Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 1:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:25 am 

ok, i will be the first to admit that i may have bitten off more than i could chew when i started this project. i didnt have alot of experience to start with, used to race mini motos (pocket bikes) so have some knowledge of tuning 2strokes but that's about it; i don't have an engineering, automotive or electrical background.

my main problem isnt that theres alot to do, i don't mind that (i bought it as a project) its the fact that living here in Qatar makes everything 10x harder. the parts arent available here nor the expertise, even if i got the thing working what would i do the first time it needed a rebuild?

i even thought of changing out the Engine and gearbox for a 450cc-500cc quad bike, wouldn't even mind if it meant i had to get rid of the belt drive and reverse gear; but the only way i can think of doing it is to have a new drive shaft made along with the bearign carriers etc...which i wouldn't know the first place to look here.

even if i bought things in the states it still takes 4-6weeks for delivery...

so all you FL350R owners keep your eyes open because i cant get some momentum back into this project i'll be parting it and selling it...shame

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:37 am 

What all needs done before you can ride and enjoy the 350?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:45 am 

Details Brother.....Details! :-)

Rand

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:56 pm 

i'll list whats wrong, front to back:

steering partially seized, (working on this, lots of oil and working it)
brake master cylinder missing, (planning to use a single piston BMC to power the rear brake)
wrist straps missing,
hand brake missing, (i know theres some way of making the rear brake work without the handbrake)
seat beat missing,
air scoops missing,
wiring loom missing, (has now been rewired)
CDI (Capacitor Discharge Ignition) missing, (second had one now fitted)
air box missing,
airbox-carb boot missing,
fuel pump might need a rebuild, (don't have a rebuild kit)
don't have any gasket sets.

theres alot of surface rust due to the climate here. ive just rewired the whole buggy, and had a CDI (Capacitor Discharge Ignition) shipped over from the states but when i try to start the Engine i get no spark at the spark plug!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:10 pm 

Is the Engine grounded well to the frame?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:58 am 

yep, spent 2 days checking and then double checking all the connections, not just the earths

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:56 am 

HOUSTON, we have ignition!

i have now found that the stock fuel pump i have doesnt work, im guessing it needs a rebuild (which isnt going to be possible). my plan is A) take an electric fuel pump from one of the many quad bikes here in Qatar. if i do this should i be looking for something specific? B) gravity feed the carb. ive noticed a few posts on here saying you shouldn't gravity feed the stock carb, any reason why not?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:02 am 

Marcusa32 wrote:
HOUSTON, we have ignition!

i have now found that the stock fuel pump i have doesnt work, im guessing it needs a rebuild (which isnt going to be possible). my plan is A) take an electric fuel pump from one of the many quad bikes here in Qatar. if i do this should i be looking for something specific? B) gravity feed the carb. ive noticed a few posts on here saying you shouldn't gravity feed the stock carb, any reason why not?

About the only thing I can think of that can make the pump stop working would be its not getting the pulse from the crank case or the diaphragm inside the pump is ruptured you can carefully take it apart and look, match mark the outside by scribing a line across all the parts, take it apart see if it has a hole or cut in the diaphragm.

Pay attention to the parts orientation they have to go back in exactly the way they came apart, its a multiple chamber design and their are check valves, its pretty cool setup if you study it close.

Electric pump can create problems if its putting out too much pressure it will cause flooding problems, even with the bypass setup it might over pressurize.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:18 am 

why wouldn't it be recieving the pulse from the crankcase?

i can get a low pressure (1.5psi-4psi) in-line fuel pump, would that still be too much?

why cant you gravity feed the stock carbs?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:06 am 

Hoser, did you get your pm about CDI (Capacitor Discharge Ignition) wiring?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:37 am 

Marcusa32 wrote:
why wouldn't it be recieving the pulse from the crankcase?

i can get a low pressure (1.5psi-4psi) in-line fuel pump, would that still be too much?

why cant you gravity feed the stock carbs?

that's what you need to investigate, the line is kinked, plugged, not hooked up, leaking you tell us why your not getting the pulse to the fuel pump :-) you have to verify its their.

You can gravity feed these carbs you just need to buy and install the correct needle and seat designed for the gravity feed application right now it should have the correct needle and seat for the fuel pump, that is long as someone has not molested your carb you would have to remove the needle and seat and verify what you actually have I forget the numbers for gravity and the numbers for pressure feed.

You can used a fuel pump that produces 15k psi if you want its just trying to make it work right for your application that is going to be the problem, I would avoid the electrical fuel pump idea at just about all cost you might spend days trying to make it work right then soon as you think its right something could happen where you end up seizing your Engine because you fuel delivery was not right under ALL CONDITIONS, its a huge gamble trying to re engineer your engineered fuel system, I remember reading articles written by professional racers back in the FL250 days guys trying to use other fuel pumps on their race Odysseys spending a whole season trying to dial it in where it would work, all that just to use a cheaper than Honda fuel pump.

My BEST advice is figure out what is wrong with your current pumps delivery then lets go from their FORGET about trying to skillbilly on some other fuel pump until you have reached the last resort phase then we can discuss that in detail hopefully you can avoid a bunch of headaches.

It will take you 15 minutes to pull disconnect the pulse line from the fuel pump then hold your finger over the end whilst someone cranks the Engine and you feel to see if its working?

If if the pulse is good it would take you 10 minutes to remove the fuel pump then 15 min to take it apart to see whats wrong inside?

If the Odyssey was here I could have it diagnosed faster than it took me to type this all out I bet you have spent more time thinking about how to install a electric pump than it would to fix your current pump :shock:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:25 pm 

possibly...however, looking at the pump it doesnt look like its been touched since the ody was built which makes the possibility of the diaphram being degraded the highest reason why its not working...which means i'll need to buy a rebuild kit which will then take 4-6 weeks for delivery

...pain in the arse

i will investigate the pulse and fuel pump internals this evening

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:42 pm 

Marcusa32 wrote:
possibly...however, looking at the pump it doesnt look like its been touched since the ody was built which makes the possibility of the diaphram being degraded the highest reason why its not working...which means i'll need to buy a rebuild kit which will then take 4-6 weeks for delivery

...pain in the arse

i will investigate the pulse and fuel pump internals this evening

Take it apart and see if the diaphragm is degraded try making your own out of similar material you also might take it to a local shop that works on machines that has the same type pump, boats personal water crafts, look for one in a junk yard, put the used diaphragm in yours.

You try searching for a kit for yours ?
http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/product_c ... Id=p172937

Keihin Triangular Fuel Pump Repair Kit these are sold and used world wide?

Basic info on your type pump http://wiki.bssd.org/index.php/Diaphragm_Fuel_Pumps

Before I wasted any more time thinking about the pump kit or replacement I would verify the function of the pulse line, if ok take the pump apart heck you might not even need a kit you might just need to clean out the varnish from bad gas.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:14 am 

ok, pump was removed, disassembled and cleaned last night. looked in pretty good condition, a bit of sediment had built up in some areas.

also checked the pulse and its fine.

reattached he fuel pump last night but havent tried it (due to having no exhaust and 2 small boys in their beds).

is there a way of priming these systems (should i fill the carb bowl or something)?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:31 am 

Marcusa32 wrote:
ok, pump was removed, disassembled and cleaned last night. looked in pretty good condition, a bit of sediment had built up in some areas.

also checked the pulse and its fine.

reattached he fuel pump last night but havent tried it (due to having no exhaust and 2 small boys in their beds).

is there a way of priming these systems (should i fill the carb bowl or something)?

Yeah you can prime the carb by pouring gas into the gas line going to the carb.

Profile E-mail