Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 184 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:44 pm 

Nitro

Running the throttle in this machine, how hard is the thumb throttle to press. I was getting a feel for my 3 to 1 cable, it seems a but tough. I was wondering if you had a top on running the throttle, but I'm also interested to see how you think this and the seadoo carb set up works out

Thanks
Bdover

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:51 pm 

Nitro

Running the throttle in this machine, how hard is the thumb throttle to press. I was getting a feel for my 3 to 1 cable, it seems a but tough. I was wondering if you had a top on running the throttle, but I'm also interested to see how you think this and the seadoo carb set up works out

Thanks
Bdover

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:24 am 

DaveM wrote:
Awesomeness!!!!!

cue the " I wanna ride" commercials.

Thanks! Definitely fun. worth every second i have put into it. This weather is making me antsy to get out and ride! haha

bdover9876 wrote:
Nitro

Thanks
Bdover

THe thumb throttle is a bit stiff vs the stock odyssey/pilot cable but its doable. ive been on day long rides (with stops every hour) and its not too bad at all. Also as you can see from the videos, i have no problem hitting WOT (Wide Open Throttle) :-) .

The seadoo carb setup is going to be perfect. The throttle pull will probably be about the same or easier than stock.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:34 pm 

Looks like a great place to ride... that Engine makes some power... it sounds like the wheels just want to spin...
Nice videos

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:56 pm 

go oddy wrote:
Looks like a great place to ride... that Engine makes some power... it sounds like the wheels just want to spin...
Nice videos

Thanks, its pretty good place. That is my mothers boyfriends place. Nice to live out of town having fields to run around in, and that nobody gives a crap that i was riding on the gravel road.

I couldnt be happier with the Engine, makes good power and is super reliable. THe wheels do nothing but spin haha. Although it was worse that day since it was so muddy and slightly frosty so the field was almost like ice, that's why i was able to do donuts so easily. I tink alot of the spinning too is the tires, im only running 22" tires so its essentially a lower gear ratio. next time i think i will go with 24"

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:12 pm 

I also have 22 inch spider tracs on my 580 and just like you said nothing but wheel spin...
I also need to figure out if the Odyssey or Pliot primary clutch will mount to the 580 to better match the driven on the Pilot

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:24 pm 

your using a banshee rad on there?? what about for a pump mercedes? if so how did the rad hoses fit. i have a gold wing rad and the mercedes pump and the outlets on the are huge, 1" or something like that. also interesting in how you got your temp gauge hooked up

runs great. wait till the ground isn't frozen anymore and then those tire will hook up

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:55 pm 

go oddy wrote:
I also have 22 inch spider tracs on my 580 and just like you said nothing but wheel spin...
I also need to figure out if the Odyssey or Pliot primary clutch will mount to the 580 to better match the driven on the Pilot

I believe they make a 102c clutch that fits the rotax engines. So i could be wrong, but couldnt you buy a 102c for a rotax and set it up exhactly like you would a pilot or odyssey? I guess it probably is not that easy haha.

fully wrote:
your using a banshee rad on there?? what about for a pump mercedes? if so how did the rad hoses fit. i have a gold wing rad and the mercedes pump and the outlets on the are huge, 1" or something like that. also interesting in how you got your temp gauge hooked up

runs great. wait till the ground isn't frozen anymore and then those tire will hook up

Yes i am using a banshee radiator and a mercedes pump. The rad hoses on the pump and radiator were the same. I want to say 19mm.. and i think that is 3/4 in. The Engine on the other hand uses 1" outlets. I streched some of the 3/4 hose onto the Engine. It was a super PITA and it seems to be holding. If i ever start to get a leak i will figure out somthing different. Im sure you could find an aluminum piece that would step you down from the 1" hoses to a smaller one.

With the temp gauge, i liked the more traditional gauge look vs a digital readout. The gauge i am using is an Auto Meter gauge with an electric sending unit. I did not want to get a manual one and have to screw around with a capilary tube running all the way to the gauge. To get the temp sender installed i used one of these inline adapters http://www.ebay.com/itm/WATER-TEMP-TEMP ... 23199473fa" .".. I am actually using 2 of them. one for the fan sensor and one for the gauge sensor.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:09 am 

so that inline water temp is 26mm did you have any trouble get the hoses to fit on it. would you not be able to get away with just one, and splice into instead of using another one.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:25 am 

fully wrote:
so that inline water temp is 26mm did you have any trouble get the hoses to fit on it. would you not be able to get away with just one, and splice into instead of using another one.

I don't think that is the exact one that i used, i just was showing what they looked like. I used one that was 1". still it was way to big and i had to really work to get the hoses on. Now sure if you could T into it or not. I guess you should be able to drill another hold on the other side. I think that you want the sensor down in the stream of water slightly so i don't know if splicing would work. I wish i could have found a smaller one but i could only find the smallest of 26mm.

I found this. http://www.magnaracing.com/index.php?ma ... jrueqksce6 it is the right size hose, but i don't know the thread that the digitron uses.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:40 am 

i think splicing would work as they are both electric, just use one sensor and have it go to the temp gauge and the thermal switch

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:28 am 

fully wrote:
i think splicing would work as they are both electric, just use one sensor and have it go to the temp gauge and the thermal switch

OO you meant electrical. I thought you meant put a T in and use 2 sensors in one of those aluminum inline deals. 1 sensor would not run both the fan and gauge in my case. The fan switch is a simple On/Off switch. when temp reaches 170* (i forget what it was exactly) the circuit opens and triggers the relay to run the fan. The guage uses a sender to determine the temp.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:50 pm 

Yeah that's what I meant. So I won't work that way. So if I were to do this I would need two of them as well.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:18 pm 

Went to the dunes this weekend. It was a little over a 2hr trip. Got there and it was all well right about till we got to the better part of the dunes and then i started to overheat. Sure enough my water pump was dieing. so that shortened my trip. oh well, at least i had the temp gauge and didnt melt down my cylinder. Id rather the humiliation of being towed in than being and idiot and melting down the Engine!

That being said, in my opinion anyone running a liquid cooled sled Engine in any buggy MUST and i mean MUST run a temp gauge. That should be one of the first things you do. My temp gauge has saved my a$$ 2x now. First was the very first day i took it out, pump had an air pocket in it and wasn't pumping water, second time was yesterday. If it wasn't for the gauge i would be rebuilding my Engine right now! the $60ish price tag for a good gauge is very small compared to the risk you run of overheating! That is just my .02!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:33 pm 

Indeed! I prefer too much tylemmetry over too little, especially on a new or new-to-me rig. And warning alarms.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:54 pm 

That's one of the things I like about the Vapor. You can set it for warning lights for overheating.

Rand

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:21 pm 

I had a question as far as the throttle pull goes. Would it be safe to cut a coil or two off of the return springs inside the carb barrel? After and entire day of riding it is all i can do to keep pressing the throttle with my thumb LOL. The cable was a brand new cable so that is not the issue, i think the thing that is the issue is pulling 2 carbs open instead of 1. I don't want to modify if it will be unsafe but they seem to return quick right now.

Also, here is a short vid of me jumping it a few weeks ago. Nothing too special but i had never jumped it before. the works shocks are AWESOME. best suspention upgrade while still keeping the stock j-arms

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:15 am 

First take a piece of metal and bolt it to your current thumb throttle as a extension it will give you more leverage you be amazed how much adding as little as 1/2" leverage to the throttle would give you.

I have seen cutting the coils done before long as your aware of the risk involved and it sounds like you do.

I love my PWC carb I had to install a spring pulling against the thumb throttle the throttle pressure was so light :-)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:05 am 

Well, i got my disk brakes and new front bumper installed. I have to say i am absolutely loving the front disk brakes. It stops so much nicer now, although for some reason the rears don't seem to be working whatsoever. Fairly certain my master cylinder needs rebuilt. the right side (beleive its the rear brake side) is starting to weep at the site glass. Hope it holds out until this winter when i can tear it apart and rebuild,or at least hope it holds out until i get the pilot done. don't want to have to tear apart my runner!

I also really like the bumper. If notjust for the way it looks but since it has the skidplate it should help keep anything from breaking apart my foot tub.

Attachments:
2012-04-22_13-55-50_467.jpg
2012-04-22_13-55-50_467.jpg [ 58.72 KiB | Viewed 3238 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:40 pm 

I don't recall any disc brake conversion being mentioned previously.

Did I miss this?

Can you please post some detailed pics & what you purchased & modified to change these over?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:13 pm 

don't really have pictures of the kit, but it is the one that emmanuel-farrugia was selling on ebay. http://www.ebay.com/sch/emmanuel-farrug ... 4340.l2562" ."..

It uses TRX450 Disks and Calipers. It is more or less a bolt on, you just have to trim your knuckle slightly. I don't see the kits on ebay any longer, so i don't know if he is still producing them or not.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 5:15 pm 

Im thinking i need to adjust my clutching. I feel like it is upshifting too fast. It runs great a low to mid throttle, but its not reving out how i would like. My plugs look great, not running pig rich and not running super lean. Its at a really good happy medium. Im wondering if maybe the driven clutch spring is worn out? or the dirt/sand in the drive clutch has wore it out? Could the belt wear enough to change the way the clutches act?

If i want it to not shift up as fast, do i change the driven clutch spring to a stiffer one? or should i change drive clutch parts?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 5:20 pm 

mozzy wrote:
I don't recall any disc brake conversion being mentioned previously.

Did I miss this?

Can you please post some detailed pics & what you purchased & modified to change these over?

the same guy has a web page. its new and still getting stuff added, but he has stuff for sale here also.

http://www.farr-offroad.com/

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:07 pm 

Well guys, she left the stable this morning headed for California! I had a good time with this machine but it was time to part ways. My pilots take most of my time and didn't get a chance to ride this one much anymore. So she is gone but not forgotten!

Attachments:
IMG_20150124_211439360.jpg
IMG_20150124_211439360.jpg [ 58.27 KiB | Viewed 2847 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:54 pm 

So who bought it?

Did it go to a board member?

Rand

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 184 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next