Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 10:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:10 pm 

King Kx wrote:
Those air filters are to small from my experiences. Uni's are hard to find in a big filter. Get some K&N's and wrap them with the universal uni air filter foam.

Contact UNI they will make you what ever size filter you need remember bigtom had some made?
http://www.dirtcheapracing.com/tech/airfilter/

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:42 pm 

I have experienced the same thing. I definately am going to stick wit UNI filters. I recently replaced the K&N on my yfz450 with a UNI. There are several local shops that stock up on UNI stuff, I will look for nicer filters there first. Hopefully they will have something on hand.
The guy I got the car from said the motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) had some port work and a fresh top end. He however did not know what the bore situation was. He told me they actually dyno'd the motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) and at the crank, with the 44mm carbs, it made 79hp, but honestly, when I test drove it, my fl350 felt faster, maybe not outta the hole, but top end for sure.
As for brakes, it does have 2 calipers, one on either side, but they are not cutting brakes. The trans does not have a diff, even though the previous owner thought it did. I lifted the front end and drug the car to the side and sure enough, the rear tires were locked together and did not spin in opposing directions. The brakes are scary on this thing as well. The rotors tend to wobble, spreading the brake pads while you drive. To stop, you have to first fully compress the brake pedal to suck the pads in tight, then let off and re-apply the brakes. WWWAAAYYYYY too much brake lag! Shoubadaba and I are on the case and we think we found the culprit. The CV's are simply slid onto the splines with no bolt to clamp them in place causing the wobbling issuse. Be sure it will be fixed before any major riding is done.

The steering is a half turn, lock to lock. When I first drove it I was sort of used to my RZR-S and I cranked the wheel and just about crapped my pants! Yoink! Pitched sideways!

Will take pics of spare trans soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:47 am 

nickRNR wrote:
I have experienced the same thing. I definately am going to stick wit UNI filters. I recently replaced the K&N on my yfz450 with a UNI. There are several local shops that stock up on UNI stuff, I will look for nicer filters there first. Hopefully they will have something on hand.
The guy I got the car from said the motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) had some port work and a fresh top end. He however did not know what the bore situation was. He told me they actually dyno'd the motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) and at the crank, with the 44mm carbs, it made 79hp, but honestly, when I test drove it, my fl350 felt faster, maybe not outta the hole, but top end for sure.
As for brakes, it does have 2 calipers, one on either side, but they are not cutting brakes. The trans does not have a diff, even though the previous owner thought it did. I lifted the front end and drug the car to the side and sure enough, the rear tires were locked together and did not spin in opposing directions. The brakes are scary on this thing as well. The rotors tend to wobble, spreading the brake pads while you drive. To stop, you have to first fully compress the brake pedal to suck the pads in tight, then let off and re-apply the brakes. WWWAAAYYYYY too much brake lag! Shoubadaba and I are on the case and we think we found the culprit. The CV's are simply slid onto the splines with no bolt to clamp them in place causing the wobbling issuse. Be sure it will be fixed before any major riding is done.

The steering is a half turn, lock to lock. When I first drove it I was sort of used to my RZR-S and I cranked the wheel and just about crapped my pants! Yoink! Pitched sideways!

Will take pics of spare trans soon.

The brakes would be a great question for ED perhaps it had floating disc or floating calipers when new and someone change the calipers or disc for something "better" and created the current problem, a few of the bolts on the calipers look a little long like they been changed I doubt any buggy builder would have left too long of a bolt in a race car (extra weight)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:26 am 

Nick,
Nice find. They're awesome cars! Total upgrade from the Ody's you're selling. As Mark (KingKX) put it...it's like driving a freakin' Cadillac.

I see lots of differences in our cars though. From the pics I think you have a Generation 1. They made a series of suspension modifications over the years until the last Generation 4 (I think...) had the dual A-Arms front and rear. That's the setup I have. I also have a Chenowth trans...which sucks b/c they're gone now.

Hoser is right. Call Ed at EEE, but have your shit together before calling. He's been willing to talk to me in the past but is no longer in business so I felt like I was taking up his time. So when I call, I try to have my questions lined up and ready to go. He's super nice to talk to and glad he's still around.

I'm really curious to see pics of the rear hubs and suspension. I haven't been able to find a ATV tire/wheel that will fit on the rear b/c of assembly size issues.

Great find! Good luck with her! Give me a call if you have questions...I'll do my best...

Brooks
480-683-4424

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:36 pm 

Hoser
good eye on the brakes. You are very well right as far as they might be changed out. The old owner said he thought they were from a GSXR street bike, so definately need to finger that issue out.
Brooks
thanks for the offer, I may just take you up on it if I hit a hard spot. This car is nice, I took it for a spin and it did ride like a cadillac compared to my fl350.
The front shocks are off of a suzuki ltz400, so they may need to be swapped out as well as the rear, will find out after the first ride. I will get all my ducks in a row before I call Ed and pester him too much. I will also take more pics of the trans and rear hubs. The old owner said the trans has been reinforced, the gears were all welded and beefed up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:51 am 

Here are some more pics I took today. Anyone see anything wrong with the shot of the carbs? Same problem with the fuel pump.
I removed both carbs, took them apart, cleaned them, and checked the jetting. I also measured the diameter of the slides, they are actually 38mm carbs, not 44mm, the previous owner was wrong. Here is how they are jetted...
#200 main jets
#40 pilot jets
Clips are all the way up in the #1 position
A/F screws are 1 full turn out

Attachments:
carb no clamp.JPG
carb no clamp.JPG [ 167.38 KiB | Viewed 700 times ]
cv spline missing a bolt.JPG
cv spline missing a bolt.JPG [ 163.63 KiB | Viewed 700 times ]
oil injection bypass.JPG
oil injection bypass.JPG [ 157.06 KiB | Viewed 700 times ]
pump no clamp.JPG
pump no clamp.JPG [ 188.28 KiB | Viewed 700 times ]
rear hub.JPG
rear hub.JPG [ 197.32 KiB | Viewed 700 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:54 am 

I was farting around today as well and made a quick idea of what the paint might look like. I was thinking of having a monster energy drink sticker on the hood as well.

Shoubadaba has drawn up some ideas too, he is normally better at mapping stuff like that out. Will keep things posted on the paint scheme, but probably wont be painting for a while.

Attachments:
Concept1.JPG [50.53 KiB]
Downloaded 149 times

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:04 am 

i SAW THAT SOME TIME AGO ON dEZ RACER SITE FOR 6000.00 gREAT SCORE!!!I like the red better that green???

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:50 pm 

nickRNR wrote:
Here are some more pics I took today. Anyone see anything wrong with the shot of the carbs? Same problem with the fuel pump.
I removed both carbs, took them apart, cleaned them, and checked the jetting. I also measured the diameter of the slides, they are actually 38mm carbs, not 44mm, the previous owner was wrong. Here is how they are jetted...
#200 main jets
#40 pilot jets
Clips are all the way up in the #1 position
A/F screws are 1 full turn out

Wow... 200 main jets? I don't know anything about that Engine but that sounds HUGE. You mentioned that it's not as fast as your FL350. That could be why. Maybe the previous owner was compensating for an air leak? What do the plugs look like?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:58 pm 

I run around a 480 to 500 jet in my 350 with a 38mm flatslide depending on elevation, but I am not really familiar with the idea of 2 carbs and cylinders. I am also thinking the jets are too big, but I will get it out and do a plug chop before I change anything. The plugs were pretty wet and dark, but the car has been sitting for a few years. I will swap out the plugs, they are B9ES's I will probably put in BR9ES's

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:59 pm 

nickRNR wrote:
I run around a 480 to 500 jet in my 350 with a 38mm flatslide depending on elevation, but I am not really familiar with the idea of 2 carbs and cylinders. I am also thinking the jets are too big, but I will get it out and do a plug chop before I change anything. The plugs were pretty wet and dark, but the car has been sitting for a few years. I will swap out the plugs, they are B9ES's I will probably put in BR9ES's

The mag side of the Engine will probably need fatter jetting than the clutch side , most snowmobile engines are like this.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:43 pm 

That is a new one on me, but much of this motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) will be new since I am unfamiliar with sled motors. Guess I will figure it all out once I have a chance to do a plug chop.

In the pics I posted above, you can see that there were no hose clamps on any of the fuel lines! I quickly remedied this. I am still getting a foul smell from the gas, so I may have to drain the tank again to get it flushed out. Also need to pull the fuel filter and change it. The plugs, poor fuel, and gummed up filter may be the reason the car is falling on its face on top end. Hopefully it is as easy as that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:48 pm 

nickRNR wrote:
That is a new one on me, but much of this motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) will be new since I am unfamiliar with sled motors. Guess I will figure it all out once I have a chance to do a plug chop.

In the pics I posted above, you can see that there were no hose clamps on any of the fuel lines! I quickly remedied this. I am still getting a foul smell from the gas, so I may have to drain the tank again to get it flushed out. Also need to pull the fuel filter and change it. The plugs, poor fuel, and gummed up filter may be the reason the car is falling on its face on top end. Hopefully it is as easy as that.

That was a good Engine if it has the right pipe when running right it should pull real hard from bottom to top without any hesitation, and rev out crisp and clean.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:52 pm 

The pipe has an embossed serial # on it, I will take a pic and post it up when I get home. It has what looks like a custom made "Y" pipe as well. Hopefully I can get this motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) to sing

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:11 pm 

nickRNR wrote:

Are those mikuni carbs? I couldn't tell from the pics. #200 would be super big for Keihin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:53 pm 

Yeah, they are mikuni 38mm roundslides. To my experience with my fl350, the #200 is kind of small, I run around a #480-#500 in my 38mm flatslide in the Ody, but like I said, this is a new motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:58 pm 

Took some shots of the spare tranny and exhaust system today. There is an embossed designation on the expansion chamber that reads "AAEN"

You can see the bolts that go through the stub axels on the spare tranny, the tranny that is in the car does not have any bolts holding the cv's on. I wonder if they are just not lined up right? I might tear into the rear end, slide the cv's off the splines and inspect stuff.

Attachments:
exhaust top.JPG
exhaust top.JPG [ 200.02 KiB | Viewed 700 times ]
y pipe.JPG
y pipe.JPG [ 151.04 KiB | Viewed 700 times ]
y pipe2.JPG
y pipe2.JPG [ 152.3 KiB | Viewed 700 times ]
y pipe3.JPG
y pipe3.JPG [ 149.17 KiB | Viewed 700 times ]
pipe n clutch.JPG
pipe n clutch.JPG [ 146.39 KiB | Viewed 700 times ]
chamber.JPG
chamber.JPG [ 156.98 KiB | Viewed 700 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:00 pm 

more

Attachments:
pipe to silencer.JPG
pipe to silencer.JPG [ 164.8 KiB | Viewed 701 times ]
spare tranny.JPG
spare tranny.JPG [ 234.11 KiB | Viewed 700 times ]
spare tranny tag.JPG
spare tranny tag.JPG [ 156.48 KiB | Viewed 700 times ]
spare tranny brakes.JPG
spare tranny brakes.JPG [ 227.99 KiB | Viewed 701 times ]
spare tranny shaft.JPG
spare tranny shaft.JPG [ 233.05 KiB | Viewed 700 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:49 pm 

I don't know for sure if it was made for your buggy (I assume it was though!) but AAEN is one of the top pipe makers in the country.

That's cool!

Tom

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:03 am 

That exhaust header doesn't look to be a very good free flow design.

Can it be made better?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:15 pm 

Cool, thanks for the info no AAEN, I have never heard of them. As for the header, the old owner did say it was a "custom made" deal. I might pull it off eventually and go in for a closer inspection. Right now, I am trying to get it ready for a trip coming up in 2 weeks. Always pressed for time! That is what makes it fun I guess.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:36 pm 

AAEN is supposed to be one of the better aftermarket pipe manufactures, I have a set of twin AAEN piped for my ody sled project motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )).

http://www.aaenperformance.com/index.asp

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:50 pm 

Says COMET on the spare trans you should contact them and see what info you can get from them maybe even split the cases and see whats inside. http://www.hoffcocomet.com/

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:11 pm 

I will do that. Between shoubadaba and myself, we have a transmission, complete spare motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )), wiring harness, all ignition parts, almost everything to make another car minus frame, suspension, etc... Hmm, sounds like a future custom build project in the works!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:02 am 

Got some more pics to post. The first 2 are pics of the new filters. I like them, but they hit the radiator hose. I am going to pick up some tubing and extend them away from the hose before i run the car. They are UNI's as you can see, dual stage, solid end cap, and wire frame supporting the inside. I think they will work quite nice. I might even toss a nylon stocking over them as another pre-filter.
The second 2 pics show the slop in the CV's, they slide in and out on the splines. I need to figure this problem out, will take rear apart and inspect soon.
Also, I did rebuild the carbs, put in new plugs, drain the tank (didnt trust the fuel), removed the pump (PITA!!!!!), cleaned everything, replaced the fuel lines, put in some new go-juice, and it runs pretty good. Filling the carb bowls with fuel SUCKS when you just have a pull start! Got my heart pumpin.

Attachments:
New filters1.JPG
New filters1.JPG [ 270.48 KiB | Viewed 700 times ]
New Filters2.JPG
New Filters2.JPG [ 283.38 KiB | Viewed 700 times ]
CV1.JPG
CV1.JPG [ 190.47 KiB | Viewed 700 times ]
CV2.JPG
CV2.JPG [ 174.88 KiB | Viewed 700 times ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next