Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:20 pm 

my guess is the tank is rusted and really thin. will take it off and see what i come up with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:51 am 

Got the tank fixed for now, will do better repairs to it later. Now I have another issue. The bike starts up and idles fine, sounds really good, doesnt smoke, but it wont rev up at all. I give it gas and it acts like it is choking out. I did rebuild the carb, but maybe the jets still might have some small crap in them? I shot carb cleaner through the jets and used my air compressor as well. I am thinking it is a fuel delivery problem. I tried it with the choke on, choke off, petcock set to reserve, petcock set to on, i adjusted the air/fuel screw, nothing seemed to make a difference. I did have the air filter off, would that cause it to lean way out? I would think that if that were the case, then it should run different with the choke on, i even tried it with the choke at 1/2 on, 1/4 on, 3/4 on. I will also check for an air leak. Was hoping to take it out this weekend, but looks like i will not have time to fix it before we leave today. Dang.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:04 pm 

nickRNR wrote:
Got the tank fixed for now, will do better repairs to it later. Now I have another issue. The bike starts up and idles fine, sounds really good, doesnt smoke, but it wont rev up at all. I give it gas and it acts like it is choking out. I did rebuild the carb, but maybe the jets still might have some small crap in them? I shot carb cleaner through the jets and used my air compressor as well. I am thinking it is a fuel delivery problem. I tried it with the choke on, choke off, petcock set to reserve, petcock set to on, i adjusted the air/fuel screw, nothing seemed to make a difference. I did have the air filter off, would that cause it to lean way out? I would think that if that were the case, then it should run different with the choke on, i even tried it with the choke at 1/2 on, 1/4 on, 3/4 on. I will also check for an air leak. Was hoping to take it out this weekend, but looks like i will not have time to fix it before we leave today. Dang.

Restriction in the exhaust some place?

Valve timing wrong?

Valve adjustments wrong?

Ignition timing wrong? (points or CDI (Capacitor Discharge Ignition)? )

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:04 pm 

Ignition is points. I havent checked the valves, i think the range they shuold be in is .0012 to .0016 gap (might be wrong on the decimel placement). I was also thinking that the exhaust might be plugged up, I will check that as well. I am not sure how to check the valve timing and ignition timing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:26 pm 

nickRNR wrote:
Ignition is points. I havent checked the valves, i think the range they shuold be in is .0012 to .0016 gap (might be wrong on the decimel placement). I was also thinking that the exhaust might be plugged up, I will check that as well. I am not sure how to check the valve timing and ignition timing.

Get into the manual for the valve and ignition timing, you might be one tooth off on the cam chain? I was thinking if it was off a tooth or so it would run bad.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 9:20 am 

Did you get it running?

Here is a parts guy if you need anything.

http://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/mcy/1725289513.html

Bob ::-:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 9:46 am 

badbob66 wrote:
Did you get it running?

Here is a parts guy if you need anything.

http://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/mcy/1725289513.html

Nice find maybe he has a solid tank at a reasonable price?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 12:13 pm 

i will contact him and see what he has got. I am still having problems with it. I took it to my "local guru" on 70's and we messed with it. Looked into the flywheel/stator/points area and saw there was tons of garbage in there from a pull start rope that must have shredded at one point in time. We had to order a flywheel puller from www.dratv.com because a steering wheel puller wont work. Should have it in a few days.

On the plus side, I scored another 70 from craigslist for $125, it is in pretty bad shape, but it has a good seat pan, i used the grab bar from it on my current 70, the chain guard, seat brackets, and a few other things. The tank is totally rusted. I will post pics of it when I am ready to work on it in another project thread.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 12:31 pm 

nickRNR wrote:
i will contact him and see what he has got. I am still having problems with it. I took it to my "local guru" on 70's and we messed with it. Looked into the flywheel/stator/points area and saw there was tons of garbage in there from a pull start rope that must have shredded at one point in time. We had to order a flywheel puller from www.dratv.com because a steering wheel puller wont work. Should have it in a few days.

On the plus side, I scored another 70 from craigslist for $125, it is in pretty bad shape, but it has a good seat pan, i used the grab bar from it on my current 70, the chain guard, seat brackets, and a few other things. The tank is totally rusted. I will post pics of it when I am ready to work on it in another project thread.

I need to get my two ATC110's out and get them running again they are so much fun, I also want to hop one of them up, big bore, cam, carb, pipe the works, problem is neither one needs a rebuild so its a shame to bore one to the max lol, I guess I should find a spare cylinder heh.

I see that guy also has some FL250 stuff
http://www.dratv.com/odesseyparts.html

Cant wait to see you on that 70, that flywheel puller should be the standard Honda puller available at almost any cycle shop for about 15 bux... it will fit a whole bunch of different applications, I know it fits the FL250 FL350 ATC250R for sure.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 1:05 pm 

I know you need another :-)

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/ant/mc ... 17069.html

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 1:24 pm 

another one.
Is this the one you got for $125?
http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/mcy/1725227455.html

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 1:38 pm 

Maybe this one, it's cheap :-)

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/mcy/1678845562.html

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 1:50 pm 

badbob66 wrote:
another one.
Is this the one you got for $125?
http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/mcy/1725227455.html

ha, that one is actually better lookin than mine! just wait, you will see.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 1:53 pm 

hoser wrote:
nickRNR wrote:

I need to get my two ATC110's out and get them running again they are so much fun, I also want to hop one of them up, big bore, cam, carb, pipe the works, problem is neither one needs a rebuild so its a shame to bore one to the max lol, I guess I should find a spare cylinder heh.

I see that guy also has some FL250 stuff
http://www.dratv.com/odesseyparts.html

Cant wait to see you on that 70, that flywheel puller should be the standard Honda puller available at almost any cycle shop for about 15 bux... it will fit a whole bunch of different applications, I know it fits the FL250 FL350 ATC250R for sure.

My buddy actually hopped online right then and there when the steering wheel puller wasn't working and he ordered one, so I wont need to worry about buying one. I will check out the bike shops and get prices if it comes down to needing one. Man I was really missing the 70 when we went to dumont this weekend and Doug/westecbuilder had one. Oh well, life goes on. It will be done soon enough.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:38 pm 

Some updates, I got a few issues worked out with the spark. I soldered in a new ignition coil inside the stator, new points and condensor, new spark plug, and snipped the end of the spark plug wire off that shoves into the external coil and made sure it had good connection, screwed the plug wire retainer on nice and tight, and it has a really strong spark. I also got the gas tank re-welded by a radiator shop, i Kreme lined it (it is drying now, will put gas in tomorrow and see if she runs), and also had the tank and forks powder coated black. The wife picked out some honda stickers she liked for the tank, it is all together at the moment, I guess tomorrow is the day to see if it runs as good as it looks.

Attachments:
complete.jpg
complete.jpg [ 187.62 KiB | Viewed 688 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:10 pm 

some black xr50 tall handlebars and a blue crossbar pad would look awesome on that. you done a good job

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:39 pm 

looks good cant wait to see it when i get back from this 2 week east coast road trip

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:54 pm 

shoubadaba wrote:
looks good cant wait to see it when i get back from this 2 week east coast road trip

road trip? didnt i drop you off at LAX AIRPORT?

well, the damn 70 still runs like shit. gonna do a compression check tomorrow and adjust the valves. played with the points but still no bueno

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:30 am 

Yes u did but we have driven 1100 mile around 4 states so far North carolina kentucky virgina and west virginia

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:53 pm 

shoubadaba wrote:
Yes u did but we have driven 1100 mile around 4 states so far North carolina kentucky virgina and west virginia

WTF you doing on the right coast?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:58 pm 

visiting my wifes family in North Carolina and some family in Logan and Huntington West Virginia. Tomarrow we head back to NC to go see the Nascar hall of fame. Its been a real fun trip so far. Ive never been out here in this part of the country

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:06 am 

shoubadaba wrote:
visiting my wifes family in North Carolina and some family in Logan and Huntington West Virginia. Tomarrow we head back to NC to go see the Nascar hall of fame. Its been a real fun trip so far. Ive never been out here in this part of the country

Sounds like Charlotte. If you get close to Raleigh I can show you the local ATV park out here ... too bad its practically the worst time of year to visit though when the heat is always 90-100 it seems.