Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 1:11 pm 

Because of running sustained 245 degrees, i was forced to pull the radiator from the side pod
and relocate it behind the airbox. This is not the best place, but the only space available :-(
After the relocation, i was still running 245 degrees, so i am working on a new roof/ducting
panel. You might see a clear one in the picture - a very rough tryout. It brought the temp
down to 210. I am not satisfied with this , so i am working on side air dams to help out. I am
not fond of the Drakart side panel looks, but might have to go bigger until i am below 200.
The stock Pilot shroud is the approximate size that i would like to see work ??

I am forced to rethink my axle situation, broke another weld at the June race.
Jan did a good job with his design >>> mated the two pieces together like a screwdriver
blade and tight fitting notch, then welded it tgether, and added a full length sleeve to strengthen it.
Upsman found a place closeby in Indiana that will respline axles :-) SOOOO i called today,
and will cut two new axles to size and send to them for new splines. Upsman was quoted
$60.00 per axle ,,,,,,,,, not bad for new axles :-) This will give me Rabbit axles with outer
CV splines on both ends ,,,,,,,,,, i also realized that the passenger - long side axles are
larger diameter tubing axles >>>> SOOOO i could just cut off one end and weld another
stub into the end >>> replicating a stock axle with only one weld ??? ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Here is a new picture of the outer CV with the stub axle cut off and the Bug inner CV cup
spline welded on to mate it to the Bug diff ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, tom

,,,,,,,,,, tom

Attachments:
Relocate Radiator1-m.jpg
Relocate Radiator1-m.jpg [ 168.08 KiB | Viewed 1248 times ]
Relocate Radiator3-m.JPG
Relocate Radiator3-m.JPG [ 166.42 KiB | Viewed 1248 times ]
New Beast CV-1m.JPG
New Beast CV-1m.JPG [ 209.76 KiB | Viewed 1248 times ]
New Beast CV-2m.JPG
New Beast CV-2m.JPG [ 148.07 KiB | Viewed 1248 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 4:10 pm 

How about adding another radiator in a series to give you more surface area,
add a banshee radiator or smaller where ever it will fit, if it proves to be too
big on cooler days you can always block part of one off with card board.

If you have the proper size fan installed I would think you could put the radiator
any place you want long as the fan was running it would find air to pull
through it removing the heat from the coolant.

Axles sound cheap enough perhaps you can post a name and address to the spline
guy others in the future might need the same done?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 4:31 pm 

Tom, You do know that the longer VW Rabbit half shaft is hollow right ? (at least the mid '70 to mid '80 ones where)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 4:55 pm 

Hollow is stronger because it will flex more?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 9:09 pm 

Hollow is lighter, same amout of metal but a greater diamiter and longer. So the tortional flex is simmilat to the other side ( short side) and the weight is not huge. Down side is cost. I guess they where trying to balance cost and performance.

Post subject: axles - Radiator
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 1:50 pm 

Hoser,
I will post the company info as soon as i get a confirmation, or finished product, this seems to be
a great deal if it all works out :-)
I do have a box of motocross radiators one for each side of the frame, each is about 6" wide x
14-16" tall (??) I had originally thought to mount 2 or 3 of these. It did not seem to be a good
working idea, so i gave up and bought a full size radiator. Using one of these in addition might
help. I will have to do some measuring/calculating.

Lee,
Yes they are hollow, and that is why i thought to cut the "bad" end off and weld in the proper
splined end to match ?? I have had 2 welds break >>>>> indication of my weld strength ??
So am thinking of the re-spline first ,,,,,, BUT just was informed that the standard Rabbit
axle we were using is only 17" long :-( we need one 18.5" after cutting off the bad spline.
Terry is looking to see if there are any years with longer short side axles ?? ,,,,,,,,,,,, tom

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 6:07 pm 

tom

do the rabbit axles have slines on both ends like a bug or bus axle? if so i think i have a set of axles that will work for you. and if i do not, i can put you in touch with some one who deals in great used vw parts. i beleive the axles i have are about 21 inches long, and constant diameter as you need. i think they are from a vanagon and will fit into both type 1 and type 2 cv's. i will look for them and see what the exact size is. let me know.

pete

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 9:25 pm 

Shifter I would add one of the radiators maybe you can pipe it paraell with one
shut off on cool days you can close the valve some to by pass that radiator.

Pete I got a better pipe installed tonight on my Pilot I will be testing tomorrow,
so far the jetting didnt seem to bad with the other pipe but I noticed this
pipe the head pipe and body of the pipe is about 40% bigger than I was running before.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 9:51 pm 

hoser

saw that you got a pipe. have been following posts. i would think that when you get the pipe done, it should not be that hard to jet. are you going for a torque or rev pipe? i am guessing the pipe you have is a rev pipe, as you said it came from a powervaleve Engine. how does it perform so far with your existing setup?

pete

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 10:47 pm 

Havent even fired the Engine yet I am letting the silicone dry until tomorrow then will
take it for a spin, no idea on the pipe all I know is it came off a 90's MXZ 440 the guy
I got it from had it on one of his engines on a dyno and it pulled 90 hp, he said it would
perform better than those twin tuned AAEN pipes I have guess he has tried them too,
right now I have to take what I can get for a pipe, I still have an eye out for a twin
carb setup just in case and for future testing, cant wait to see how this thing pulls
when I can rev it over 7100 RPM I think the other pipe was holding it back.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Axles
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 1:53 am 

Pete,
Thanks for the offer, but i think we should be able to find some in my friends collection.
I have 18.5" long axles now (the welded ones) My friend Terry owns a VW shop and is looking
through his collection now. They are Rabbit axles, i need the outer CV spline on both ends.
My plan is to get a pair of longer ones from Terry and have them cut down to 18.5" and then
send in for new splines. I can go look through his collection if i want to ?? Cost will be pennies,
if we can find some. Will post when i find something ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, tom

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 9:30 am 

You run your car long enough to see if the shocks are better, they still getting hit with
rocks?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Shocks and Rocks
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:41 pm 

Hoser,
The red boots are doing great, there is one small cut ?? possibly from bottoming at Stone City.
I have added oil, Fox said "add 10cc at a time until it does not bottom" ---- i added 20cc to
start with, but have not been able to go anywhere to test it yet. We had thought about an Illinois
saturday trip to KI tracks ?? before the trip to Silver Lake late October, but i am now behind in
getting the house ready for winter again :-( Jan is still not finished with his front shocks ---
when we both are ready we will decide on a saturday trip to test shocks before Silver Lake.
We might only have a couple of days notice before trying to find a place to go. I do not like
the idea of working on shocks at Silver Lake, but if we are not ready before then ?? then we
will have to work with those conditions. Removing the valve cores and adding a little oil should
not be a big problem ,,,,,, UNLESS it is blowing sand ??
The last 2 years have been less than spectacular with the house project, auto failures, and my
dad's drawn out illness. I will make a late October trip to Silver Lake, have to have at least 1
trip this year >>>>>>>>>> unless something else strange blindsides me :-)
I have not had the "new Beast" in the sand yet, and will do all i can to get there ,,,,,,,,,, tom

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 4:33 pm 

Test for bottoming at home, get enough people to stand on the back you might
need one to jump up and down a little to make sure it is at the end of the stroke,
I use this to fill mine through the valve core, jack up the buggy so it is off the
ground, release pressure, remove valve core, add oil add core, add nitrogen
and go, the one in the picture is 10cc you can get 60cc at farm & fleet in
the live stock area the hose is snowmobile primer hose and cycle shop by
you should have some, when your done remove the rubber plunger and
clean it good wash with carb cleaner the shock oil will make it swell up over
night making it use less.

Attachments:
Mvc-607f.jpg
Mvc-607f.jpg [ 17.99 KiB | Viewed 1088 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Oil syringe
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 5:04 pm 

You can cut yourself a nice leather o-ring for the plunger and not have to worry about the swelling.

Learned this cleaning and lubricating firearms.

Post subject: Oil filler
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 12:37 pm 

Hoser,
I found the ones at Farm and fleet when i started doing the shocks :-) They do work great !!
BUT,,,,,,,,,,,,, i did not realize about the o-rings :-( they do come in 3 packs and i will make
sure to clean them after using them ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, thanks, tom

Profile E-mail