Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 235 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:22 pm 

Hey rarerat,
how much money would you say you spent on materials for this build,NOT counting odyssey parts,and how many hrs labor would you estimate NOT counting the tearing down and putting back together of ody,or the painting,just strictly the hrs spent cutting it and welding frame back together to where it was ready for the paint.
Going to have my local weld shop look at this thread and try and give me an est on doing this for me

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:48 pm 

redskinman wrote:
Hey rarerat,
how much money would you say you spent on materials for this build,NOT counting odyssey parts,and how many hrs labor would you estimate NOT counting the tearing down and putting back together of ody,or the painting,just strictly the hrs spent cutting it and welding frame back together to where it was ready for the paint.
Going to have my local weld shop look at this thread and try and give me an est on doing this for me

I will have to think about that. I didn't really keep track, & my business has been very slow this year so I had plenty of free time to tinker with it. I do feel pretty confident I could build another in less time now that I have done it once. Good luck with your build..

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:31 pm 

The kids are out of school today for the Easter holiday so we took the two Odys out for a couple of hours this morning here close to the house. This was the first time i have had it out since the Rio Puerco, still haven't installed the fan or put tires on it. I did bang the front bar that protects the tie rods again on some rocks. I need to get the front end up a little higher, other than that it handled & ran great. We stopped on a dirt road and lined up to race, Sarah's Ody flat left us sitting still off the line but once we got rolling we stayed about the same distance. I would guess top end is about the same, her's just gets there a whole lot quicker. :shock:

Attachments:
0406121016_0001.jpg
0406121016_0001.jpg [ 39.11 KiB | Viewed 1872 times ]
0406121017_0001.jpg
0406121017_0001.jpg [ 73.57 KiB | Viewed 1872 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:57 pm 

rarerat wrote:
redskinman wrote:
Hey rarerat,

I am guessing around 300 bucks for parts as for the hours, I will have to think about that. I didn't really keep track, & my business has been very slow this year so I had plenty of free time to tinker with it. I do feel pretty confident I could build another in less time now that I have done it once. Good luck with your build..

I doubt if I can afford to do it,Im surprised that it was 300 just for the parts for the weld :shock:
He doesnt know how many hrs it would take so its hard for him to nail down a figure

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:25 pm 

redskinman wrote:
rarerat wrote:
redskinman wrote:
Hey rarerat,

I will have to think about that. I didn't really keep track, & my business has been very slow this year so I had plenty of free time to tinker with it. I do feel pretty confident I could build another in less time now that I have done it once. Good luck with your build..

I bought 60' of tubing in total, brake lines, brake pads, master cylinder kit, Wheel spacers that I never used, Roll plastic, paint etc... I already had the extra seat left over from my daughter's Ody build but paid 75.00 for the seat for hers, either way I would have had to come up with an extra seat. I had the 1/8 plate I used for the seat & shifter mounts left over from a 56 Ford F100 I built a couple of years ago, but if I had to buy it there would have been some additional cost there. I already had the extra seat belts, but you would need to factor those in also as well as the extra roll bar top plate and roll bar net.

Don't get discouraged, in fact you are fairly close take a long weekend and bring your Ody & come ride with Steve & I and out in the Rio Puerco. I will bring this one & you can try it to see if you would like to move forward with your build.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:44 pm 

rarerat wrote:
redskinman wrote:
rarerat wrote:
redskinman wrote:
Hey rarerat,

I am guessing around 300 bucks for parts as for the hours, I will have to think about that. I didn't really keep track, & my business has been very slow this year so I had plenty of free time to tinker with it. I do feel pretty confident I could build another in less time now that I have done it once. Good luck with your build..

I doubt if I can afford to do it,Im surprised that it was 300 just for the parts for the weld :shock:
He doesnt know how many hrs it would take so its hard for him to nail down a figure

It wasn't 300 just for the tubing, I must have miss understood your question. I spent around 300.00 or so on everything I needed when I did the conversion. I bought 60' of tubing in total, brake lines, brake pads, master cylinder kit, Wheel spacers that I never used, Roll plastic, paint etc... I already had the extra seat left over from my daughter's Ody build but paid 75.00 for the seat for hers, either way I would have had to come up with an extra seat. I had the 1/8 plate I used for the seat & shifter mounts left over from a 56 Ford F100 I built a couple of years ago, but if I had to buy it there would have been some additional cost there. I already had the extra seat belts, but you would need to factor those in also as well as the extra roll bar top plate and roll bar net.

Don't get discouraged, in fact you are fairly close take a long weekend and bring your Ody & come ride with Steve & I and out in the Rio Puerco. I will bring this one & you can try it to see if you would like to move forward with your build.

Fairly close?,lol
that's a 15 hr drive with no stopping,that's a vacation trip not a weekend trip :-)
Yeah I wanted to know just in materials for the welding and hours spent on the welding,as to getb an idea for the shop time and price.I would be doing all the ody dismantling and putting back together

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:59 pm 

I snuck out last Sunday afternoon for a quick ride here close to the house and it only took me about 20 minutes to slide the @ss end into a rock or?? and destroy the right rear piece of crap ITP wheel. It looks like it will get a set of stock rear wheels on it moving forward. I did order a new set of 24x11x10 Kenda Bear Klaws, but now I am debating on sticking them on my Pilot and installing my used mud lites on the side by side, they still have about 3/4 of the tread left so they should work great on here.

I had a little free time this afternoon so I figured I better get the fan mounted before I burn it up. This is the fan I had mounted on the donor Ody facing down on the head but since I stretched this frame, there is a bunch more room to work with. I just used some 1/4 inch round bar and bent up this goofy looking mounting bracket. It looks a little dorky but it aims the air flow right where it's needed the most & it's easy to install & remove with just a few hose clamps if & when ever the Engine has to come out. There is plenty of room for a larger fan if need be but since I already had this one, I will use it until the time comes I need something else. Still need to get it wired, but I'll try & get that done here in the next couple of days.

Attachments:
100_0067.JPG
100_0067.JPG [ 60.65 KiB | Viewed 1789 times ]
100_0068.JPG
100_0068.JPG [ 51.92 KiB | Viewed 1789 times ]
100_0069.JPG
100_0069.JPG [ 39.05 KiB | Viewed 1789 times ]
100_0070.JPG
100_0070.JPG [ 48.34 KiB | Viewed 1789 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:15 pm 

Steve was kind enough to give me this set of 25x12x10 Bear Claws the other day, Thank you again Steve. I yanked the Mud Lites back off and got them back on my Pilot, & now I'm anxious too give these bigger Bear Claws a try on the side by side. These are a even taller than the Mud Lites so the extra ground clearance is nice but if they kill the bottom end too bad, I'll pull them back off and install those new 24" Bear Claws I had just tried on the Pilot. On thing about it, these big old nasty looking things look pretty cool on the back of the side by side, I really hope I have enough power too turn them. :-)

Attachments:
File comment: 25x12.5x10 Bear Claws
100_0082.JPG
100_0082.JPG [ 60.85 KiB | Viewed 1754 times ]
File comment: 24x11x10 Bear Claws already picked up a d@mn nail the first ride with these tires. ARRRGG!!
100_0080.JPG
100_0080.JPG [ 43.59 KiB | Viewed 1754 times ]

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 11:09 pm 

After an outing with the family, the additional height of the 25x12.5x11 bear claws made the bottom end a bit lazy so I swapped them out to the smaller 24x11x10's. These don't measure a true 24"s tall so they should really wake up the bottom end. My wife has really taken a liking to the Side by Side and claims it is her favorite of our buggies. The added cooling fan really seemed to help keep the Engine temps down, didnt really notice any power fade from heat soak this time out. :-)

::-: ::-:

Attachments:
100_0116.JPG
100_0116.JPG [ 64.91 KiB | Viewed 1712 times ]

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 1:49 pm 

hoser wrote:
rarerat wrote:
After an outing with the family, the additional height of the 25x12.5x11 bear claws made the bottom end a bit lazy so I swapped them out to the smaller 24x11x10's. These don't measure a true 24"s tall so they should really wake up the bottom end. My wife has really taken a liking to the Side by Side and claims it is her favorite of our buggies. The added cooling fan really seemed to help keep the Engine temps down, didnt really notice any power fade from heat soak this time out. :-)

Fan pictures please.

They were posted on April 17th.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 2:52 pm 

rarerat wrote:
hoser wrote:
rarerat wrote:

Fan pictures please.

Thanks, I missed it haha,deleted my last post to make this for a shorter read.

What is the fan off of?

Please add a fan to the other 350, document everything maybe even sell a kit IMO everybody that owns a 350 should be adding the fan cant be that expensive of a mod but pays huge dividends..

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 2:58 pm 

hoser wrote:
rarerat wrote:
hoser wrote:
rarerat wrote:

Fan pictures please.

What is the fan off of?

Please add a fan to the other 350, document everything maybe even sell a kit IMO everybody that owns a 350 should be adding the fan cant be that expensive of a mod but pays huge dividends..

Hoser I added the fan to my first 350 and had a nice write up before some asshole hacked the site. The problem is when it is installed behind the seat of a stock vehicle, you have to move the seat all the way up and leaves minimal leg room.

Rand

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 3:21 pm 

Randman wrote:
hoser wrote:
rarerat wrote:
hoser wrote:
rarerat wrote:

Fan pictures please.

What is the fan off of?

Hoser I added the fan to my first 350 and had a nice write up before some asshole hacked the site. The problem is when it is installed behind the seat of a stock vehicle, you have to move the seat all the way up and leaves minimal leg room.

Rand

You still have your pics of the install?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 3:35 pm 

I'll have to check the computer at the house to see if I still have the pictures.

As it is right now mine has a water cooled head but I have a fan mounted on the wife's Ody. It is above the Engine and it blows right down on the top of the head and not the cylinder.

I have 2 more bilge fans and I was thinking about trying to use them to get air blowing on the cylinder itself. I might have to see if I can come up with something in the near future.

Rand

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 5:28 pm 

hoser wrote:
rarerat wrote:
hoser wrote:
rarerat wrote:

Fan pictures please.

What is the fan off of?

The fan is just a universal Spal I bought on feebay after buying my first 350 Ody. I can't remember exactly but I want too say it was around 50 bucks. It does move a lot of air for it's size, and I originally had it mounted facing down at the head on the donor 350. As Rand mentioned, to place it where I have it on the side by side you need to move the seat forward and for us 6' guys that is just not an option.

I need to get one on my daughter's Ody also and will post some pictures when I can get to it. Here are a few pics of the fan when I first mounted on the donor 350 Ody..

Attachments:
HPIM3814.jpg
HPIM3814.jpg [ 67.31 KiB | Viewed 1663 times ]
HPIM3813.jpg
HPIM3813.jpg [ 73.36 KiB | Viewed 1663 times ]
HPIM3815.jpg
HPIM3815.jpg [ 66.3 KiB | Viewed 1663 times ]

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 8:38 pm 

You sell that Pilot rarerat yet?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 10:07 pm 

Mudbogger wrote:

This one?

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem ... 3906665007

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 10:35 pm 

Mudbogger wrote:

Not yet sir, I tried to pass it along turn key with no luck so unfortunately it is being sold as a roller. IMHO it is a nice Pilot, but not near as clean as my other Pilot and right now I cant afford to keep them both.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 12:20 am 

what is your price for a board member????????

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 11:47 am 

Who did the suspension on the LT pilot? The rear arms don't have that gusset and the upper shock mounts are different than the ATVRacin ones. Kinda looks cool yellow. Awe shit, I sounds like Turbotexas now!

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 7:53 pm 

Congrats on the sale of the Pilot.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 8:46 pm 

afastcar wrote:
Congrats on the sale of the Pilot.

Thanks, I hope to hear from the buyer soon..

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 1:21 am 

If you never hear from him my buddy really wants it

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 9:03 am 

halorising wrote:
If you never hear from him my buddy really wants it

Thanks, I will let you know how it plays out.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 3:45 pm 

The family & I snuck out for a ride this morning before the wind picked up again and got these pics and short video of my wife and youngest daughter riding the side by side. It was a great day. :-)

Attachments:
100_0193.JPG
100_0193.JPG [ 47.22 KiB | Viewed 1473 times ]
100_0194.JPG
100_0194.JPG [ 82.27 KiB | Viewed 1473 times ]
100_0197.JPG
100_0197.JPG [ 73.25 KiB | Viewed 1473 times ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 235 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next