Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 6:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 2:32 am 

Loaded my beast up & almost ready to go away & test out this new pipe, air box mod, harness & hopefully new stock tank.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:42 am 

Ok, the week away was run & lost by me mainly!

Went up to the bush for a break & had a rip snorting good time. :-)

Don't have many pics of being away as I forgot my camera. Got a phone pic only.

Still on my ute with a little brown coating. Had a fight with a muddy wet dam.

Before the mud bath. With my phone.

Had a mishap with a stick in the same tire I pierced previously.

This sneaky little rim dented itself on me. :-) Must have been the hard right hander. I have to get a helmet cam to film this track & my other regular track. It was blocked by two large fallen trees.

Did a bit of other work, like adding the fuel pump & getting it to work.
The T-piece one way valve thing, failed. So, I plumbed the pump directly to the carby with my glass filter between the pump & filter. Worked perfectly too.
The pump wouldn't bolt on to the other hole due to the air intake obstructing the pumps position.

New rear skid plate nicely powder coated thanks to my bro. Thanks bro. :-)

Great clutch protection.

New Roll cage powder coated also from the bro.

Cleaned up today.

Decided to use the old empty dam as a jump in my imaginary circuit. Overshot the jump & ended up running over some old fence wire including barbed which became tangled around the back right & front left wheels. No pics though. Took an eternity to untangle the wire.

Power pros pipe goes really well, but, have come to the conclusion that these tires I'm currently using are not very suited with the larger diameter & width.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:44 am 

Would this be a suitable radiator even though it would seem quite tall to install it with the cap upwards?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... MEWAX%3AIT

Or maybe this one?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 2759.l1259

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:15 am 

Yes the Banshee radiator will work nicely. If you are planning to use a thermosyphon set up then I would get the Banshee rather than the Mini Cooper Radiator. The Banshee radiator is a lot taller and aids in the thermosyphon effect.

Not a bad price for a new radiator.

Rand

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:50 am 

Sorry Rand, I should've said I was using a water pump too.

I can't afford to do the conversion now, so I'm getting a cost layout & besides, we're coming into winter. I hope it snows up at my dad's this winter.

I'll be heading up there for 2 weeks in about 2 weeks while he's fishing in New Zealand with his mates. Hopefully, my mate will let me borrow his keychain fob sized video camera.

He took some footage on his road bike & it is so damned clear I really want to try it stuck to my helmet screaming through the bush. It's auto focus & all.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... K:MEWNX:IT

I won't need to borrow his, I just bought 2. Now I need the micro sd card (8gb gives 45mins of video.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:17 pm 

One thing you will want to research before you buy a radiator is how the mounting brackets are arranged to mount it. Myself and jim327 used a radiator out of a YFZ450 Yamaha quad. They have 4 mounting points and its pretty easy to fabricate brackets to mount it to the upper air box brackets and then make a simple bracket to mount it to the seat belt bolts. The Banshee radiator also mounts easily but I don't like having the radiator hanging on the rear down tubes in a position that anyone can bump it, get burned or bend the cooling fins.

I have mounted mine by re-enforcing the upper air box bracket to the air box (bolted not riveted) and drilled holes onto the air box plastic and used large 1" diameter washers to distribute the mounting over a larger area. I had to make sure the radiator has the rubber heat insulating mounts or it would transfer heat into the plastic and melt the air box! I guess I'll find out how well it works once I get my water cooled head installed.

As you can see, jim327 used a nice aluminum mounting bracket to hang his radiator from the upper air box mount.

What type of pump are you going to use? Jim and I both used a Mercedes auxiliary water pump. Pretty easy to find and pretty simple to mount.

Good luck,

Rand

Attachments:
jim327's upper mounts.jpg
jim327's upper mounts.jpg [ 81.64 KiB | Viewed 1276 times ]
jim 327's bottom mounts jpg.jpg [75.9 KiB]
Downloaded 219 times
Rand's radiator mounting.jpg [64.46 KiB]
Downloaded 219 times
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:46 pm 

randallman10 wrote:
One thing you will want to research before you buy a radiator is how the mounting brackets are arranged to mount it. Myself and jim327 used a radiator out of a YFZ450 Yamaha quad. They have 4 mounting points and its pretty easy to fabricate brackets to mount it to the upper air box brackets and then make a simple bracket to mount it to the seat belt bolts. The Banshee radiator also mounts easily but I don't like having the radiator hanging on the rear down tubes in a position that anyone can bump it, get burned or bend the cooling fins.

I have mounted mine by re-enforcing the upper air box bracket to the air box (bolted not riveted) and drilled holes onto the air box plastic and used large 1" diameter washers to distribute the mounting over a larger area. I had to make sure the radiator has the rubber heat insulating mounts or it would transfer heat into the plastic and melt the air box! I guess I'll find out how well it works once I get my water cooled head installed.

As you can see, jim327 used a nice aluminum mounting bracket to hang his radiator from the upper air box mount.

What type of pump are you going to use? Jim and I both used a Mercedes auxiliary water pump. Pretty easy to find and pretty simple to mount.

Good luck,

Rand

Nice looking setup looks like it does mount much better than a Banshee radiator does and the fan is a big plus, I always have recommended the Banshee radiator and the Honda Gold Wing radiators because they are cheap and plentiful hopefully the YFZ450 will eventually be the same, I bet a YFZ450 radiator can be had as cheap as the others if you play the ebay thing long enough..

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:54 pm 

I got it in like new condition for 50 bucks plus $10 for shipping! I'm pleased with it. Chomping at the bit though waiting for the new heads to be finished. At the time when I was acquiring parts, all the Banshee radiators looked the they went through hell and back!

My only issue I might have is the thermostat switches. The fan switch doesn't activate until 216F. From what I hear, the YFZ450's have an issue with overheating due to the high switch settings. I have seen aftermarket switches that lower them on temp down to 177F. If I have an issue this will be the route I will have to go.

Rand

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:14 pm 

randallman10 wrote:
I got it in like new condition for 50 bucks plus $10 for shipping! I'm pleased with it. Chomping at the bit though waiting for the new heads to be finished. At the time when I was acquiring parts, all the Banshee radiators looked the they went through hell and back!

My only issue I might have is the thermostat switches. The fan switch doesn't activate until 216F. From what I hear, the YFZ450's have an issue with overheating due to the high switch settings. I have seen aftermarket switches that lower them on temp down to 177F. If I have an issue this will be the route I will have to go.

Rand

Yeah that's a great price nice score...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:09 am 

Rand,

Are these the dimensions of the radiator you have?

If not exact, can you tell me where the variances are?

core size:208w * 305h * 40t
overall size:405w * 315h * 54t

Cheers.

Thanks heaps for all your input too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:43 am 

Mozzy, core width is approximately 375
Core height is approx 195
Core is 38 thick
total height (mounting brackets top to bottom) 254

Hard to get an exact measurements as it is already mounted with a fan in the way. Here are a few pics so you can get an idea of how large it is in the frame.

You're welcome, any time,

Rand

Attachments:
YFZ450 Radiator Pictures 004.JPG
YFZ450 Radiator Pictures 004.JPG [ 1.61 MiB | Viewed 981 times ]
YFZ450 Radiator Pictures 005.JPG
YFZ450 Radiator Pictures 005.JPG [ 1.48 MiB | Viewed 981 times ]
YFZ450 Radiator Pictures 001.JPG
YFZ450 Radiator Pictures 001.JPG [ 1.7 MiB | Viewed 981 times ]
YFZ450 Radiator Pictures 003.JPG
YFZ450 Radiator Pictures 003.JPG [ 1.51 MiB | Viewed 982 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:15 pm 

i like it, the mounts look great. the only issue I have had with my cx500 radiators are the sucky mounts I have made, I am not the best at fabbing up mounts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:59 pm 

Drakman wrote:
First one came from Arizona, old guy had for the grandkids but they weren't around much so he sold it, spent it's entire life inside a garage except the few hours that it was outside being used. Hoser's diagnosis on it was that it had less than 40 hours on it when he saw it, I had already put about half that much on it.

Second one came from Ramject, he had bought it and decided he needed something else for his kid after having for only a short time. It was in nearly the same condition, every original nut, bolt and sticker, one of the wheels was ratty, so I had them all redone.

Something you rarely see anymore is the little rubbers on the front bumpers, both of them had them and they were still supple. My son in law blew a top end on the second one, when torn down, it was the original bore, so it was also very low hours.

I sold the pair of them to a guy here in Colorado who is a paraplegic, never heard back from him, but I have a feeling that his family ran the hell out of them based on meeting them when I delivered them. Sold the pair on the trailer for ten grand which pretty much paid for the first Drakart.

Here are a couple of shots of the first Drak, two stroke that had maybe two hours on it. Got it from a collector that didn't like it when he got it. And no, this is not the one that Baz has, this one and his were side by side in Alain's shop when I was out there to get Ol Blue.

Sorry to drag up an old thread, but was that picture taken in California? Those Camaros look like part of Charlie Lillards collection.

Attachments:
p3270002_213.jpg
p3270002_213.jpg [ 52.55 KiB | Viewed 1013 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:34 am 

UPDATE!!

Very minor though. :-)

New steering tie rods.

Rear wheels & tyres.

and an over all look just before it's very overdue bath.

Video to come.....one day soon. :-)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:12 am 

My ody when I first acquired it 2yrs ago.

And now.....apart from the mud.