Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: new guys fl350
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 10:13 pm 

i just need this thing to smoke that damn rzr

Attachments:
IMG_0173.JPG
IMG_0173.JPG [ 1.54 MiB | Viewed 805 times ]

Post subject: more
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 10:34 pm 

pic

Attachments:
IMG_0178.JPG
IMG_0178.JPG [ 1.7 MiB | Viewed 804 times ]

Post subject: pic
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 10:40 pm 

pic

Attachments:
IMG_0177.JPG
IMG_0177.JPG [ 2 MiB | Viewed 806 times ]

Post subject: ideas
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 11:13 pm 

so what should i start with first....

Post subject: ideas
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 11:23 pm 

so what should i start with first....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 11:50 pm 

Looks like you have a good drive clutch. I would start with reading up on this forum about a new exhaust pipe,maybe someone here can reccommend a good pipe for top end. I know you will have to rejet your carb after installing the pipe but it will be worth it. I think the pipe is the easiest "bolt on HP" and good bang for your buck. As far as motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) work you will have to wait for the more seasoned FL350 guys to chime in. Also there is a post here about upgrades to the FL350. Maybe Hoser will post the link. If you are short on cash, the previous owner of my FL350 removed some "innards" from the silencer portion of the pipe,now this FL350 is quicker than my stock FL350. I now have more "pick up" from about 15 mph to 40mph on the Ody that had the guts removed from the silencer, and it is not much louder than my stock Ody, again the FL350 guys will have to help you out there too as I am not too sure what he did to the pipe. that's my 2 cents. Have fun and good luck.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 6:42 am 

As we talked in the chat, first order of business is to get a harness, don't even test ride without one!

It looks like you have a 94C clutch, other 94C owners can chime in and give you advice on tuning the clutch.

Do you have a service manual? I would clean the spark arrestor to make sure its not full of carbon and restricting the exhaust.

You said it bog's? Take it for a ride and get the Engine up to full temp then remove the top cover off the air box and take it for a ride again, if it runs better most likely the jetting is too rich.

You know how to jet a 2 cycle Engine? Here is a good guide. http://pilotodyssey.com/BillGivensjetting.htm

It would be nice to know what your current jetting is then we could help you more.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 7:47 am 

copied from an earlier post....

Ok, I will chime in and give my 2 cents worth. I have over 10 years of experience messing with the 350s and have have found out (mostly the hard way) what works well for my riding style. I am on a tight military budget so most parts I use are either fabbed or bought used from Ebay. Not everyone will agree on the best mods, or good mods so use whatever you like. These are my personal suggestions and opinions. Hows that for a disclaimer! LOL

1. Air Box Mods. The factory airbox, snorkle and tail light box. Great for keeping out dirt, mud, rain ect., but extremely air flow restrictive especially in hopped up machines where you need increased air flow. There are alot of posted pictures of dual snorkle mods, each a little different and all fix the restrictive problem. Probably best bang for the $15 spent!

2. Air Filters. Hot debate topic with different views, all require proper oiling and regular cleanings, especially in a dusty enviroments.

In box, Factory foam filter--probably the best filtering but most restrictive becuase of the metal screen cage inside. Dual stage, Uni foam filters--most commonly used, great flow and good filtration. K&N filters-- most air flow but least filtering even with the optional outer precharger covers. most expensive also.

(No box) pod filters--again, debatable, you may lose power by removing the box because of the two stroke pulsewave/resonance, loosing the box makes access to the carb much easier, the filter is exposed the elements and needs to be covered when not in use, does not like water covered trails!

3. Carbs--again 32mm(stock)is too small for hopped up engines but fine for stockers. If you want your Engine for torque(hard launches, steep climbing, ect) stay small 34-36MM, if you want your Engine to rev high and really pull on top end, go big 38,39MM, +. Ofcourse you will want a port job and an exhaust pipe to match, rev or torque.

The more modern flat slide type carbs give a better throttle responce. I prefer Keihin over Mikuni, but that is just me.

4. Exhaust pipes-- Stock works well and is the quietest but is restrictive when hopped up. DG, PowerPros and Bills are some that I have tried, and all give good gains. The DG silencer(or lack there of) is horribly loud and has to be swapped out ASAP. Again, some have been tuned/designed for rev or torque.

5. Reeds--Stock are steel and very trust worthy but restrictive on built engines. Boysene makes replacement fiberglass reed pedals for the stock cage in either rev or torque pretty cheap. Also most 250R, CR250, and pilot reed cages will fit in the 350. I prefer the 4 pedal Cr250 cages(best flow). I also use a straightened neck boysene Rad Valve, G-3 and Delta V Force reeds, all with increased power and throttle response over stockers. There has been some verified cases of the V force cage getting sucked into the engines. I don't recall if they were version 1,2, or 3. I have used my version 2 for 5 years with no problems, yet. Knock on wood.

6. Clutches--Again another topic of debate, Salisburys(stock) good ol reliable but a lower engagement boggs the Engine for racing. 94C-great all round clutch, draw backs are its not really tuneable. 102C- great for racing because you can adjust engagement and different areas of the powerband by changing springs or cam arms. Draw backs-expensive, without the dustcover can wear parts quickly. HRD & Alt--good simple design clutch(very similar to the 94C) except you can adjust puck wieghts for tuning, priced between the 102 and 94. Drawbacks tends to tear up the "D" slot on the cover and possibly has ties to Pilot main bearing failures, none know on 350s yet.

7. Porting-- The heart and sole of the Engine, can be mild to full race(wild). If not done correctly, you can ruin an Engine. It needs to be done by a knowledgable person, not a shadetree(like me). You can take a dremel and clean up casting flaws and other imperfections inside the jug, polish up the exhaust port and make better flow thru the Engine(better power) but avoid changing the size and shape of the openings. That is the timing and could spell disaster. There are alot of articles written on porting work so if you want to do it, better do the homework.

8. The little tricks-- here are just a few I use. The stock head gasket is actually three layers. I use only 1 which bumps up the compression some. Always use a quailty synthetic oil at 40 or 32:1 with fresh premium gas. Run a liq cooled head and radiator to help control heat especially with a built up Engine. I use an EGT and a water temp guage to help monitor things. Run .190 aluminium rims and lighter weight tires if not in rough/rocky areas, less kenetic mass.

Theres a good start of info to absorb and I am sure other will add to the list too. I am sure I have forgot things too. Good luck,
Gary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 4:22 pm 

Great article I found on jetting :

http://justkdx.dirtrider.net/printcarbtuning.html

Post subject: re
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 8:31 pm 

wow thanks guys. im gonna try that. now the other thing i was trying to find out is the arm conversion worth the 1200 dollars and should i buy the cooling head kit that comes with radiator. or should i just buy the head and find a radiator on ebay or something. what do you guys think. and the shocks which ones are better works or fox, also price wise which is better for the money
and how often do yall go to little sahara.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 9:07 pm 

Call Hillside Honda for a head:

(707) 263-9000

They look better, perform just a well or better and they're better people, IMHO!

http://pilotodyssey.com/PO/viewtopic.php?t=2526

http://www.hillside-honda.com/odyseey.asp

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 9:15 pm 

Here is a review, kind of a long read http://pilotodyssey.com/PO/viewtopic.php?t=3267

All kinds of radiators on ebay to be had cheap, search for gold wing radiator or banshee radiator...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 9:19 pm 

Ody_Stable wrote:
Call Hillside Honda for a head:

(707) 263-9000

They look better, perform just a well or better and they're better people, IMHO!

http://pilotodyssey.com/PO/viewtopic.php?t=2526

http://www.hillside-honda.com/odyseey.asp

I second the above!!! I believe the larger surface area helps cooling also!!!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: re
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 9:30 pm 

bryce.todd wrote:
wow thanks guys. im gonna try that. now the other thing i was trying to find out is the arm conversion worth the 1200 dollars and should i buy the cooling head kit that comes with radiator. or should i just buy the head and find a radiator on ebay or something. what do you guys think. and the shocks which ones are better works or fox, also price wise which is better for the money

Which a-arm conversion are you refering to for $1200.00? please provide a link and I will be more than happy to help!
Rear shocks are a big investment that will be the best money spent!!! The OEM Shocks are old and wore out and do not "cushion" well... It will not do you any good to spend time and money on Engine upgrades if you are bounceing so much you can't enjoy the ride!!! I can and do zip across the desert whoops with no worries with my Works shocks and you can buy them directly from them!!!
The radiator and head kit... stay very far away from that one!!! with basic skills you can find a good goldwing radiator on e-bay for $20.00 and it will have a fan!!! get a temp switch to run the fan with and boom you are done!!! http://pilotodyssey.com/PO/viewtopi ... 11&start=0 is where I am at with mine. I am relocating it and doing some other things... Just haven't had time to work on it much as work has picked up!!!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: haha
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 10:39 pm 

lets just say that was a really long read..... so correct me if im wrong but what i gathered from all that is don't buy it..... ok got it. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 10:40 pm 

ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 10:44 pm 

as i said before im new and don't have a clue about the 350. but the long travel looked cool so i was thinking about it and thought i should ask you guys... as for shocks i have seen the works shocks and it seems everyone is lives by them but i just wanted to see what the fox's went for.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 10:49 pm 

o sorry 2000 dollar long travel kit. hahahah i have looked at way to much crap for that thing all the #'s are running together.

Post subject: brakes
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 11:05 pm 

so do the 250r front brakes work. and is that a big deal to change to disks

Post subject: Re: re
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 12:45 am 

bryce.todd wrote:

Do you mean Little Sahara in Oklahoma? My son and I have been to L.S. in OK about 3 or 4 times this year. We went when the weather was more in the 70's and 80's but I am planning to go again before it gets tooo hot. We have two FL350's. It would be cool to ride with some more 350's. Where are you located? We are about 2 hours from the dunes in Oklahoma City, OK.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: oklahoma
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 10:36 am 

yeah i wont be moving down there until aug. so maybe i can get with you when it starts cooling down abit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 8:45 pm 

Where are you moving in from? To?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: re
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 1:21 pm 

im moving from spokane wa to oklahoma city

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 3:00 pm 

we to Oklahoma

Stixs - have had a chance to check out any of the riding areas south of the City?

OMO
Curtis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 4:59 pm 

I think we are going to Cross Bar Ranch this Sunday(Memorial Day Weekend). In Davis OK, South of OKC

Profile E-mail