Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Trailer Fuel Station
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:51 pm 

I'm considering ideas on how to add a fuel station to my trailer and wondering what everyone thinks would/would not work? What I don't like is hauling around gas can(s) and would like to just pull pull up and pump in some gas. I've looked high and low for anything reasonably priced and I can't fin it. Anyway, here is my idea...let me know if I will blwo myself up.

Get a fuel tank from an older car...flat, center fill that would be behind a license plate...early 70s GM I think...around 18 gallons. Basically attach it to the same location on the trailer as it would be on the car but have the fill/gas cap just inside the trailer ramp door through the floor. Strap it to the bottom of the floor with typical tank straps. Where the fuel comes out attach a small fuel hose to a 12v fuel pump, then another hose that would be long enough to reach my buggy. Flick a switch, and voila, fuel will pump out...

Now, where to store or how to store the fueling hose is a big question. I could also add a fuel guage given an older standard float-type sender and put the guage where-ever.

So, am I crazy or just over-worked this week in thinking this is feasible??

Draktwin

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:37 pm 

They have the 16 gallon gravity feed fuel stations. I looked for a kit the resembles the ones on the new toyhaulers but with no luck. You can get a jazz fuel cell and use an external electric fuel pump on a switch. Summit sells the pumps I used them in my dragracing days on my supercharged applications.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:45 pm 

I personally prefer to use air pressure to deliver my fuel, turn on the air and out comes the fuel and/or water.

I use to use 4 gallon sode syrup canisters and put an air spigot on them, pressurize them to 100lbs and that's enough pressure to empty the can in the middle of nowhere.

Just an idea since most everyone in this sport already has a compressor they use on a regular basis in camp.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:11 am 

Ody_Stable wrote:
I personally prefer to use air pressure to deliver my fuel, turn on the air and out comes the fuel and/or water.

I use to use 4 gallon sode syrup canisters and put an air spigot on them, pressurize them to 100lbs and that's enough pressure to empty the can in the middle of nowhere.

Just an idea since most everyone in this sport already has a compressor they use on a regular basis in camp.

Good idea. I have a bunch of those old soda keg cans lying around from my homebrewing days.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:18 am 

Sunblock wrote:
Ody_Stable wrote:

Good idea. I have a bunch of those old soda keg cans lying around from my homebrewing days.

Yea, and I have some old hydroponics from my home pot growin............Oh.......That's different..........Never mind!

:-) :-) :-)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:49 am 

What does this not surprise me Tom? How is the back doing? You up to 100% yet? Fall is right around the corner and you NEED to come out for a ride then.

Ted

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:14 pm 

LMAO

Back is doing good. I can tell I got operated on but I feel good and about 85% mobility back. The doc should release me back to my regular life by the end of the month. I'm going to carefully start back into the gym next week. I should be good to go for the fall LS ride. Can't wait to be honest with you. I think next weekend I'm going to hit St. Joes here in Missory to see how the back feels. Doc said it was OK.

Tom

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:26 pm 

Tractor Supply has a fuel station that you could mount in the back of your pick up or even in your trailer I would think you have a tractor supply in OK???

Near as I remember they looked about 4-6 feet long and had the pump handle and all, just never looked close enough to see how they work...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:48 pm 

Hello Ted Pilot. I have read your post and thought to myself why not. I pulled out one of my favorite book, Northern Tool. NorthernTool.com. They have several options to chhose from. One that fit your need is a Professional fuel station, hold 10.7 gal and is dot approved $80.00. There is also a 15 gal type $99.00. They also have a 11 and 16 gal gas buddy which has whells $109.00 and $259.00. There is also a handy pump type that installs in your five gal jug with fill handle $19.00.The company also has several other items that may soot your needs. If all else fails have them send you catalog it is worth looking at. by phone 1-800-533-5545. If they ask what catalog the one I have is #1601 and page94 and 95.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:08 pm 

Thanks for the inputs...I'll check NT out. I'd really like to utilize some of the space that is available under my trailer floor and not have to worry about hauling a gas can around. I'll keep looking and maybe just make the plunge and see what I can come up with.

Draktwin

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:39 pm 

tedpilot wrote:
Thanks for the inputs...I'll check NT out. I'd really like to utilize some of the space that is available under my trailer floor and not have to worry about hauling a gas can around. I'll keep looking and maybe just make the plunge and see what I can come up with.

Draktwin

What did you end up doing?

viewtopic.php?t=6380&highlight=fuel+station

I want one of them RV fuel stations with about a 40+ gallon tank...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:30 pm 

Hey Hoser -

I never did anything but decided to bump the project til next summer if I get a quad to replace the Drak. My solution is neither cheap nor simple. I want to get a boat tank and mount it under the floor at the back of the trailer, gauge up front. Fill from the side or top and then attach a 12v pump to dispense. Using new parts I think it will cost me about $500 to do what I want.

In the meantime I will continue to use the 10 gallon tank I have and let gravity do it's thing. I just hate having it inside my trailer but if I figure up anything eloquent I'll certainly post it here.

Ted

Draktwin

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:31 pm 

tedpilot wrote:
Hey Hoser -

I never did anything but decided to bump the project til next summer if I get a quad to replace the Drak. My solution is neither cheap nor simple. I want to get a boat tank and mount it under the floor at the back of the trailer, gauge up front. Fill from the side or top and then attach a 12v pump to dispense. Using new parts I think it will cost me about $500 to do what I want.

In the meantime I will continue to use the 10 gallon tank I have and let gravity do it's thing. I just hate having it inside my trailer but if I figure up anything eloquent I'll certainly post it here.

Ted

Draktwin

Yeah I am done with fuel inside too just gotta figure something out I think finding a 150 gallon semi tank and removing the two tanks I have on the bus and replacing it with the 150 gallon semi tank is the way to go then add the fuel station fuel pump thing to that tank. http://www.benfordfueling.com/shop/gpidcpumps.html second one down.

Every place I ride I can top off the 150 gallon tank right before hitting the ride area so the 150 gallons should be more than enough for the generator, filling the toys and getting the POS bus back to the gas station.

Guess I need to find a semi junk yard for a tank.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:20 pm 

I am sure you are past ur issue but here is some at low price...
Northern Tool

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/ ... allpartial