Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 11:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Oddy Build
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:04 pm 

osborneready wrote:
Also one more question for you gurus. Has anyone put Pilot fenders on an Odyssey? There is a guy local here that is selling some Pilot fenders for cheap.

Yes it has been done but I believe I have heard the term used to describe the practice was "Blasphemy!" Someone on here has posted a picture of it done but I can't seem to find it.

Purchase them and resell if they are cheap or pass the deal to a pilot owner!

IMO Ody's look FUGLY with pilot plastic on them!

Rand

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:07 pm 

Randman wrote:
osborneready wrote:
Also one more question for you gurus. Has anyone put Pilot fenders on an Odyssey? There is a guy local here that is selling some Pilot fenders for cheap.

Yes it has been done but I believe I have heard the term used to describe the practice was "Blasphemy!" Someone on here has posted a picture of it done but I can't seem to find it.

Purchase them and resell if they are cheap or pass the deal to a pilot owner!

IMO Ody's look FUGLY with pilot plastic on them!

Rand

yeah I figured it would look weird. For anyone interested in them.. http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad ... arch=fl400

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:18 pm 

can't do pics as its at my parents farm in storage until spring..but it is mounted in the factory location. the seat comes with brackets from there, it is mounted to a piece of 3/16 flat steel cut in square the size of the seat bottom, then there is two pieces of 1" square tubing that extends out to the factory mounts on the oddy

that's a smoking deal on pilot plastic.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:04 am 

Here are some photos of the parts I do have. tonight I put the wiring harness in the frame.

As you might be able to see in the photo, the clutch was welded to the crank. The bottom end does spin freely and I believe is ok. I just wish I could get the clutch pulled off so I could split the cases and get the metal from the piston all cleaned out. And then possibly use it as a back up bottom end for the future.

Attachments:
ody-parts1.png [444.95 KiB]
Downloaded 126 times
ody-parts2.png [360.73 KiB]
Downloaded 126 times
ody-parts3.png [352.53 KiB]
Downloaded 126 times
ody-parts4.png [381.25 KiB]
Downloaded 126 times
ody-parts5.png [404.62 KiB]
Downloaded 126 times
ody-parts6.png [466.46 KiB]
Downloaded 126 times
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:17 am 

they probably welded a washer to the clutch because the bolt came loose and wore out the cover (i would hope) im not familiar with that clutch so someone else can chime in. if they did weld it to the crank you can grind the welds off be careful and take your time.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:09 am 

afastcar wrote:
they probably welded a washer to the clutch because the bolt came loose and wore out the cover (i would hope) im not familiar with that clutch so someone else can chime in. if they did weld it to the crank you can grind the welds off be careful and take your time.

I was thinking the same thing its not welded to the crank shaft you should still be able to pull the clutch off the Engine, looks like it just spun the cover and they welded it to the end of the shaft so they could keep using it.

Detail pics of a 94C here viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5777&view=next

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:01 pm 

I see, yeah I dropped it off with my dad last night, he has some big pullers at work and said he should be able to get it off.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:12 pm 

osborneready wrote:
I see, yeah I dropped it off with my dad last night, he has some big pullers at work and said he should be able to get it off.

Unless your dad has pullers for snowmobile clutches he don't have the puller required to remove that clutch trying to pull that clutch by grabbing it around the outside edge will just turn it into junk and will not successfully remove it from your crank you might as well get a axe and start chopping.

Someone here can probably tell you the bolt size and push pin length required to make a puller and remove it from the Engine.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:56 pm 

hoser wrote:
osborneready wrote:

Unless your dad has pullers for snowmobile clutches he don't have the puller required to remove that clutch trying to pull that clutch by grabbing it around the outside edge will just turn it into junk and will not successfully remove it from your crank you might as well get a axe and start chopping.

Someone here can probably tell you the bolt size and push pin length required to make a puller and remove it from the Engine.

Yeah he has some sled pullers, he said he was positive he would have something that would work. I bought a motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) off of a member on here today, leeg740. So hopefully that will just need a top end job and I can get running.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:25 pm 

osborneready wrote:
hoser wrote:
osborneready wrote:

Yeah he has some sled pullers, he said he was positive he would have something that would work. I bought a motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) off of a member on here today, leeg740. So hopefully that will just need a top end job and I can get running.

Cool let us know how you make out we all like a project, great to have spare parts for these aging machines..

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:44 pm 

Well he got it pulled off for me, said it was pretty rusted and a big pain to get it pulled off, but he said the crank and clutch are both fine. So now its time to clean it all up and find a top end for it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:17 pm 

So in anticipation on receiving the motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) I bought off a member on here, I have been ripping apart the bottom end I currently have and originally bought with the Odyssey. I pulled the cases apart and this is what I found, the crank and rod pin welded together. I was going to buy a rebuild kit for this crank and a new rod. Do you think if I grind of the weld and smooth it down the crank will be ok?

Attachments:
IMAG0116.jpg
IMAG0116.jpg [ 1.18 MiB | Viewed 472 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:27 pm 

osborneready wrote:
So in anticipation on receiving the motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) I bought off a member on here, I have been ripping apart the bottom end I currently have and originally bought with the Odyssey. I pulled the cases apart and this is what I found, the crank and rod pin welded together. I was going to buy a rebuild kit for this crank and a new rod. Do you think if I grind of the weld and smooth it down the crank will be ok?

Yes you can carefully grind out the weld, when doing so you want to go at it with the proper tools and with a controlled motion, you don't want to do any base metal reduction on the crank shaft itself you only want to remove the weld you can also remove all the material on the crank pin you want that will not be reused.

In the process of grinding if you happen to remove material from the crank that's ok the idea of not removing material from the crank is mainly to maintain the balance of the crank, once rebuilt it can be welded again and any material accidentally removed from the crank can be built back up with weld if their is a weight loss concern.

You have someone to do the rebuild for you, I know speedchaser has done a few viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7185

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:04 pm 

My new Engine is sitting on my doorstep, can't wait to get home and check her out. Going to probably tear her apart this weekend and make sure all it needs is a top end job. Pretty stoked to get my Odyssey up and running very soon.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:33 pm 

osborneready wrote:
My new Engine is sitting on my doorstep, can't wait to get home and check her out. Going to probably tear her apart this weekend and make sure all it needs is a top end job. Pretty stoked to get my Odyssey up and running very soon.

I strongly advise you take apart the top end of any newly acquired 2 stroked Engine to inspect its condition, the gasket kit will be the best money you ever spent.

On these 2 stroke engines the pistons have ring location pins on them meaning if you remove the piston and rings from the Engine you can reinstall them with no harm, if the rings are within tolerance and don't need replaced you can reinstall them on the piston and reinstall the cylinder and don't even need to hone the cylinder because the rings will be back exactly where they were before you removed the cylinder for inspection, you do however need to reinstall the rings back in the groove they came from exactly so its really important you mark the rings as you remove each one, top ring top groove bottom ring bottom groove you also have to reinstall them with the side that was facing the top of the piston facing up you don't want to flip one over.

If you replaced the rings then you would need to hone the cylinder to prepare it for the new rings.

Seen many 350s come apart that were rebuilt with the wrong piston to cylinder clearances, with the pistons installed backwards, no lube holes drilled in the piston, catching problems like this soon enough will save you hundreds of dollars and a ton of frustration in the future.

My findings are the majority of the exhaust manifolds on the 350 does not come close to matching the cylinder and their is always a huge build up of carbon on this choke point, removing the cylinder will allow you to correct this problem and gain some power and longer Engine life at the same time.

Hope that Engine is a winner cant wait to see your CSI :-)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:03 pm 

Thanks for all the info, the seller advised me it would most likely need a top end job. Is there any piston that you might recommend for the top end?

Profile E-mail