Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 2:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:56 pm 

made a pattern out of cardboard then traced and cut out using.. a roadsign.

still need to either bend aluminum or cut and connect with softer metal. after its installed i will make pattern for side panels

Attachments:
IMG_6899.jpg
IMG_6899.jpg [ 529.93 KiB | Viewed 710 times ]
IMG_6900.jpg
IMG_6900.jpg [ 512.45 KiB | Viewed 710 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:47 pm 

Looks good I would see if you can get it bent, know anybody that works at a high school or college that might have a brake? School is out you can sneak in and use it for a min?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:13 pm 

hoser wrote:
Looks good I would see if you can get it bent, know anybody that works at a high school or college that might have a brake? School is out you can sneak in and use it for a min?

my uncle has a bender but i think its for thinner types of metal, i might end up either clamping it between two pieces of steel on each side and bending by hand

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:22 pm 

Tpreed wrote:
hoser wrote:

my uncle has a bender but i think its for thinner types of metal, i might end up either clamping it between two pieces of steel on each side and bending by hand

That sign metal is usually pretty hard to bend, when you bend it you will want to bend it about 1/2 the bend or less then un clamp the metal and slide it out a little, like 1/2 the thickness of the metal clamp it again and bend some more, don't try to take the whole bend in one area it might break the metal, when you start you want it in the brake too far, you want it in past your bend line, your going to be pulling it back out, if you don't split the difference you will end up short on one end, laps and allowances...

When your bending you want to bounce the bending leaf don't just give it a steady pull up, bend it a little at a time.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:16 pm 

hoser wrote:
Tpreed wrote:
hoser wrote:

That sign metal is usually pretty hard to bend, when you bend it you will want to bend it about 1/2 the bend or less then un clamp the metal and slide it out a little, like 1/2 the thickness of the metal clamp it again and bend some more, don't try to take the whole bend in one area it might break the metal, when you start you want it in the brake too far, you want it in past your bend line, your going to be pulling it back out, if you don't split the difference you will end up short on one end, laps and allowances...

When your bending you want to bounce the bending leaf don't just give it a steady pull up, bend it a little at a time.

do you think it would be a good idea to hit it with a torch?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:19 pm 

Tpreed wrote:
hoser wrote:
Tpreed wrote:
hoser wrote:

do you think it would be a good idea to hit it with a torch?

Never tried heat on aluminum like that you might try it on a piece of scrap before trying it on the real thing.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:34 pm 

3003 is about the best aluminum grade for bending. 6061 and 7061 is the worst and will split. Heating will help aneal what you have and make it softer to bend.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:21 pm 

i might fine tune this one and use it for a template.. and copy it on to 3030

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:59 pm 

Bend it down over a length of suitable diameter tube/pipe.
The outside of material is under tension and the inner compression.
By using the pipe you spread the stress evenly,less tension and less compression.
Will remain stronger for longer and not provide a future split line...Baz

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:02 am 

I gota know what did the sign say and by chance you knock it down one late night. Wrongway,one way what?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:52 pm 

adnoh wrote:
I gota know what did the sign say and by chance you knock it down one late night. Wrongway,one way what?

weight limit 4 tons.. had it over my bed down at school HAHA!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:45 pm 

had to go with a thinner 23 gauge sheeting to be able to bend it. looks rough.. but its quick, dirty, and keeps the shit out

Attachments:
tub1.jpg
tub1.jpg [ 306.88 KiB | Viewed 710 times ]
tub2.jpg
tub2.jpg [ 269.6 KiB | Viewed 710 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:15 pm 

Now you can ride and TAN at the same time!!! LOL Good job!!!

Profile E-mail