Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 235 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:13 am 

Tpreed wrote:
cruiser.

LOL.. that was great!! :-)

Thank you all for the kind words guys, it should be drivable very soon. I will give a full report on how it handles & try too get some video of it when the family goes out to ride. Anyone that heads out this way, is more than welcome to drive it.

I was told I should call it the FL350 II. :-)
::-:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:52 pm 

Does the FL stand for Front Lounge? :-)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:27 pm 

Update...

It's Alive!! :-) My oldest daughter & I took the side by side out on it's shake down run this afternoon. I am very happy to report this little project has far exceed my expectations. It handles amazing, turning is no issue at all, it turns as tight or tighter than a stock Ody and with one blip of the throttle and you can spin the ass end around in a blink of an eye. The power is great I am guessing between me and my daughter we were pushing 380 lbs and it pulled like we wern't even in it. So far the braking seems good, but I did just go thru all the brakes so I am sure that helped. :-) The extra weight really helped tone down the pogo stick effect of the rear end with the stock shocks. I am still grinning this turned out so well. All the negative things I read about the one wearing Pilot plastics, I somehow seem to have avoided with my build. This thing is freaking awesome & I can't wait to take the wife out for a ride. I still have a few things to do, like build the oh $hit bar etc.. but I was so excited after the first run I just had to let you all know how it went. lol...

Attachments:
2seat22.jpg
2seat22.jpg [ 66.8 KiB | Viewed 3484 times ]
File comment: I bit the bullet and cut my good foot tub down the center and then just added some roll plastic too fill in the middle
2seat23.jpg
2seat23.jpg [ 57.05 KiB | Viewed 3484 times ]
2seat24.jpg
2seat24.jpg [ 74.71 KiB | Viewed 3484 times ]
2seat25.jpg
2seat25.jpg [ 52.92 KiB | Viewed 3484 times ]
2seat26.jpg
2seat26.jpg [ 61.16 KiB | Viewed 3484 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:29 pm 

Here are a few more pics, I will try and get some video in the next week or so..

Attachments:
2seat27.jpg
2seat27.jpg [ 63.46 KiB | Viewed 3484 times ]
2seat28.jpg
2seat28.jpg [ 55.48 KiB | Viewed 3484 times ]
2seat29.jpg
2seat29.jpg [ 65.83 KiB | Viewed 3484 times ]
2seat30.jpg
2seat30.jpg [ 65.96 KiB | Viewed 3484 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:33 pm 

That looks really cool. You did a really good and fast job on that. Congrats!! :-)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:45 pm 

That is so cool!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:49 pm 

I agree! That is so innovative and out of the normal! Love it!!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:05 pm 

Thanks guys, now I want to build a side by side Pilot. :-)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:41 pm 

You should send a picture to Honda. Would be a great replacement for their farm wagon SxS. Looks very nice.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:38 pm 

Excellent job man! I am so jealous and so is my daughter! She wants me to build one,lol,but I don't have your skill or tools :shock: :-)
Cant wait for the video :-) Also to get this project done in less then 2 months is awesome,usually these things take forever and then they end without being finished

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:00 pm 

Awesome job!

I wonder if the donut-ability is because its as wide as it is long?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:22 pm 

Thank you all for the kind words.

The family & I snuck back out after dinner for another short ride and brought the camera. The sand was pretty deep and the tires are pretty bald but still tons of fun. :-) We were just in the arroyo here close to house but I wanted to get a quick video . ::-:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:09 pm 

Excellent Job Sir!

Send that Video to Honda!

You might want to adjust the rear upper link in a little to get rid of the positive camber and I bet it will handle ever better yet!

Once again I am impressed at the speed and ease that you did this!

Rand

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:27 pm 

Thank you for the kind words Rand.
I agree after seeing the video, the camber is pretty bad. :shock:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:42 am 

Nice work, for sure! I'm impressed at the handling of the double-wide. Kudos!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:02 am 

Maybe I will post these "2013 Honda side by side spy photos" on one of the side by side sites on April 1st :-)

I assume you will be adding a electric fan to blow air on the Engine soon to compensate for the extra load on the Engine, Engine running hot was one of the big problems with the FL350 many has added a fan to their in the past seems to be a great mod.

What do you think about the suspension and handling front looked soft.

Attachments:
2 seat honda1.jpg
2 seat honda1.jpg [ 35.45 KiB | Viewed 3426 times ]
2 seat honda.jpg
2 seat honda.jpg [ 36 KiB | Viewed 3426 times ]
2 seat honda2.jpg
2 seat honda2.jpg [ 22.75 KiB | Viewed 3426 times ]
2 seat honda3.jpg
2 seat honda3.jpg [ 24.68 KiB | Viewed 3426 times ]
2 seat honda4.jpg
2 seat honda4.jpg [ 26.06 KiB | Viewed 3426 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:57 am 

Thanks guys.

Hoser,

Neat "Spy" pictures. :-) The handling is much better than I ever thought it would be, the suspension as a whole is softer now. The little I have ridden it you can throw it into a corner and it doesn't feel unstable in the slightest. I was shocked, you can let go of the wheel & it goes straight down the road. :-) I haven't even adjusted the tie rods, they are still adjusted from the other frame. I just cut the right tie rod in half and added the additional length, kind of eye balled it, and welded it back together.

I would like to find a set of Works for the front, but I was thinking of maybe trying to mount a set of those Fox airs on the rear. I'm guessing I could probably make a mounting hoop for the top mount like a Long Travel Pilot has and then just change the lower mounting point. I don't know if it was the extra weight, the added length, or a combo of the two but the ride seems too have vastly improved over stock with the crappy stock shocks. I still have the rears set to the softest setting and I think the fronts are have one more setting to go to stiffen them up. in all fairness the front shocks are pretty worn out. They would bottom out pretty easy when it was still a single seater. The rear shocks are the ones that came off of my daughters Ody, I ended up giving her the Suzuki 4 wheeler Works that I had mounted on this Ody .

I do have a fan that I used on it when it was a single seater that I haven't put on yet. There is a pretty good gap between the seats that should let air flow straight onto the cylinder that will hopefully help out some.

Attachments:
File comment: crappy picture but you should be able to see the cylinder between the seats. I am hoping it will help with the cooling
2seat25.jpg
2seat25.jpg [ 52.92 KiB | Viewed 3416 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:14 am 

So,,,, when is the production run? j/k looks great!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:17 am 

rarerat wrote:
Thanks guys.

Hoser,

Neat "Spy" pictures. :-) The handling is much better than I ever thought it would be, the suspension as a whole is softer now. The little I have ridden it you can throw it into a corner and it doesn't feel unstable in the slightest. I was shocked, you can let go of the wheel & it goes straight down the road. :-) I haven't even adjusted the tie rods, they are still adjusted from the other frame. I just cut the right tie rod in half and added the additional length, kind of eye balled it, and welded it back together.

I would like to find a set of Works for the front, but I was thinking of maybe trying to mount a set of those Fox airs on the rear. I'm guessing I could probably make a mounting hoop for the top mount like a Long Travel Pilot has and then just change the lower mounting point. I don't know if it was the extra weight, the added length, or a combo of the two but the ride seems too have vastly improved over stock with the crappy stock shocks. I still have the rears set to the softest setting and I think the fronts are have one more setting to go to stiffen them up. in all fairness the front shocks are pretty worn out. They would bottom out pretty easy when it was still a single seater. The rear shocks are the ones that came off of my daughters Ody, I ended up giving her the Suzuki 4 wheeler Works that I had mounted on this Ody .

I do have a fan that I used on it when it was a single seater that I haven't put on yet. There is a pretty good gap between the seats that should let air flow straight onto the cylinder that will hopefully help out some.

Remove a rear shock and stroke the suspension study how it works.

don't know why a FOX air shock would not work on the rear maybe some of the FL350 gurus can chime in.

Make a limit strap or link to protect the shock if the axle breaks again 350 gurus can chime in .

The fan mod is more (IMO) important when your at low speeds or stopped than anything else, it provides cooling forced air like your doing 40 mph whilst setting still, for example after doing the hard run you did in your video on a 85 degree day you go back to the person running the camera to see if they got the footage, you stop for a min the Engine is smoking hot but the fan is still moving air as if your going 40 mph, the video guy wants to change the battery or tape so you kill the Engine for 5 min without a fan it sets their getting heat soaked, camera guy is ready you fire up the Engine that is already hot and take off WOT (Wide Open Throttle) for more mind blowing footage :-)

I know you know all this I wrote it mostly for the new guys who are following this thread and has not read any discussion on 350 Engine over heating issues and cures :shock:

Get the suspension all sorted out I want a smooth ride when I get a chance to ride in this new creation, hopefully this fall depending on price of gas :shock:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:29 am 

All the talk about cooling fans got me to thinking about the cooling shrouds. With the frame split like it is, the cooling shrouds are no longer in close proximity to the cylinder and you may have a loss in air flow across the cylinder. :shock: The opening between the seats may have compensated for that as you mentioned.

Since you modified the frame, do you have any additional room as far as the distance between the seats and the front of the Engine? The reason why I ask is the 7 inch fan modification I did on my Ody worked great but it limited the foot room because you had to move the seat all the way forward. It looks like you may have an additional 1 1/2 inches behind your seats and the 7 inch radiator cooling fan might be a perfect fit in your 1985 Honda FL350RX2!

I have a couple of bilge fans that I am going to try on RidinDirty's Ody to see if I can get dual cooling fans on it. If yours has the additional room, a bilge fan between the seats just might work!

Rand

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:01 pm 

Randman wrote:
All the talk about cooling fans got me to thinking about the cooling shrouds. With the frame split like it is, the cooling shrouds are no longer in close proximity to the cylinder and you may have a loss in air flow across the cylinder. :shock: The opening between the seats may have compensated for that as you mentioned.

Since you modified the frame, do you have any additional room as far as the distance between the seats and the front of the Engine? The reason why I ask is the 7 inch fan modification I did on my Ody worked great but it limited the foot room because you had to move the seat all the way forward. It looks like you may have an additional 1 1/2 inches behind your seats and the 7 inch radiator cooling fan might be a perfect fit in your 1985 Honda FL350RX2!

Rand

Yes, since I stretched the frame there is a bunch of room between the seats and Engine. Hell I could stuff a 19" fan in there now. lol.. I do plan to make a new bracket to hold my fan and point it right at the cylinder, I was just anxious to go ride this thing after all the work doing the conversion I wanted to make sure it would be a safe before continuing. ::-:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:19 pm 

You need to make a grab bar for your passenger. Tell your daughter not to hold on to the down tube. I know someone who will remain un-named, that rolled a fl350 and she grabbed the roof or downtube (she didnt know, but she did let go of the steering wheel) and her hand was crushed, no bones broke, but her muscles and tendons POPPED OUT!!!!!! From the pressure that was built up in her hand. SAFETY SAFETY SAFETY

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:15 am 

rarerat wrote:
Randman wrote:

Rand

Yes, since I stretched the frame there is a bunch of room between the seats and Engine. Hell I could stuff a 19" fan in there now. lol.. I do plan to make a new bracket to hold my fan and point it right at the cylinder, I was just anxious to go ride this thing after all the work doing the conversion I wanted to make sure it would be a safe before continuing. ::-:

If you can get that fan back there and get the blast pointed right at just above the exhaust that will be sweet! It should add many an hour to your FL350X2!

When do I get to send you both of my FL350's to make an FL350X2 out of them? LOL :-)

Rand

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:28 am 

Amazing project. Well done Sir.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:31 am 

Thank you guys, great advise from all.

I have already built the grab bar for the passenger side, & will get a pic for you all a little later. Still need to build the fan mount but it is in the works also. I started building a hood last night, but really don't like the look of it so I may $hit can that idea for now.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 235 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next