Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: My restoration project
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:20 pm 

As some of you might know my 350 blew up on my birthday a month ago.Lower end locked up taking the top end with it.So pulled motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) out and decided to paint it while I was at it.I have zero confidence this paint job will hold up but its the best I can do,cant pay somebody to sandblast it and powdercoat it.I sandblasted it myself and used rustoleum primer and spray paint on it.The frame is silver,front lower arms and rear radius arms are chrome,and what was black before is still black{except I painted rims black also}.I have a bumper coming for it.
Got a complete motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) on ebay for about 350 bucks with shipping,I think people were scared off because it has some jb weld on the lower cases.I was scared too but took the chance.The guy had 100 percent feedback and said it was running for him like that and that both the lower end and top end had recently been done.Just finished today and fired it up,compression is at 132 psi so we'll see how it goes

Attachments:
File comment: now
DSC00626.JPG
DSC00626.JPG [ 2.37 MiB | Viewed 1296 times ]
DSC00627.JPG
DSC00627.JPG [ 2.3 MiB | Viewed 1298 times ]
DSC00630.JPG
DSC00630.JPG [ 1.35 MiB | Viewed 1298 times ]
File comment: before pic
CIMG6291.JPG
CIMG6291.JPG [ 1.05 MiB | Viewed 1297 times ]
DSC00628.JPG
DSC00628.JPG [ 2.08 MiB | Viewed 1297 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:38 pm 

nothing?
no comments :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:49 pm 

redskinman wrote:
nothing?

looks good!

i saw the JB weld motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) on there.. make sure you check the exhaust bridge

whats compression on that motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? ))? what bore was it on?

JB weld is tough stuff. should defiantly hold up to crankcase pressure. I have heard stories of jbweld being used to repair some crazy things.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:00 am 

Tpreed wrote:
redskinman wrote:
nothing?

looks good!

i saw the JB weld motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) on there.. make sure you check the exhaust bridge

whats compression on that motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? ))? what bore was it on?

JB weld is tough stuff. should defiantly hold up to crankcase pressure. I have heard stories of jbweld being used to repair some crazy things.

I forgot to ask him what bore it was on,I should have but didnt think about it.Compression is 132 psi.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:26 pm 

what size rears are you running on that please.They look huge!!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:11 pm 

Mudbogger wrote:

Stole my "comment"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:12 pm 

I had to JB weld a tiny spot where the oil drain hole had cracked. no run time on it yet though. Did you paint that whole frame with a rattle can? It looks pretty good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:30 pm 

before you run the motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) i would pop off the top end and inspect everything. check exhaust bridge, check of oiling holes in piston, thirty bucks in gaskets could save you a premature rebuild. if nothing else, it is piece of mind.

ody looks good!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:05 am 

Mudbogger wrote:

they are goodyear 25x11x10
is that normal? that's what was on it when I bought it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:07 am 

Sunblock wrote:
I had to JB weld a tiny spot where the oil drain hole had cracked. no run time on it yet though. Did you paint that whole frame with a rattle can? It looks pretty good.

this was your Engine?
yes its was all rattle can,,my finger was numb :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:56 am 

redskinman wrote:
Sunblock wrote:

this was your Engine?
yes its was all rattle can,,my finger was numb :-)

No it wasn't my Engine, I have one I applied some JB weld to about a week ago. The case had a crack in the short housing for the drain plug from stress where it had been over torqued in the past. . I just put some JB around the housing to cover up the crack and some over the drain bolt itself to seal it up real well. Its not the best way to fix it, but the Engine has very little run time on it after a full rebuild and I was too lazy to pull the motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) and replace the case half or have it welded shut by a pro. That part of the motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) does not need very much oil if you use good stuff and I figure I can just suck it out with my mighty vac when I need to change it.

I did not see the auction, does your new motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) have JB weld in the same place ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:30 am 

here are the pics of the Engine
http://www.flickr.com/photos/26669397@N ... 066069519/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:06 am 

I have a comment or two.

Looks good

Nice work

Glad to see your up and running and thank you for sharing pics. I like pics.

I'm not a jb weld fan except in emergencies. I would always prefer to have welded and fixed correctly when ever I could.

I say run the fun out of it and then do it again. How about some action pics or video. I like video with my morning coffee.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:47 pm 

adnoh wrote:
I have a comment or two.

Looks good

Nice work

I'm not a jb weld fan except in emergencies. I would always prefer to have welded and fixed correctly when ever I could.

I say run the fun out of it and then do it again. How about some action pics or video. I like video with my morning coffee.

thanks
yeah I'm not a big fan of using jbweld either,but for the price of that Engine i couldnt pass it up.Before my Engine blew up I already had a hoserized top end ready to go,so now the bottom end is being hoserized and when that's done I'll have another complete Engine ready to go
My local atv park{which was only 45 minutes away}closed because they were taken over by imminent domain by city of houston,which f ing sucks.Plus they were open during the week,now I have to drive 2 hrs somewhere on a weekend to ride,so i don't know when I'll be able to get any video

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:57 pm 

What place was this that got shut down???
Bastards... eminite domain is a crock of crap...
redskinman wrote:
adnoh wrote:
I have a comment or two.

Looks good

Nice work

thanks
yeah I'm not a big fan of using jbweld either,but for the price of that Engine i couldnt pass it up.Before my Engine blew up I already had a hoserized top end ready to go,so now the bottom end is being hoserized and when that's done I'll have another complete Engine ready to go
My local atv park{which was only 45 minutes away}closed because they were taken over by imminent domain by city of houston,which f ing sucks.Plus they were open during the week,now I have to drive 2 hrs somewhere on a weekend to ride,so i don't know when I'll be able to get any video

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:37 pm 

[quote="Turbotexas"]What place was this that got shut down???
Bastards... eminite domain is a crock of crap...
[quote="redskinman"][

http://www.springcreekoffroad.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:49 am 

SPRING CREEK OFF ROAD PARK MAY BE CLOSED, BUT THE GROUP OF AVID OFFROADERS REMAINS!! PLEASE JOIN THE FORUMS TO GET THE LASTEST INFORMATION ON WHAT WE ARE DOING NEXT. INFO WILL BE POSTED AS IT BECOMES AVAILABLE.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:26 pm 

took off after work today to an atv park.Rode for about 35 minutes mostly on straightaways running up to about 3/4 throttle.Was hauling butt then it just died and i thought oh shit here we go again.Got off and saw the rectifier was hanging down{apparently I forgot to tighten those bolts good when putting back together}but it wasn't disconnected from anything.So I couldnt do anything with it but let it hang there,it started right back up and i putted it back to the truck.Checked compression when I got home and its still at 130 psi,so hopefully all it was was the rectifier,we'll see

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:56 am 

redskinman wrote:
took off after work today to an atv park.Rode for about 35 minutes mostly on straightaways running up to about 3/4 throttle.Was hauling butt then it just died and i thought oh shit here we go again.Got off and saw the rectifier was hanging down{apparently I forgot to tighten those bolts good when putting back together}but it wasn't disconnected from anything.So I couldnt do anything with it but let it hang there,it started right back up and i putted it back to the truck.Checked compression when I got home and its still at 130 psi,so hopefully all it was was the rectifier,we'll see

Have you checked the jetting?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:13 am 

hoser wrote:
redskinman wrote:

no,that's the last thing i was worried about,guess I have a lot to learn about this Engine.Would that cause it just to shut down like that? This is the same carb that was on the other Engine,I ve checked it before,if i remember correctly it was the stock jetting in stock carb.
On side note,did you get my pm's? havent heard whether you got that last package with the gaskets

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:53 pm 

redskinman wrote:
hoser wrote:
redskinman wrote:

no,that's the last thing i was worried about,guess I have a lot to learn about this Engine.Would that cause it just to shut down like that? This is the same carb that was on the other Engine,I ve checked it before,if i remember correctly it was the stock jetting in stock carb.
On side note,did you get my pm's? haven't heard whether you got that last package with the gaskets

Its hard telling why it stopped running when a Engine just stops like that you need to perform some checks to see why, most the time when a running Engine just stops its because it lost spark or lost fuel, you need to verify each soon as it dies.

I will assume as the Engine died you ended up pushing down harder on the throttle and by time it died all together you had the throttle wide open? usually when a Engine loses spark while running if you immediately pull the plug the plug will be wet with gas because when you lost spark you quit burning the gas so it builds up and can even flood the Engine.

When you pull the spark plug if its all wet chances are you lost spark, if when you pull it and its all dry you ran out of gas.

I don't know anything about the 350's rectifier is it rubber isolated in the mounting system or is it a hard mount where they rely on one of the mounts to ground the unit to the frame?

On a machine that old and some what new to you the first thing I would do is ensure every part of the fuel system is completely clean and free of water, all the hoses are routed properly, filter good, gas cap vent good. etc. their are a bunch of 350 guys here that have had fuel system problems I am sure can give you solid advice on testing and checking.

Gaskets are here, refresh me so I have everything?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:54 pm 

as soon as it lost power I got off the throttle.Rectifier is a hard mount,but it started right back up with rectifier hanging down not grounded to anything,so that's puzzling.
this is what you asked for for my lower end

Here is a parts list for the bottom end, full gasket kit, all the bearings, all the seals, dowel pins, and cylinder nuts just in case yours are buggered up (most are or their rusted up)

061A0-VM0-773 GASKET KIT
91201-VM0-003 OIL SEAL, 30X50X7
91202-VM0-003 OIL SEAL, 25X40X8
91203-VM0-004 OIL SEAL, 45X62X8
91032-VM0-003 BEARING, RADIAL BALL, 6306
91033-VM0-003 BEARING, RADIAL BALL, 6307
91102-GE0-003 BEARING, RADIAL BALL, 6204 (need two)
90036-357-000 PIN, DOWEL, 12X16 (need two)
94301-10140 PIN A, DOWEL, 10X14 (need two)
94050-10000 NUT, FLANGE, 10MM (need four)

so youve recieved 4 boxes for me,one containing gaskets,one that just had the one bearing,another from cyclepartsnation containing everything else,and one that had flywheel and stator
thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:56 pm 

bolted rectifier back up, just took it for about a 5 minute ride down the canal by my house.It ran great till I got back to my house,got on the throttle and it started to die,got off throttle and it stayed running but sputtering if you got on it.Tried to take video of it doing it,it only did it a little bit around the 50 second mark of video.
Did a compression test again and it was down to 120,the other times i checked it when it was 130 the Engine was cold,does that make a difference? that 10 lb drop has me scared,I thought it might just be a gas problem till I saw that.Will take another reading after Engine cools down a while
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6uUHSxf2xE

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:58 pm 

what does the spark plug look like!!!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:13 pm 

redskinman wrote:
bolted rectifier back up, just took it for about a 5 minute ride down the canal by my house.It ran great till I got back to my house,got on the throttle and it started to die,got off throttle and it stayed running but sputtering if you got on it.Tried to take video of it doing it,it only did it a little bit around the 50 second mark of video.
Did a compression test again and it was down to 120,the other times i checked it when it was 130 the Engine was cold,does that make a difference? that 10 lb drop has me scared,I thought it might just be a gas problem till I saw that.Will take another reading after Engine cools down a while
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6uUHSxf2xE

You better start making some checks to figure out what it is, video camera is not going to fix it...

If the compression is dropping the Engine might be trying to seize up on you, again you need to determine if your running out of gas or losing spark or keep running it until it wont run no more then track down the problem...

Profile E-mail