Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 235 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:06 pm 

Here is what I made for grab bar. Just some 1" OD tubing with a a pair of Scott motorcycle grips on it. It's pretty simple, but comfortable. I angled it up a bit so it would still be easy to get in & out.

Attachments:
0321121512.jpg
0321121512.jpg [ 49.4 KiB | Viewed 3445 times ]
0321121511.jpg
0321121511.jpg [ 57.36 KiB | Viewed 3445 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:36 am 

Do you have a job?lol
Im amazed at how much youve accomplished in so little time

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:17 am 

Dual controls would have been badass...LOL

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:12 am 

KTM265 wrote:
Dual controls would have been badass...LOL

one person controls the right tire, one the left. one the throttle, and one the brake. lol that would be fun to see.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:52 am 

That would definately test your teamwork abilitys! But seriously the whole thing turned out great. If you ever decide to sell that you let me know. With all of that extra room you could probably stuff a vmax4 snowmobile Engine in it. That could spell disaster for the tranny but it'd be a torque monster.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:39 pm 

Fatcat wrote:
But seriously the whole thing turned out great. If you ever decide to sell that you let me know. With all of that extra room you could probably stuff a vmax4 snowmobile Engine in it. That could spell disaster for the tranny but it'd be a torque monster.

Will do,
Thank you for the kind words.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:04 am 

Hey Rat,please don't forget to add dual wrist restraints.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:07 am 

bugeye59 wrote:
Hey Rat,please don't forget to add dual wrist restraints.

Good catch Baz, I have one set already, I just need to come up with another. Thanks for the reminder.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:54 pm 

Update..

Ok guys, today I took the family out to the Rio Puerco for some real world testing with the Side by Side. This is where I primarily ride so I wanted to get a good feel for how it would really do on some tougher terrain.

First the good..

A) The wide front end handled great was never a problem through the tight turns on some of the narrow trails.
B) Power was good, even with 2 people in the buggy
C) braking seemed good, didn't have any problems shutting it down after a hard blast
D) The "Cool Factor" was way up, the place was packed when we got there and lots of people were interested in what it was.
E) Bang for the Buck couldn't be beat, in other words, I don't think I could replace it with a store bought anything that would give so much for so little.

Ok now for the bad..

A) IT NEEDS TIRES BAD!!
B) I need to get a cooling fan on it. It was 80* today and when on the throttle through the deep sand the Engine was getting hot.
C) IT NEEDS TIRES BAD!!
D) Stock Ody shocks still suck
E) IT NEEDS TIRES BAD!!
F I did hit the front frame bar on some rocks, so it would be nice to raise the front end a bit too gain a little more ground clearance.
G) Did I mention it really needs tires? The bald @ss rear tires and the deep sand don't mix. I spent a lot of time backing down hills as my wife and oldest daughter blasted right up them. The pilot and the my daughters Ody both have ITP Mudlites and they work really well in the sand. I think it's time for a new set on the side by side.

All in all a great day of riding. The whole family had a good time and all three machines ran great. I had planned to get some video & some pics, but managed to leave the camera in the truck until we were loaded up and ready to come home.

Attachments:
loaded.jpg
loaded.jpg [ 56.35 KiB | Viewed 3335 times ]
loaded1.jpg
loaded1.jpg [ 53.72 KiB | Viewed 3335 times ]
loaded2.jpg
loaded2.jpg [ 51.27 KiB | Viewed 3335 times ]
loaded3.jpg
loaded3.jpg [ 47.43 KiB | Viewed 3335 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:22 am 

Cummins??

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:08 am 

Maybe you need new rear tires. Have you ever given it any thought? LOL :-)

Rand

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:31 am 

Did u do any side by side racing. To see how much slower it is than one of your other oddys. Curious how much if any slower it is with the extra weight

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:14 am 

Still pretty good results!

Hey, can I trade you some desert for some farm field?? Ha

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:03 am 

jmbruen,
Yes

Randman,
Great Idea, I think you are right!! :-)

fully,
Not really, we mostly just trail rode.

DMoneyAllstar,
Thank you.
Yes we are very blessed to have this place to ride so close to home. It doesn't look like much from where you park but once you drop down into the canyon it is flat awesome. :-)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:35 pm 

You know whats going to make this thing perfect 4 new shocks designed and setup for this machines weight.

If it was mine I would bite that expensive bullet and buy 4 new WORKS shocks and work close with them to get the spring rate and valving right the first time, give them accurate curb weight and then loaded weight.

I think the running hot thing will be easily controlled by the fan or fans or fan/blower blowing air over the Engine at the right spots, no doubt your going to feel the power fade on a 90+ day when pushed hard, typical of all air cooled engines.

You drove it so probably know what shocks need replaced the most, I would assume the front shocks would be the worse out of the two since the rear factory shocks were setup way too stiff from the factory they might even feel pretty good with the extra weight added?

Again great work cant wait to see this thing in action.

I missed this picture first time around too funny!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:17 pm 

Great project, enjoyed reading it and what is better...you took a machine, modified it to your needs and it worked...great to see.

BTW...looking at your pictures, have you thought about getting some new tires? :-)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:03 pm 

Thank you Hoser. I would love to add 4 new Works shocks to it , but they are just not in my budget at the moment. You are exactly right, right now the front is worse than the rear. Those would most likely be the first I will buy when I have the extra cash.

The cooling fan is defiantly a Must do before the next riding trip with it. I kind of knew I needed it, but was hoping the space between the seats would aid in the cooling, it didn't!! :-) I still have the fan I ran on the other Ody, I just need to build the mounting for it.

On another note, Steve & I took the Pilots out there today and before we started riding a guy flipped what looked like a brand new RZR 900 4 seater about 75 yards from where we were parked. They had 4 people in it and the guy on the right rear must have grabbed the cage because it looked like he broke his hand. The passenger side of the cage was caved in pretty far and no one was wearing helmets. :shock: They were very lucky it wasn't worse but I'm sure the one guy ended up in the hospital. seeing that really make you appreciate how well these old Hondas are built. -:: ::-:

KTM265,

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:22 am 

rarerat wrote:
Thank you Hoser. I would love to add 4 new Works shocks to it , but they are just not in my budget at the moment. You are exactly right, right now the front is worse than the rear. Those would most likely be the first I will buy when I have the extra cash.

The cooling fan is defiantly a Must do before the next riding trip with it. I kind of knew I needed it, but was hoping the space between the seats would aid in the cooling, it didn't!! :-) I still have the fan I ran on the other Ody, I just need to build the mounting for it.

On another note, Steve & I took the Pilots out there today and before we started riding a guy flipped what looked like a brand new RZR 900 4 seater about 75 yards from where we were parked. They had 4 people in it and the guy on the right rear must have grabbed the cage because it looked like he broke his hand. The passenger side of the cage was caved in pretty far and no one was wearing helmets. :shock: They were very lucky it wasn't worse but I'm sure the one guy ended up in the hospital. seeing that really make you appreciate how well these old Hondas are built. -:: ::-:

KTM265,

Yup you should see the guys on the RZR site defend Polaris every time someone post pics of a flatten cage, never seen such a group of clueless people in my life, the excuses they make for Polaris is unbelievable every once and a while I tell them how I have flipped and rolled my Pilot so many times I lost count and it never bent the cage, brings out a whole new batch of excuses for Polaris, the cage on the Polaris is almost worthless.

Thanks HONDA for engineering and building us such a quality machine! Shame on Polaris for being unable to build a cage that cant even stand a slight roll over.

I take it the rest of your trip was good and everything ran well? Been watching your weather and wanting to return so I can map out that whole area you guy ride with my GPS :-)

I have never thought about it or even looked but is their room on the front to add another pair of shocks on the 350, one on each side? Just guessing but you added about enough weight (material and passenger) to equal the spring rate of a FL250? Maybe adding a set of 250 shocks along side the 350 shocks on the front would help until new shocks are in the budget, or add another set of cheap used ATV shocks?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:48 am 

In regards to Honda engineering and such...the tubing on the FL350 and FL400 is STOUT, to say the least. The right material, heavy gage, and right geometry make these things nice and safe. The FL250 cage tube thinner compared to its bigger brothers.

Combined with a helmet and proper use of the 4-pt harness and wrist ties...unless you do something REALLY stupid, these machines will protect you. =)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:23 pm 

hoser wrote:
rarerat wrote:

KTM265,

Yup you should see the guys on the RZR site defend Polaris every time someone post pics of a flatten cage, never seen such a group of clueless people in my life, the excuses they make for Polaris is unbelievable every once and a while I tell them how I have flipped and rolled my Pilot so many times I lost count and it never bent the cage, brings out a whole new batch of excuses for Polaris, the cage on the Polaris is almost worthless.

Thanks HONDA for engineering and building us such a quality machine! Shame on Polaris for being unable to build a cage that cant even stand a slight roll over.

I take it the rest of your trip was good and everything ran well? Been watching your weather and wanting to return so I can map out that whole area you guy ride with my GPS :-)

I have never thought about it or even looked but is their room on the front to add another pair of shocks on the 350, one on each side? Just guessing but you added about enough weight (material and passenger) to equal the spring rate of a FL250? Maybe adding a set of 250 shocks along side the 350 shocks on the front would help until new shocks are in the budget, or add another set of cheap used ATV shocks?

that's not a bad idea on doubling up on the front shocks, I never thought about that. I almost wish I could put some longer shocks on the front to raise the front end up a bit but I don't think the J arms will swing down much further. I don't know if you remember when we rode and took the trail that went left into the canyon that had 2 paths right at the top where there was a kind of a rock ledge we droped off of? Anyhow when my daughter & I were in the two seater and went off that I hit the bar that protects the tie rods when the front wheels dropped off the ledge. I think a set of taller front tires will help but another 1or2 inches of suspension hight plus the taller tires would really be nice, but I guess that was really the only place I hit anything.

Aside from the wind yesterday it was a great day. Towards the end of the day, we saw one of those new Arctic cat side by sides. That thing was really sharp looking but when we came up behind him, he just pulled over & let us blast by. I kind of wish we would have stopped it was really sharp looking & I would have liked to get a closer look at it. At the end of the day we ran up some of those long sand hills where you really couldn't lift off the throttle and noticed my egt temps were getting ugly, not as high as they were when we rode but up there. I am hoping it is just time for another new battery again, although I think a leak down is in order & would be cheep insurance.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:24 pm 

DMoneyAllstar wrote:
In regards to Honda engineering and such...the tubing on the FL350 and FL400 is STOUT, to say the least. The right material, heavy gage, and right geometry make these things nice and safe. The FL250 cage tube thinner compared to its bigger brothers.

Combined with a helmet and proper use of the 4-pt harness and wrist ties...unless you do something REALLY stupid, these machines will protect you. =)

I agree, anything is possible but if you do your part and wear /use the safety gear these things are extremely safe.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:50 pm 

You have a spare set of J arms?
Take a look at the ball joints I thought they could be modified for more travel by carefully grinding the area where they bind up, I never done this before but remember talk about it many years ago, some of the old timer race guys probably remember what was done.

Give WORKS tech line a call I forget the details but I know one of the Pilots or Odysseys they can install longer shocks on the stock suspension and get slightly more travel talking to them might give you a hint what you can do, also a good time to pick their brain about spring rates for your increased weight.

Maybe speedchaser has thoughts on the front suspension? viewtopic.php?p=37420

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:26 pm 

If its just ground clearance you need up front, why not look for a taller set of tires?

Or do you need tires? LOL

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:27 pm 

hoser wrote:
You have a spare set of J arms?
Take a look at the ball joints I thought they could be modified for more travel by carefully grinding the area where they bind up, I never done this before but remember talk about it many years ago, some of the old timer race guys probably remember what was done.

Give WORKS tech line a call I forget the details but I know one of the Pilots or Odysseys they can install longer shocks on the stock suspension and get slightly more travel talking to them might give you a hint what you can do, also a good time to pick their brain about spring rates for your increased weight.

Maybe speedchaser has thoughts on the front suspension? viewtopic.php?p=37420" ."..

Thanks I do and extra set for the right side, so maybe I can experiment with them a bit. I will give works a call in the near future and get there take on it, I am sure they could come up with something. I hadn't even thought about asking Speedchaser for his thoughts, good call.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:28 pm 

nickRNR wrote:
If its just ground clearance you need up front, why not look for a taller set of tires?

Or do you need tires? LOL

Well now that you mention it... they are looking a bit thin. :-) :-)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 235 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next