobucket.com/albums/k192/bspill1/PILOT/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:32 pm 

bspill1 wrote:
I think I give up. Hard to even get myself to write this. Here is a link to my pics. I guess it really depends on what this thing is worth as it is versus what it would take to get it finished. This was a 100% functional pilot when I bought it and I have all the parts. Can't find the original pics right now. Please let me know what you think

What about a quick undo of what he has done and going with a electric power steering?

Where you live?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:47 pm 

we looked into electrical in the beginning and it was way too expensive. Maybe somethings changed or we were wrong. The servos cost a pile

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:07 pm 

bspill1 wrote:
we looked into electrical in the beginning and it was way too expensive. Maybe somethings changed or we were wrong. The servos cost a pile

No I think everybody is using a unit off a automobile that is a complete package, one of the guys down under ordered one for his Drakart? I forget the details now I will see if I can dig it up.

You ever hook up with Tadrad? He lives in socal and is in a chair too he works for a company that designs and builds stuff for gimps, gimp toys :-) I will shoot him a PM and give him a link to this page he might be interested.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:55 pm 

There is a lot of good guys here with lots of talent and advise! Many in the same physical condition as yourself!
No need to give up!!!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:30 pm 

The subject of power steering I think starts about here ?
viewtopic.php?t=4762&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=225

The thread beginning is here
viewtopic.php?t=4762&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:22 pm 

you know, I might just be better off getting taken for a ride. I am not giving up what I am doing here as far as getting these hand controls finished. I'm just curious what it looks like to you guys that I've got. Put it back to stock? Sell it as is? Sell it with power steering? What do I have? What's it worth?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:54 pm 

nothing?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:16 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:24 pm 

Do you owe anything on it? Be patient-it will all come together in the end, let it go for a week, see if you have it in you.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:53 am 

Updates?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:22 pm 

Unfortunately, it has to go. Too many reasons. It was overly optimistic of me to begin with to think that I would get good use out of it at all. I think I'm going to pull the power steering equipment out and put it on eBay. Then get what I can back on the pilot. We'll see..... I do appreciate all the offers and advice from you guys around here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 5:42 pm 

bspill1 wrote:
Unfortunately, it has to go. Too many reasons. It was overly optimistic of me to begin with to think that I would get good use out of it at all. I think I'm going to pull the power steering equipment out and put it on eBay. Then get what I can back on the pilot. We'll see..... I do appreciate all the offers and advice from you guys around here.

Still have this?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 7:31 pm 

yeah, have not even been able to get anyone to go pick it up let alone clean it up or take off the power steering.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 7:45 pm 

bspill1 wrote:
yeah, have not even been able to get anyone to go pick it up let alone clean it up or take off the power steering.

How much you asking as it sets right now?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 1:32 pm 

well, this thing started right up and ran like a champ when I bought it. Came with aluminum rims and paddle tires for the rear. I still have all the parts. I believe there was only one crack in the plastics. No rips in the seat. The power steering parts alone are worth $1000 new. My initial idea was to try to get $500 for the power steering stuff than $3500 for the pilot as is. Regrettably, I've got about $7000 into this thing. $5000 for initial purchase plus $1000 on power steering and $1000 in labor.