Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 3:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:23 am 

hello everybody,
my name is tal, im from israel and im new on this forum.
i have a 1989 honda pilot. i started a transplant project of a honda 600cc 2 cylinders injected 4 stroke Engine.
im having trouble finding a primary clutch with a spline instead taper, im attaching the spline blueprint.
i sent e mial to supreme tool ics,they make race clutches but they didnt respond yet.if you have other options let me know.
i fabricate a front long travel suspention,the parts are from a gasgas 450 race atv,it works and looks very good.
now i want to fabricate the rear long travel suspention,im interested in the fox nitrogen,i mean the long ones and i know i will have to make new upper mounts.i don't know the size of those fox or who is selling them, so help me with some information.
thank you for your info

my pilot pics

Attachments:
File comment: spline blueprint
טל קורן- ציור פיצה.PDF [87.15 KiB]
Downloaded 115 times
File comment: front long travel project
תצלום0024.jpg
תצלום0024.jpg [ 656.1 KiB | Viewed 2237 times ]
File comment: my pilot
תצלום0036.jpg
תצלום0036.jpg [ 1.05 MiB | Viewed 2237 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:17 am 

WOW What did you use on the plastics to get them to look so new???
Looking at the old ones in the a-arm picture they look real bad!
Welcome to the site!
www.downsouthmotorsports.com did my rear shocks for me and did a great job! Ask for Sonny and tell him I sent you!
Of course you will need to get an axle and other parts before you figure our what size to get...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:11 pm 

these are new ones,bought them recently from cycles r us,ohio.ask for jon,

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:20 pm 

ok... Someone here is putting a bike motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) on a 350 ody, and didn't use the cvt, since it has gears... went chain drive straight to tranny???

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:51 pm 

no,i am using cvt,this Engine has no gear that's why im looking for primary clutch with spline conction insted of taper

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:57 pm 

tal motomania wrote:
no,i am using cvt,this Engine has no gear that's why im looking for primary clutch with spline conction insted of taper

Whats the Engine out of ?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:02 pm 

hi hoser,i read alot of your stuff,it seems like you are the guy that know it all about pilots. appreciate your help.
the Engine is from 2008 honda silverwing 600cc.it has a 50hp at 7500rpm twin cylinder fuel injected.
its very reliable Engine.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:09 pm 

tal motomania wrote:
hi hoser,i read alot of your stuff,it seems like you are the guy that know it all about pilots. appreciate your help.
the Engine is from 2008 honda silverwing 600cc.it has a 50hp at 7500rpm twin cylinder fuel injected.
its very reliable Engine.

Any pictures of the factory CVT and or a downloadable service manual?

Max operating RPM of this Engine is?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:24 pm 

Interesting.
http://scootertrap.com/Silverwingbeltandpinchange.pdf

Can you not use the stock clutch?

I'd like to see a picture of the motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )).

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:49 pm 

Nice compact motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )). Too bad their aren't too many scooters around here.

http://www.bikeweb.com/image/tid/19

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:42 am 

A few years back the SAE Clean Snowmobile team at my school used the Honda Silverwing Engine in their sled. Basically, the stock clutch kind of sucks and is not tuneable at all. There are no other splined primary clutches; I'm not sure why Honda chose that splined shaft for this Engine. So, they had an adapter made that fit on the Engine's splined shaft, and had the standard sled/ATV taper on the outside so they could mount any clutch to it. This seemed to work well. They even turbocharged the Engine and were able to get upwards of 100hp out of it, while staying reliable, quiet, and fuel efficient.

I found a picture of the snowmobile. I don't have any detailed info on the adapter, but just picture a short shaft with a female spline on the inside and a taper on the outside.

Attachments:
File comment: UB SAE Clean Snowmobile
05sled.jpg
05sled.jpg [ 359.79 KiB | Viewed 2169 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:32 pm 

i am attaching some picturesso you cant get what i mean,i cant use any big scooter primery clutch. it works different,the belt is always turning even at idle, the clutch is mounted on rear side,all scooters work this way and they all have splines.
i found that the rear pilot hub has the same spline like on the silverwing crankshaft,so i need to mill a polaris taper on the out side of the hub and then use the supreme tool, razar two stage primery clutch.
any information about those fox nitrogen long travel shokx,length,diameter?
im making new mounts for the Engine and at the same time i want to make new upper mounts for the longer shokx
but i don't have them and worse i don't know what to order.
nice sled project.and i thought i was the first to use this Engine.

Attachments:
תצלום0037.jpg
תצלום0037.jpg [ 706.21 KiB | Viewed 2145 times ]
תצלום0038.jpg
תצלום0038.jpg [ 687.77 KiB | Viewed 2145 times ]
תצלום0039.jpg
תצלום0039.jpg [ 619.47 KiB | Viewed 2145 times ]
תצלום0040.jpg
תצלום0040.jpg [ 748.68 KiB | Viewed 2145 times ]
תצלום0041.jpg
תצלום0041.jpg [ 751.8 KiB | Viewed 2145 times ]
תצלום0042.jpg
תצלום0042.jpg [ 600.65 KiB | Viewed 2145 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:45 pm 

I'll be very interested to see how this motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) performs for you. I like it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:40 am 

im interested too,but i have alot of work on it!
got no info on those fox rear suspention,help.....

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:03 am 

tal motomania wrote:
im interested too,but i have alot of work on it!
got no info on those fox rear suspention,help.....

you will need to build the rear end componants first... I think the Long travel axles are 2" longer (see marv at 4x4tuff) then your top piece needs to be custom made, and the three links on the lower part need to be longer also... THEN You can see how much you will need on the shock...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:25 pm 

hi turbotexas,i don't understand,fox make them any size and any travel that i want?or they have specific sizes? i know that i need to fabricate all the parts and make them longer,this is not aproblem.
but i think they have the size for this long travel configuration .
all the rear fox nitrogen that i saw of long travel pilots looks the same,tell me if im wrong.
thanks.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:33 pm 

I am thinking they only make certian sizes This is why there is the need to make the upper bracket...
Most that do the long travel are getting 12" of travel, but that depends on how you route the shock... AND make the upper arm...

tal motomania wrote:
hi turbotexas,i don't understand,fox make them any size and any travel that i want?or they have specific sizes? i know that i need to fabricate all the parts and make them longer,this is not aproblem.
but i think they have the size for this long travel configuration .
all the rear fox nitrogen that i saw of long travel pilots looks the same,tell me if im wrong.
thanks.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:11 am 

tal motomania wrote:

Fox makes the shocks in certain sizes. You have to choose which size works best for your configuration. On the Pilot the stock rear shock motion ratio is close to 1:1, so the rear shock travel is very close to the overall wheel travel. Kits like the ATVR one keep similar geometry. I think the long travel people are using either 10" or 12" stroke shocks for that type of configuration. Of course, you could mount the shock differently in which case a different length shock may work better. Here is a list of all the sizes of shocks Fox makes. http://www.foxracingshox.com/downloads/ ... 09_web.pdf I would recommend either the 2.0 Series Non Coil-Over Air Shocks (1.25" shaft) if you want smaller size and lighter weight, or the 2.0 Series Coil-Over shocks (.625" shaft) if you want coil springs.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:31 pm 

thanks,that is the page that i was looking for!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:59 pm 

updates?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:03 am 

Im using the fox airs on the rear of my lt pilot. The most suspension travel you can get in the rear is 12 inches. Im using the 12 inch stroke shocks and they work great.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:25 am 

Whats up .....All? Things have been kind of crazy between work and my rebuild of the pilot. I finally got it up and running after lengthening the frame in order to mount the new larger motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )). I took it for a long trip and it performed better than I expected. It now has unbelievable bottom end power thus resulting in a top speed of 125kmh.
In the up and coming future, I will be making a video wich will be posted up on You Tube. In addition, I will send a link as well as pictures of the build. Thank you all so very much for the help!!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:57 pm 

Cant wait to see those pics! So how did you solve the clutch issue? Sounds like you have a really fast machine on your hands! Have fun with it and be safe

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:00 am 

Any updates? I want to see out this thing turned out.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:15 pm 

i took an polaris rzr clutch and i miiled a splined bushing and weld it into the clutch.so far it works great!!! im using a 2010 polaris belt
its 31 mm width,its the closest to the pilot belt(32 mm),im using the pilot secondery clutch and it works good with this combination.
i will send pics' and video as soon as i can.

Profile E-mail