Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 3:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:47 am 

G'Day Moz,not sure what to advise on the oil,I always used the eng oil like Honda says,but here's what I can offer.
Going up to 25's just makes the trans work harder on take off,and with the increased wheel weight/mass creates more sudden inertia to hold back on landings.The old trans will eventually crack! I know,done 2 a few years ago.
The trans case bearings usually beat up their housings and spin,causing a domino effect to Chaos! Silver/grey oil.
Try and make it as easy as poss for the poor Ol' nearly 1/4 century old buggers.They are also not blessed with the slipper clutch of the mighty Pilot.This acts like a drivelin fuse and rids the backup inertia/mass pressure on everything there trying to hold it back. I'll post a pic one day of my cracked 350 trans,like humpty dumpty.Make sure you let throttle OFF on landings.
Another thing,DON'T sit there rev'n for a long while in neutral.The top primary drive shaft does not get the oil from the bottom end because it's been disconnected/divorced from the bot gears.ONLY when the trans is in F or R,does the Final drive lower gears whilst turning transfer the oil up to the Counter shaft gears and finally to the Primary shaft gears. There is a bunch of critical bearings,esp the AB bearings on the AB double gear, Primary shaft that work the hardest and fail the most.Check your play on your shafts for bearing slop...we don't like slop.
If your not confi on ever dismantling/serviceing your trans,send it to me and I'll do it for free.Ive done about 4 already,mostly on diff Ody's,ive had bout 6-7 of them.I also have spare trans parts if you ever need....Baz
PS Also,remove and service the spring and ball bearing in the shift fork.If not they jam and will SUDDENLY let your trans slip into neutral at high speed...overeving,not good for trans or motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) or....ya heart/wallet!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:54 am 

you want to use an wet clutch trans oil like for 2 stoke MX bikes. A decent brand for USA is the Bel Ray 85W Gear Saver but any 2 smoke trans oil will work, they gray could be a little water or the waste from the clutch plates.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:58 am 

Hare,the 350 does'nt have clutch plates.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:18 am 

DOH! and thanks Bugeye

hmmm the gray in trans oil is usually from the wearing of the clutch plates but I guess not in this case, i would hate to think the gears, shafts or bearings are wearing that much to turn the oil gray, if its been in there long enough it may take a few oil changes to clean up.

No matter , i would still stay away from regualr 10w40 motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) oils and go for a gear oil, (or the LSD oil if its the same kind of thing) but not an oil typical for a car or truck diff, i think they get too thick when cold, again i would still use a 85w-90w motorcycle trans type of oil even though it doesnt have a clutch, no matter how cold it pours like water.

what do others use? anything good or bad happen?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:58 am 

Thanks guy's.

By the way, the trans had over 1.5 litres in it when I drained it!
The manual says 750mls on a change & 800mls on a rebuild.

Does that sound right?

The ody had been sitting in the shed for nearly 3mths, no tank or fuel supply & in pieces. I threw it all back together & she fired right up with a bit of choke. Awesomely reliable! :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:06 am 

http://pilotodyssey.com/350sb.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:14 am 

Hare, this article is for the balancer, NOT the transmission.

I already know about the balancer oil problem when you tip over.

I was referring to the draining & filling of the transmission.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:23 am 

ok so I am a lousey fill in for Hoser, half ass reading posts, jumping to conclusions and quickly responding whilst working is not my strong suit, :-) at least you guys are keeping an eye on me.

the balancer isssue doesnt just happen when you tip over, filled to level it slings the oil up and into the port eventually making its way to the starter.

The trans quanity is what it is, the pilot has a bolt to check the level not sure on the 350

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:39 am 

Hehehe, nope, definitely no Hoser! :-)

Yeah, I'll just fill the trans with the required amount. It does have an oil check bolt too.

Getting closer!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:03 am 

Looking nice ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:15 pm 

Looks real nice did you just wax it. Just kidding. Can't wait to see a pic of it dirty.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 1:10 am 

Nice touch with the pilot reflectors. Also wheres the nerfs? I see the stubs sticking out where they used to be.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:20 am 

Pilot reflectors? They were on it when I got it & it never came with the nerfs.

I'm cutting the stubs off & welding a new set on when I get some time.

It's dirty now adnoh!! Took it up the trails on a closed road yesterday. It's great to know that nobody was likely to come the other way.

By the way, what other carby will go straight on a 350 with minimal fuss?

CR 250, CR 500?

My carby's needle that the floats touch won't stop the fuel from running into the bowl & flooding. Even when the floats are pushed all the way up & the needle too, it wouldn't stop the flow.

I know a rebuild is possible, but, are the kits still available?

Also, the transmission oil is cleaning up after each change & the trans isn't heating up or seizing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:48 am 

Hey guy's, I'm back from my holiday with a couple of pics. I also have some on my mobile phone, but, can't get them off it just yet.

Firstly, those ghastly white metal stubs that were on the rear are gone!

Lights wired.

Even has a relay & fuse.

Lights off.

Lights on.

New duster 94c works perfectly with the Dayco belt too. Sorry about the crappy pic.

Brother's workshop under his house.

About to head up to the mountains.

Camped by a river on the coast.

New fenders went on when I got home, thanks Weed.

Also got the carby fixed, it's actually a 34.5mm after it was bored out.
It runs like a dream.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:39 am 

Here's a minor update.

I received part of a shipment from one of the boys on here. For some reason the other box didn't arrive & needs to be investigated.

Anyway, I received an airbox, missing the seal, lid bolts & had a damaged inlet tube. All good, gave me something to do.

I fabricated my own seal by slicing a thin piece of self adhesive foam in half to fit the groove, cut some bolts down & have wing nuts on the top just like the originals (just need my cuz to put a spot of weld on each one.) & got rid of the split inlet tube & added my own 50mm PVC pipe version. I haven't finished it completely as I still need to clean the box properly.

I'm not sure whether to add another on the same side or go onto the other side. The other side runs too close to the pipe for my liking. Weed advised my pipe is very close now, so, I might wait till that goes on before making the decision.

Is a 50mm snorkel & inlet big enough?

I'll stop typing & show the pic now. I'll take another once installed with the pipe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:24 pm 

Here is how I did mine, but one thing I did wrong was to put the holes for the air intake in the front, they should have been on the bottom.

Attachments:
200205162035021_1.JPG
200205162035021_1.JPG [ 365.77 KiB | Viewed 997 times ]
200205162035165_1.JPG
200205162035165_1.JPG [ 372.7 KiB | Viewed 997 times ]
dscn0609.jpg
dscn0609.jpg [ 100.06 KiB | Viewed 1217 times ]
dscn0613.jpg
dscn0613.jpg [ 121.33 KiB | Viewed 997 times ]
dscn0617.jpg
dscn0617.jpg [ 124.67 KiB | Viewed 997 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:32 pm 

I did mine in the front as well. But, I covered the large wholes with SS drilled mesh to keep out the big stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:56 pm 

Wow Drak, your ody looks brand new!

Do you guy's have pics of the inside & what's the size of your inlet pipe?? Just curious.

I don't have the upper airbox to mod, so, I'm just going to use the tall filter that's already available to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:17 pm 

mozzy wrote:
Wow Drak, your ody looks brand new!

Do you guy's have pics of the inside & what's the size of your inlet pipe?? Just curious.

I don't have the upper airbox to mod, so, I'm just going to use the tall filter that's already available to me.

No pictures of the inside of the box that I can find.

Here are some more pics of the 350, I actually had a matched pair, both were pristine, I believe every nut and bolt was original, only things that didn't come from the factory were the clutches, belts and tires, oh, and the intake mods, also had all the original stickers.

I sold them about 5 or 6 years ago and got into the Drakarts.

Attachments:
dscn0607.jpg
dscn0607.jpg [ 93.97 KiB | Viewed 1186 times ]
dscn0612.jpg
dscn0612.jpg [ 73.42 KiB | Viewed 1186 times ]
dscn0619.jpg
dscn0619.jpg [ 115.99 KiB | Viewed 1186 times ]
dscn0620.jpg
dscn0620.jpg [ 67.13 KiB | Viewed 1186 times ]
dscn0623.jpg
dscn0623.jpg [ 91.4 KiB | Viewed 1186 times ]
dscn0626.jpg
dscn0626.jpg [ 145.15 KiB | Viewed 997 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:48 pm 

Damn Jerry

You've been saying for years that you used to have a couple of mint FL350...

This is the first time I have actually seen picts of them (at least one) and DAMN they are MINT....

Where did you find them and who owns them now ?

WOW...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:05 pm 

Daaaannnnggg, that's wet dreams material.

No doubt the guy that bought them has probably trashed them by now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:26 pm 

First one came from Arizona, old guy had for the grandkids but they weren't around much so he sold it, spent it's entire life inside a garage except the few hours that it was outside being used. Hoser's diagnosis on it was that it had less than 40 hours on it when he saw it, I had already put about half that much on it.

Second one came from Ramject, he had bought it and decided he needed something else for his kid after having for only a short time. It was in nearly the same condition, every original nut, bolt and sticker, one of the wheels was ratty, so I had them all redone.

Something you rarely see anymore is the little rubbers on the front bumpers, both of them had them and they were still supple. My son in law blew a top end on the second one, when torn down, it was the original bore, so it was also very low hours.

I sold the pair of them to a guy here in Colorado who is a paraplegic, never heard back from him, but I have a feeling that his family ran the hell out of them based on meeting them when I delivered them. Sold the pair on the trailer for ten grand which pretty much paid for the first Drakart.

Here are a couple of shots of the first Drak, two stroke that had maybe two hours on it. Got it from a collector that didn't like it when he got it. And no, this is not the one that Baz has, this one and his were side by side in Alain's shop when I was out there to get Ol Blue.

Attachments:
P3270002.JPG
P3270002.JPG [ 57.31 KiB | Viewed 1188 times ]
P3270008.JPG
P3270008.JPG [ 60.64 KiB | Viewed 1188 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:56 am 

Niiiiiccceeeee.

Is that a Corvette on the hoist?

Please tell me that's not your garage.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:21 am 

mozzy wrote:
Niiiiiccceeeee.

Is that a Corvette on the hoist?

Please tell me that's not your garage.

Yes, Corvette on the hoist, garage was full of collector cars, mostly Camaros.

Nope, not my garage, this was where I bought it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:15 pm 

Good lookin Odys Jerry. First time I have seen them. I know you said the wifey liked the FL350's. I wish I had got to them before you sold them. DO you remember what they sold for?

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next