Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Roof compartment
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:13 pm 

Dunno, he does not reply to my emails-I might not have a current 1-you by chance have it?
He was the last persons I knew that had them, he had made like 3-4 of them, but at the time we spoke about these which was probably 2 years ago he was having issues with the hinges,and the guy he sent the molds too had screwed him on it and the lids were poor quality to say the least(that's directly from Bill himself)he moved as well again, and he had never gotten around to getting the molds back if my memory serves me.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:02 pm 

Mudbogger wrote:
Dunno, he does not reply to my emails-I might not have a current 1-you by chance have it?
He was the last persons I knew that had them, he had made like 3-4 of them, but at the time we spoke about these which was probably 2 years ago he was having issues with the hinges,and the guy he sent the molds too had screwed him on it and the lids were poor quality to say the least(that's directly from Bill himself)he moved as well again, and he had never gotten around to getting the molds back if my memory serves me.

I think Tadrad just talk to him not long ago on the phone maybe he has his current contact info?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:48 am 

I may be working on getting a lid from a member-if I can acquire this lid, is there enough interest in these for a production run?
I have done production runs of the decals Pilot and 350,I think I may be able to locate a plastics firm for a reproduction of it,dependent on price of coarse.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:50 am 

Mudbogger wrote:
I may be working on getting a lid from a member-if I can acquire this lid, is there enough interest in these for a production run?
I have done production runs of the decals Pilot and 350,I think I may be able to locate a plastics firm for a reproduction of it,dependent on price of coarse.

Put me down for one

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:16 am 

hoser wrote:
Mudbogger wrote:

Put me down for one

that went without saying friend!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:57 am 

im in.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:30 pm 

I'm in for at least one since Mario has fallen off the face of the earth........ WITH mine.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:45 pm 

I have a lid could use for pattern but i would need to borrow a stock lid while mine is being copied, let me know.

Mike

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:24 pm 

I have a stock lid Mikey-you can have it-can I get the lid from you so I can bring it to a plastics company for a estimate on the molds?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:49 am 

I have a roof lid on it's way to me, finally got 1 through a member here, I will take it a plastic mold shop asap and we will go from there,results coming in future.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:50 pm 

Lid is here got it tonight, I will try in the coming week to look into local plastic firms to see if it can be made, costs, and production costs for the members if there is interest.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:27 pm 

Hey Mud, Im in for two.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:17 pm 

ok, thanks.I got some great imput from DC on these roofs as to upgrading them-they will be implemented in the new roof, waterproofing is top priority as is making the space alittle deeper for storage.The company name that made them is actually on the insert of the roof, I may even try to speak to them and see if I can get something accomplished through them.More to come.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:36 pm 

Mudbogger wrote:
ok, thanks.I got some great imput from DC on these roofs as to upgrading them-they will be implemented in the new roof, waterproofing is top priority as is making the space alittle deeper for storage.The company name that made them is actually on the insert of the roof, I may even try to speak to them and see if I can get something accomplished through them.More to come.

can it fit.. an fl350 :)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:48 pm 

The lid doesn't seem very complicated. If a mold is made from one of the originals I think it could be vacuum formed in plastic. It seems pretty easy to build a vacuum forming table, I saw a couple videos online.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:12 pm 

Just a thought, you could form these lids from Kydex. With a little heat, it can be vacuum formed or formed by hand. Very strong and durable stuff, and it's available in large sheets.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:35 pm 

please explain this material if you could.I have not expanded my search for a company to do these as work is 7 days a week still 14-16 hr days, so time is very limited to say the least these days.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:23 pm 

Kydex is a thermoforming plastic sheet material that can be formed easily when heated. It is commonly used in handgun holsters, because it can easily form to the gun's contours and is very stiff after forming. It's tough and abrasion resistant. It's usually black, but can be had in a number of colors, including red.

A quick google search for "kydex sheet" turns up these characteristics (copy & paste, not my words):

KYDEX® T Sheet Offers:
Superior cost/performance over FR ABS sheet
Higher breakage resistance (Notched Izod test) than competitive thermoplastics
Available in eight gauges from 0.028" (0.71 mm) and up to 0.250"
Available in multiple textures, colors and custom blank sizes
Among the most rigid of thermoforming materials; a modulus of elasticity of 360,000 psi
Easy to form with excellent part definition and deep-draw characteristics.
Single sheets up to .060" thick may be rolled for UPS upon request.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:16 pm 

That sounds like a good material. Vacuum forming is pretty easy. I have done small items. Basically you hold your plastic ( or kydex in this case) in a wooden frame. You then put it in the oven at the appropriate temp to soften the plastic you are using. The plastic softens from the heat and will start to droop and melt. You then take it out of the oven put it over the mold, clamp the frame to your box/table, and then you use a shop vac or other vacuum source ( which is under the table and sucks through a hole or multiple holes drilled through the table under your frame/box) it sucks the material over the mold. You then let it cool trim off excess and there's your part.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:25 pm 

hotrodd wrote:
That sounds like a good material. Vacuum forming is pretty easy. I have done small items. Basically you hold your plastic ( or kydex in this case) in a wooden frame. You then put it in the oven at the appropriate temp to soften the plastic you are using. The plastic softens from the heat and will start to droop and melt. You then take it out of the oven put it over the mold, clamp the frame to your box/table, and then you use a shop vac or other vacuum source ( which is under the table and sucks through a hole or multiple holes drilled through the table under your frame/box) it sucks the material over the mold. You then let it cool trim off excess and there's your part.

I bet the material mfg could assist you with the vacuum forming thing tell you the correct temps etc.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:57 pm 

I have only done small cosmetic parts with not real structure. It was very easy and barely required any vacuum because the plastic I used was very thin. You probably want 1/4". I have no idea what that would cost that stuff looks expensive.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:04 am 

Any more word on getting closer to producing these? i would probably be up for getting one

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:38 am 

I can use one or two too

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:42 pm 

I have not had any time to look at these at all, sorry fellas. Mabye in the coming months I'll get my ass in gear.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:35 pm 

Stixs you may need a roll bar around yours for when the brother in law drives or get a spare.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next