Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Project ATC
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:16 pm 

OK. Here we go, my friend and I are rebuilding a 1985 Atc 250R. The first problem is that the chain broke and slapped the case. The case is now broken, we may have a guy lined up to weld it, but then we need to have the bearing area in the case checked for accuracy. Well then his stupid cat knocked the head off the bench and broke the mounting hole on the top off. So at the bar a week ago, a guy gave him a new head. The new head has some pitting from detonating, he said the head is not warped and worked fine. My question, is can the pitting be taken out and smoothed without sacrificing power? Should this be done by someone who knows what the hell they are doing? This stupid bike is driving me nuts already. I will get into the other problems later.

Thanks, you guys are always helpful.

Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:27 pm 

So.......

Let me get this straight, your buddy got some HEAD at the bar?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:57 pm 

Now that's funny LOL!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:00 pm 

Holy crap, I never even thought of that. I have to go call him. That's great. I am sooo pissed I didn't think of it. God I am slipping.

jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:49 pm 

Ody_Stable wrote:
So.......

Let me get this straight, your buddy got some HEAD at the bar?

And was all due to some stray Pussey? :shock:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:07 pm 

85 250r parts are readily available on Ebay-try there I am sure you can get a part for that ride on it-
try the 3 wheeler board as well, there are always guys there selling parts for dirt cheap prices-myself included!!

http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/

you may have to become a member but it is free-

"gave him new head" LMAO!!!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:18 pm 

I really really want an 85-86 atc 250r, seems they rarely show up on CL though in my area. I am staring to consider paying to have one shipped. you will have to post some pics. I want to see ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:08 pm 

I will post pics next time I get over there. I will try to get pics of the head and the case. Unfortunately the left case is quite expensive. He's trying to keep costs down, we hope the guy we found to weld it will be able to do a good job. The whole bike needs a good going over. Then it's time to ride. yeah.........well that could be a year away.

Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:35 am 

vectorboy_99 wrote:
I will post pics next time I get over there. I will try to get pics of the head and the case. Unfortunately the left case is quite expensive. He's trying to keep costs down, we hope the guy we found to weld it will be able to do a good job. The whole bike needs a good going over. Then it's time to ride. yeah.........well that could be a year away.

Jim

I know its a little late now but the advice might help others in the future, replacing the chain before it got bad enough to break is the key, chains and sprockets are cheap and they are consumable items, replace them often :-) As you discovered the cases are not cheap but it still might be your cheapest most reliable fix. :shock:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:33 am 

that's the funny thing. He just replaced the chain and sprockets a couple weeks prior. There wasn't very many hours if only a couple on them. I told him to not ride it until he got the case saver for it. Of course he was excited and wanted to ride no matter. Sooooo he took a jump and bang. I still think he got ripped off on the chain and what not.

thanks,

jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:32 am 

vectorboy_99 wrote:
that's the funny thing. He just replaced the chain and sprockets a couple weeks prior. There wasn't very many hours if only a couple on them. I told him to not ride it until he got the case saver for it. Of course he was excited and wanted to ride no matter. Sooooo he took a jump and bang. I still think he got ripped off on the chain and what not.

thanks,

jim

Did he set the chain tension at right height (rider setting on the ATV) or at the relaxed height (no rider) sounds like the chain was too tight, when you compress the suspension watch the chain go tight...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:23 pm 

I was there when we installed it, and you know what, we did not do this. Soooo that is the prob. This is why I love this site. I will make sure to bring this point up.

Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:53 am 

hoser wrote:
vectorboy_99 wrote:

thanks,

jim

Did he set the chain tension at right height (rider setting on the ATV) or at the relaxed height (no rider) sounds like the chain was too tight, when you compress the suspension watch the chain go tight...

Yeah, nice. I will be redoing my 83 250r soon, this probally just saved my case, the chain already seemed way too tight. thx hoser.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:33 am 

Sunblock wrote:
hoser wrote:
vectorboy_99 wrote:

thanks,

jim

Yeah, nice. I will be redoing my 83 250r soon, this probally just saved my case, the chain already seemed way too tight. thx hoser.

Have someone set and bounce on yours while you watch the chain.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:38 am 

hoser wrote:

Have someone set and bounce on yours

Hmmmm, that is almost as bad as the whole "Head at the bar" thing..... :shock: