Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 12:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 184 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:13 am 

I went to a parts house and found a twin blade switch with a 10mm fine thread, then went to home depot and found plumbing brass to fit, then ran it inline in a rad hose

nitrosport_5 wrote:
I got alot done today. Mounted the banshee radiator, mounted the water pump, mounted the fuel tank and started tearing it down so next week it can get sandblasted and then powder coated. I have a couple questions for you guys about a thermo fan switch. I plan on using a fan on this, but i don't want to have it on all of the time. I want it to come on whenever the Engine needs to be cooled down. What parts do i need to do the thermo fan switch? I know there was something inline that could be used but i cant seem to find the right one.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:37 am 

If you don't know at what temperature you are going to run at you can simply install an adjustable fan switch. The one pictured below is from summit racing for 45 plus shipping. Here is the link for the page showing additional switches.

http://www.summitracing.com/search/?key ... itch&dds=1" ."..

Rand

Attachments:
thermo fan switch.jpg
thermo fan switch.jpg [ 20.74 KiB | Viewed 463 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:49 am 

Here is a picture of Stix9567's temp sensor. Nice clean and simple.

Rand

Attachments:
radiator fittings.jpg
radiator fittings.jpg [ 242.95 KiB | Viewed 1600 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:17 pm 

Thanks guys, i ordered the fan, thermostat switch, air filters, and picked up a shifter and brake cables here since mine were frozen up. Frame is being blasted today, and hopefully tomarrow i can get it to my buddy that is going to powdercoat it free. I think he said case ih red was what he had to do it, so it wont be honda red but it will be good enough for a custom resto. I am so excited to get this thing back from powdercoat. It is going to look amazing IMO. i also cant wait for the warm weather to ride! I am going to order a set of aluminum wheels for it also, the stock rear wheels of mine look like they were rode their entire life loose so the bolt holes are egged out.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:03 pm 

I have run into another issue. Whats the best way of removing a stubborn driven clutch? it looks like someone has tried to remove it before. one of the bolt holes is broken where a puller goes down in there and then it looks like someone tac welded somthing to the face part of the clutch so the whole thing is bent. I also need to know how to get the clutch taken apart. i have a second driven that i need to replace the sliders on but i cannot get it apart. I got the spring to unlatch but that is as far as i got.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:15 pm 

nitrosport_5 wrote:
I have run into another issue. Whats the best way of removing a stubborn driven clutch? it looks like someone has tried to remove it before. one of the bolt holes is broken where a puller goes down in there and then it looks like someone tac welded somthing to the face part of the clutch so the whole thing is bent. I also need to know how to get the clutch taken apart. i have a second driven that i need to replace the sliders on but i cannot get it apart. I got the spring to unlatch but that is as far as i got.

Can you post some pics?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:46 pm 

I will on friday, i am at school for the week again this is just somthing that i remembered i needed to figure out.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:12 pm 

Here is the picture. You can see where it looks like someone welded somthing on to try and pull the clutch off, and then the bolt hole that is broke off and the others don't look to be in good shape. The yellow liquid is some PB blaster i sprayed on the shaft to let it soak to hopefully make it a little easier when i get the thing off.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:28 pm 

Well, i ordered a set of wheels and tires today. I also got the driven unit off. Now i jut gotta get some emry cloth and clean up the shaft before i slide the other clutch on. buddy picked up frame for powdercoat today. i hope he has it done by friday. Id LOVE to get the thing into a rolling chassis this weekend!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:13 am 

just got word that the frame is done being powder coated so i will pick it up tomorrow. said there was a little bit of black that got into the red from something else that batch. Not sure what exactly that means but it was free so i cant complain too much. My mom also told me that Mr. UPS brought some wheels and tires for me from Rocky Mountain http://rockymountainatv.com. Didn't expect that they would already mount the wheels for me, but it makes since. This weekend i possibly will get the suspension on and get it to a roller status . Where do you guys usually start in a rebuild? Definitely glad i only have a quiz tomorrow and am done with class so i can make my way back home!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:59 am 

Got my frame. there are a few spots where it didnt turn out too good but i cant argue with the price. I also got my tires and wheels and boy do they look good. i cannot wait to see what this thing looks like complete.

Has anyone here used the chucklenuts at aftershot motorspurts fenders? i am just curious if they are worth the money? i really would like a set of fenders for this. Or does anyone know where to find a set of honda fenders for a price that isnt going to make me go completely broke.

Here are some pictures of the frame and the wheels. The frame i think is a little bit darker than stock but it will do.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:51 am 

Made a ton of progress this weekend. Its starting to look more and more like an odyssey. my front wheels didnt show up. I should have just went ahead and spent the $30 extra and got them from Rocky Mountain http://rockymountainatv.com but oh well. Got my wire harness in, hooked up, and functioning. trans an Engine is installed, brake lines installed, front suspension in (minus the J arm bolts because one was missing and another was rounded off). all and all im happy with this machine, i really like the look of the white suspension and red chassis. Not too big of a fan of the gold that was stock. What do you guys think of it so far? much more to come next weekend.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:14 am 

that's lookin good, Image !!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:21 am 

The white and red looks good.
Early pics showed right side of frame cut you replaced tubing how did you get Engine to fit inside?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:23 am 

I personally am not the one that fit the Engine down in there. When i purchased it on ebay it had the Engine mounts welded in and the Engine ready to drop down into it. The stock mounts were removed and some new mounts welded into the front and the rear trans/Engine mount was added to. The frame where you see that the bars were replaced were where the guy before me moved the bars out a little ways to clear the case on that side. it is a tight fit, but it does fit in there. The factory recoil starter and water pump will not fit. Luckily there is an electric start and i am going to be using a water pump from a Mercedes.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:35 am 

nitrosport_5 wrote:
I personally am not the one that fit the Engine down in there. When i purchased it on ebay it had the Engine mounts welded in and the Engine ready to drop down into it. The stock mounts were removed and some new mounts welded into the front and the rear trans/Engine mount was added to. The frame where you see that the bars were replaced were where the guy before me moved the bars out a little ways to clear the case on that side. it is a tight fit, but it does fit in there. The factory recoil starter and water pump will not fit. Luckily there is an electric start and i am going to be using a water pump from a Mercedes.

After seeing the problems TurboTexas is having with his Triple E Engine mounts I suggest you look yours over really good.

Cant wait to see this project completed and running, looking good.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:45 am 

Thanks. Before i had the frame sand blasted i had a guy that welds for a living go over the welds for me. they are pretty beefy mounts so as far as i can tell they will be alright, it uses the stock yamaha bushings(?) and it is mounted in 4 places. I think that if any part were to fail it would be the rear Engine/trans mount but it still seems to be fairly good. When its done ill take it out and run the snot out of it and fix what breaks!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:28 pm 

This is where my addiction to odysseys takes over. I usually am on the hunt for odyssey parts each day when i sit down at the computer, and usually quickly browse the newly listed and ending soonest on ebay. Just picked up this and im fairly sure for the price i stole it. Only cost me $30 for standard shipping as well!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HONDA-OD ... ccessories

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:18 pm 

nitrosport_5 wrote:
This is where my addiction to odysseys takes over. I usually am on the hunt for odyssey parts each day when i sit down at the computer, and usually quickly browse the newly listed and ending soonest on ebay. Just picked up this and im fairly sure for the price i stole it. Only cost me $30 for standard shipping as well!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HONDA-OD ... ccessories" ."..

Nice score hopefully their is nothing wrong with it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:06 pm 

Holly Crap! Mega score if it's in good shape!

Rand

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:17 pm 

from what he says there it is in good shape. he also had quite a few other parts listed including rear arms and axles but i see they are no longer there. im guessing they were cheap as well. I am really hoping that all is good. i paid 350 for my last trans and it looked in worse shape and didnt even include the shifter.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:07 am 

Got a little more done this weekend, next weekend i probably wont get any more progress on it because my pickup needs new front brakes, new power steering lines and new front shocks. man am i going broke and fast! haha. I figure everybody likes pictures, so here are a few for you guys to feast on. This thing is looking better and better every day! I need to get it finished before the 20th. Local radio station is having a contest for bikes and ATV's. First prize is $300 to a local motorcycle shop! Figure its worth a shot because it is a cool looking machine and i have put alot of hard work into this thing. I ran into an issue with my master cyl i believe. When trying to bleed the brakes it wont pump up and get pressure on the handle. And when i open the valve to bleed the brakes it barely pushes any fluid out. I know the lines are clear and i took the pistons out of the master cyl and all of the seals and whatnot looks to be in good shape. There was some varnish in there from years of brake fluid but i cleared that out and it still is acting the same way. Any suggestions on what to do?

Here are my pictures. It makes me so happy to finally see this thing sitting on all 4s. I cannot believe that this was a bare frame not to long ago. When you put as much time and effort into a machine like this, you have a new respect for taking care of it. And on the bright side since i have had everything apart, i will know how to fix just about anything on it myself. I want to thank everybody that has given me pointers along the way, or sold me parts. Im not quite finished but i can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:57 am 

I ran into an issue with my master cyl i believe. When trying to bleed the brakes it wont pump up and get pressure on the handle. And when i open the valve to bleed the brakes it barely pushes any fluid out. I know the lines are clear and i took the pistons out of the master cyl and all of the seals and whatnot looks to be in good shape. There was some varnish in there from years of brake fluid but i cleared that out and it still is acting the same way. Any suggestions on what to do?

I ran into the exact same issue with my brakes and it was a pain in the ass to get the air out of the system.

I found I had air trapped in the system which wouldn't allow for any pressure to be built up in the master cylinder, thus no resistance in the brake lever. I completely rebuilt the master cylinder and disassembled the front and rear systems so essentially my system was full of air except for the lines themselves. I tried everything I could think of including using a mighty vac to draw fluid through the entire system and nothing, same as you.

Disgusted and pissed off I happened to be looking over the master cylinder rez and noticed the little air bubbles trapped in it. By just trial and error I discovered that if you squeeze the lever very slowly in short 1/2 inch strokes and let it snap back quickly, the bubbles in the master cylinder will come up through the small rez feed hole. This eventually started building pressure on the lever. After that I could pump and bleed the brakes as normal.

Rand

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:27 am 

on the fronts you have to adjust the shoes out so that the wheel will not move, then you bleed... then you back off the adjusters...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:42 am 

Turbotexas wrote:
on the fronts you have to adjust the shoes out so that the wheel will not move, then you bleed... then you back off the adjusters...

Back when I had my problem, Hoser suggested that I try that trick and that didn't work either! It took me three days to figure out how to get the master cylinder primed.

Rand

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 184 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next