Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 700 Rotax Pilot project
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:24 pm 

Hi folks. I have not been here in awhile and thought I would share my latest Pilot Project. Here is a link to my Photo bucket. The pics are shown from current back to the beginning of the project. I streached the frame 6.5" to have more room for the motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) and exhaust. It will also give me better high speed stability. Starting to put it back together now.

http://s293.photobucket.com/albums/mm72 ... t%20Build/

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:47 pm 

very nice - great work!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:33 am 

Looks good how much did you stretch the frame?

Running yet?

The fun factor should be real high using that Engine :-)

I am not sure I understand the trans input shaft you replaced the whole shaft?

Engine and trans are tied together and then both float as one unit like the stock Engine and trans does?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:38 am 

Welcome back Steve, nice rig nice shop and when its done I bet that is one hardcore machine, be nice to have a custom pipe shaped more like a pilot's, looks like the fuel tank will fit back in there too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:39 am 

hoser wrote:
Looks good how much did you stretch the frame?

Thanks, I steached the frame 6 1/2". I based the dimension on leaving the front radius arm mount position in its original location for the Long travel rear suspension.
--------------------------------

Running yet?

Just starting to put it back together. target is to be ready for the little Sahara trip in June
----------------------------------

The fun factor should be real high using that Engine :-)

Yea we already put one of these in Dave S pilot. Lots of torque.
------------------------------------

I am not sure I understand the trans input shaft you replaced the whole shaft?

Yes it will replace the OEM shaft. We made it in two pieces to be able to remove the Team driven clutch without removing the trans. BTW the Trans lower main shaft seals and the case gaskets are no longer avalable from Honda.
----------------------------------

Engine and trans are tied together and then both float as one unit like the stock Engine and trans does?

The Engine and trans are seperate similar to the Sled application. Trans will be mounted semi solid in Delrin bushings and the Engine will be mounted in Skidoo rubber mounts. There will also be a torque support similar to the Sled. I wanted to have some flexibility in clutch aligment and and belt adjustment.
---------------------------------

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:45 am 

Hey Hare, hows it going? Thanks for the compliments. I am using a cutom pipe very similar to the Pilot pipe just a lot bigger. I had Aaon make me a dual core silenser for it to quiet it down. I will be building a custom Aluminum gas tank for it this weekend. We found that the 700 motors use's a bit more fuel than the Pilot 500 motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) so I wanted a larger tank. The custom tank will hold 6.3 gallons. If you follow the Photobucket link back I have some pics of the Exhaust and cardboard mockup for the gas tank.

Hare wrote:
Welcome back Steve, nice rig nice shop and when its done I bet that is one hardcore machine, be nice to have a custom pipe shaped more like a pilot's, looks like the fuel tank will fit back in there too.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:54 pm 

Welcome back, nice to see you posting agin here. Very impressive Pilot, good luck with it and keep uP the postings on this project!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:49 am 

Been working on the gas tank as of late. Almost done. Here it is mocked up for final fit.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:52 pm 

Dump the TRA/Skidoo primary. They collect belt dust and need to get cleaned out, I can only imagine how bad it'll get when sand and dirt start.

It's possible to purchase a P85 cut to skidoo's crank taper. I had one. Be much easier to keep clean.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:01 pm 

jcode wrote:
Dump the TRA/Skidoo primary. They collect belt dust and need to get cleaned out, I can only imagine how bad it'll get when sand and dirt start.

It's possible to purchase a P85 cut to skidoo's crank taper. I had one. Be much easier to keep clean.

Actually the TRA holds up very well in the dirt and sand I seen the one on Lightspeeds Drakart literally pour sand out of the holes when he stopped and turned off the Engine, he can chime in on any problems he might have had with the TRA.

Before the TRA I seen Lightspeed beating on his Comet (102 or was it a 108) with a claw hammer (typical carpenter, snicker) out in the middle of the dunes when it locked up because of the same sand getting inside.

After witnessing the Coment VS TRA personally my vote would go to the TRA hands down, what say you Lightspeed you actually owned and used the crap out of both...

Whats a P85?

Any guess how many gallons the tank is?

Looking good keep going!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:25 pm 

Polaris's primary clutch. Looks like the Comet

That's great it survives in the sand, but that wouldn't make me all that comfortable knowing sand was pooring out of it. I have no experience with it but have been a skidoo rider for good few years and on the skidoo forum, paying member, for about 3 or 4 years now. The P85 has better pull all the way through, the TRA tends to pull till the top end. If this is noticeable to the driver or not, not really sure, but the P85 I had pulled HARD on my long track skidoo and 800cc motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )).

The TRA, people like them because of the clicker system on them to adjust RPMs on as needed IIRC. Also the rubber dampner on them kills some of the vibration. Also lots of TRA's go for decade with no service just fine.

Just a thought I had knowing they collect dust it's inevitable it collects sand. Also pay attention to what belt you use. I'm pretty sure the 600ho and 700 motors have the Stamped clutches. The 800 and 440 race sleds have the Forged clutches. The Stamped sleeves will get grooves if use hard belts or belts meant for 800/440 sleds. How hard of a compound you can go I don't know. I just know the belts in the skidoo world can't swap down.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:32 pm 

I can't comment on all clutches out there but I think the TRA III that I had was light years ahead of the Comet 108 expurt and the Arctic Cat 9 tower. Mine shifted fantastic for 9 years of some hard ass driving (In my "humble" opinion! :shock: ) in mostly sand but plenty of dirt and mud. It still shifts fantastic. Not that cleaning it would have made it even better. I did finally make a aluminum cover/guard to keep 80% of the sand out since it bothered me. It got so much sand thrown at it that it actually "sand blasted" the 1 through 6 off around the adjustment nut....that's some sand.

I think a person would be a fool to run anything else then what was designed for the motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) after seeing how great it was after 9 years in all that crappy riding conditions and still running like a Timex.

Tom

BTW I betcha that Odyknuck isn't going to have much of a problem with people beating him on top end......he won't be around long enough to ever find out. This thing is going to be just crazy fast.

Tom

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:26 pm 

You got pics of that clutch cover? Interested in seeing that.

Fool not to run stock clutch? Maybe. I personally liked the p85 on my doo. It was mostly the mountain riders doing it anyhow. Cooler running and easier to change weights on was main reasons. Frankly neither of which would be much concern in a cart. Was just concerned about it holding sand but if it works, it works!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:42 pm 

Hoser I calculated the Tank volume to 6.2 Gallons give or take a quart. The TRA clutch is a no brainer to use. They work quite well, designed for the motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) and can be bought on Ebay everyday for 50 to 100 bucks. If it wears out then I will simply replace it with another and move on. I suspect I will have a spare in my tool box of parts lol. FL700nut has been running one on his 700 Pilot with no issues other than normal wear and tare. I am running a team (Polaris driven) and may have some pitch mismatch however I was told by Team it would not be a problem. One is 12 degrees and the other is 13 degrees or something like that. And yes I suspect the Buggy to be pretty fast and is one of the reasons I did the frame streach for high speed stability.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:08 am 

Really nice so far, keep the pics coming. I love reading projects like this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:16 am 

Weekend Updates, Completed Trans assembly with new 2 piece Driven clutch shaft and Gas Tank.
Installation complete.
http://s293.photobucket.com/albums/mm72 ... t%20Build/

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:18 am 

Is the idler bearing support for the driven out put shaft mounted to the frame or the Engine trans asembly. I can not tell form the pic. If mounted to the frame is there any wiggly room as the trans /Engine flexes on the Engine/trans rubber mounts. Do you feel this may cause stress on the shaft as it flexes and excert side load on the bearings.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:54 am 

It is mounted to the frame, however I replaced the stock rubber trans mounts with Delrin/steel inner sleeves and there is no play in the trans. I will be making a Torque arm from the motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) to the trans to also help aleviate any flex from motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) torque. It is currently in the design phase. It will be very similar to how it's done in sled using the same spot on the back of the Engine case.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:51 am 

Project Updates:

motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) tork stop assembly

motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) tork stop assembly Installed

New Laser cut Rotor Installed

Long Travel Front suspension Installed

Exhaust System Installed

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:00 pm 

You seem to have much more room than I have with the 670. Is the 700 that much more compact? That much more room in the Pilot vs Odyssey? More offset to the left in your motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) placement?..Interesting, and nice work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:30 pm 

DaveM wrote:
You seem to have much more room than I have with the 670. Is the 700 that much more compact? That much more room in the Pilot vs Odyssey? More offset to the left in your motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) placement?..Interesting, and nice work.

You did notice he stretched the frame didnt you?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:41 pm 

The 670 and 700 are very close in size. As Hoser said I streached the frame that not only made it longer , the natural splay of the frame made it 2 1/2" wider in the motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) compartment

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:02 pm 

this is badass! looking keep up the good work!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:31 am 

It was the width at the Engine that I was looking at and comparing to mine. No way is a tank sitting beside my motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) like that. I'm right at the frame rail with the recoil.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:41 am 

DaveM wrote:
It was the width at the Engine that I was looking at and comparing to mine. No way is a tank sitting beside my motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) like that. I'm right at the frame rail with the recoil.

The tank is notched around the Engine the Engine is not as narrow as you think, I am sure he can take a quick measurement and give you the width.

Profile E-mail