Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: 1990 Pilot
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:57 pm 

nickRNR wrote:

I will keep that in mind. I also have a set of kenda dune runner 22'' paddles, but they are kinda hammered. I want to run these and see how I like them. don't know if it makes a huge difference, but the pilot does have a ATV Racing hand laid torque pipe, so maybe the previous owner was thinkin taller tires with a torquier power band?

I put a ATV-R torque pipe on my "stock" Pilot. Along with a 38mm carb and VForce reeds, it definitely pulled harder out of the hole. (That was my "seat of the pants" feel, anyway.) I never changed out the stock clutch on that Pilot. So... those 24" paddles might work fine for you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:58 am 

Nice. I have a mikuni 38mm flat slide i was thinking of putting in, but i wanted to run the stock carb first just to have a comparison

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:38 pm 

here is a pic with the cage off. Rusty and I sanded it today, waiting on the weather to warm up some so it can be painted. looks like it will be close to the March 20 deadline with added time for the paint to cure. should look good once done.

pulled the carb and found a few things that were interisting. 2 of the bowl screws were cranked on super tight, one was already starting to strip and i wound up stripping another one. had to use my dremel and cut a slot in these 2 screws and use a flat head screwdriver to remove them. second, the bowl had been sealed with silicone. hmm...

checked the jetting...
main...150
pilot...52
needle clip...#1
air/fuel screw...1&1/4 out

seems to me like it might be a bit lean, the sales people told me it was last ran at dumont (around 700' elevation at the lower parts). guess i would have to run it to really find out how the jetting is. i also believe they were mixing fuel at 20:1, i plan on mixing at 32:1. i never trust other peoples mixed fuel, i plan to drain the gas. is there an easy way to drain the tank?

below is a pic of the pilot with the cage off. more to come...

Attachments:
cage off.jpg
cage off.jpg [ 216.18 KiB | Viewed 507 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:52 pm 

nickRNR wrote:
here is a pic with the cage off. Rusty and I sanded it today, waiting on the weather to warm up some so it can be painted. looks like it will be close to the March 20 deadline with added time for the paint to cure. should look good once done.

pulled the carb and found a few things that were interisting. 2 of the bowl screws were cranked on super tight, one was already starting to strip and i wound up stripping another one. had to use my dremel and cut a slot in these 2 screws and use a flat head screwdriver to remove them. second, the bowl had been sealed with silicone. hmm...

checked the jetting...
main...150
pilot...52
needle clip...#1
air/fuel screw...1&1/4 out

seems to me like it might be a bit lean, the sales people told me it was last ran at dumont (around 700' elevation at the lower parts). guess i would have to run it to really find out how the jetting is. i also believe they were mixing fuel at 20:1, i plan on mixing at 32:1. i never trust other peoples mixed fuel, i plan to drain the gas. is there an easy way to drain the tank?

below is a pic of the pilot with the cage off. more to come...

needle clip...#1 ??
That all the way to the top or to the bottom?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:33 am 

Fuel Tank has a drain bolt directly under the tank...Baz

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:22 pm 

#1 all the way to the top. That would mean they went as lean as they could in the mid range I guess

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:27 pm 

nickRNR wrote:
#1 all the way to the top. That would mean they went as lean as they could in the mid range I guess

don't run it like that, if you have it all the way to one end or the other something is wrong, lucky for you is all the way lean, take it for a test run and see how it runs, put the clip back to the middle then see how bad it is, my guess is the main jet is way too big and they compensate for it by lowering the needle, if it blubbers on the top end then the main is too big go one smaller until the blubber goes away, the mid range should be nice and crisp, if the top end is still ok and the bottom is too fat then go to a smaller slow get and adjust the air screw...

Remember the sand will require more fuel (more load in sand) so jet it on the fat side if not jetting at the dunes with the paddles on.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:57 pm 

that is what i was thinking. Rusty has a keihin 39mm carb and is runnin a 45 slow jet. 52 on a stock carb seems pretty big. i will move the clip to the middle #3 spot and open the screw to 1&1/2 which i think is stock. will leave the main and slow jets for now and do some tuning when we go to Glamis march 20th.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:32 am 

got some pics of the cage and down tube after Rusty painted them. I suck at painting, i would have nothin but runs. Its all sprayed, just have to let it cure for a week or so then bolt them on.

Attachments:
cage painted.jpg
cage painted.jpg [ 85.11 KiB | Viewed 727 times ]
down tube painted.jpg
down tube painted.jpg [ 79.45 KiB | Viewed 727 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:46 pm 

Got the cage back on, Rusty made some brackets and wired up some hellas for me. I didnt take a pic of mine with the lights mounted, but i stuck a pic of Rusty's with the same exact light configuration. Cant wait for glamis next weekend!

Attachments:
My Pilot w fresh painted cage.jpg
My Pilot w fresh painted cage.jpg [ 223.53 KiB | Viewed 507 times ]
Rusty's Pilot.jpg
Rusty's Pilot.jpg [ 239.9 KiB | Viewed 508 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:57 pm 

nickRNR wrote:
Got the cage back on, Rusty made some brackets and wired up some hellas for me. I didnt take a pic of mine with the lights mounted, but i stuck a pic of Rusty's with the same exact light configuration. Cant wait for glamis next weekend!

Sweet!

Hey get Rusty to fire up his camera and take pics of his rides and post, he has some real nice DIY mods others need to see that and his shit worked fantastic !

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:05 pm 

got a pic of my pilot with the lights mounted and wired up.

Attachments:
Nicks Pilot w lights.jpg [84.37 KiB]
Downloaded 183 times

Post subject: pilot lights
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:06 pm 

Hello, did you wire them into the headlight switches and if so did you add a relay?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:53 pm 

I wired them with there own switch with fuses and relays for my pilot as well as nicks. The switch is located under the roof on the left. So just reach up and turn them on. Ill get some pics up of the brakets and the switch soon

Post subject: Pilot lights
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:11 pm 

Hello, thank you for the info.

It looks like you have some very very nice rides, could you post some pics of them they look awesome!!!!!!!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:19 pm 

We will be going to glamis this friday, will post some action shots and maybe some videos on youtube as well. cant wait to tear up some dunes!

thanks!