Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Operation Fox Shock 2.0
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:15 am 

Well finally the time has come (almost) where I'm replacing my old suspension with fox shocks in the front and rear...

The front suspension is the Yoda Kit.. The kit was extremely easy to install and everything fit perfect without me having to alter anything.. As soon as I get the new fox shocks in the front, I'll install the LT brackets... It's a very well built kit. Thanks Tom!!

The rear brackets came from DC.. Kit bolted on easy... Thanks Doug

As soon as I install the fox shocks, I'll post some pics..

Attachments:
File comment: DC's bracket kit
IMG_0181.jpg
IMG_0181.jpg [ 49.56 KiB | Viewed 2299 times ]
IMG_0183.JPG
IMG_0183.JPG [ 60.17 KiB | Viewed 2299 times ]
IMG_0185.jpg
IMG_0185.jpg [ 48.77 KiB | Viewed 2299 times ]
File comment: Stock Suspension
IMG_0219.JPG
IMG_0219.JPG [ 73.9 KiB | Viewed 2299 times ]
IMG_0220.jpg
IMG_0220.jpg [ 51.6 KiB | Viewed 2299 times ]
IMG_0226.jpg
IMG_0226.jpg [ 28.11 KiB | Viewed 2299 times ]
File comment: Left Side: Stock Suspension
Right Side: Yoda Kit

IMG_0227.JPG
IMG_0227.JPG [ 57.08 KiB | Viewed 2299 times ]
File comment: Yoda Kit
IMG_0277.JPG
IMG_0277.JPG [ 59.28 KiB | Viewed 2299 times ]
IMG_0280.JPG
IMG_0280.JPG [ 60.26 KiB | Viewed 2299 times ]
IMG_0281.JPG
IMG_0281.JPG [ 56.72 KiB | Viewed 2299 times ]
IMG_0283.JPG
IMG_0283.JPG [ 61.12 KiB | Viewed 2299 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:16 am 

Awesome i will be doing the exact same thing. Keep us posted on the PSI you are going to be running in the shocks. Im curious to find out a good base setup. How long ago did you order the YODA kit? I just did a few days ago. I cant wait

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:32 am 

nitrosport_5 wrote:
Awesome i will be doing the exact same thing. Keep us posted on the PSI you are going to be running in the shocks. Im curious to find out a good base setup. How long ago did you order the YODA kit? I just did a few days ago. I cant wait

I'm going to start the front at 150psi with 60/90 setting and start the rear at 150psi at 40/90 setting.. I started the yoda kit with Tom since last May but it took him longer than normal to build the kit.. You should get yours a lot sooner than I did..

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:38 am 

cruz_01 wrote:
nitrosport_5 wrote:

I'm going to start the front at 150psi with 60/90 setting and start the rear at 150psi at 40/90 setting.. I started the yoda kit with Tom since last May but it took him longer than normal to build the kit.. You should get yours a lot sooner than I did..

Yeah he said March is when its expected to be done. Im fine with the time frame. The outcome will be awesome so i can wait a few months. Plus it alows me to save up and pay for the second half. hehe. Also my pilot wont be done for a few months anyways.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:34 am 

Looks like a nice kit.

Now you just need the right offset wheels.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:42 pm 

bullnerd wrote:
Looks like a nice kit.

Saw that too. It took me some time to get mine at a proper alignment to be honest. Lutrev got a good system to do it I think, perhaps ask for his technique? Your off a bit it appears by the picture.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:40 pm 

Mudbogger wrote:
bullnerd wrote:
Looks like a nice kit.

Saw that too. It took me some time to get mine at a proper alignment to be honest. Lutrev got a good system to do it I think, perhaps ask for his technique? Your off a bit it appears by the picture.

The alignment has been a pain the ass to get right. I'm still working on it.. The rims need to be changed as well.. So Cal Nick has a couple of oem rims that I'll get from him..

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:49 pm 

Update:

After having to re-pipe my house and other expenses that came around, I finally bought fox shocks for the front end.. Installing the LT brackets Yoda made was easy to do and I had no problems installing the new shocks.

Attachments:
fox shocks.jpg
fox shocks.jpg [ 32.62 KiB | Viewed 2125 times ]
fox vs stock shock.jpg
fox vs stock shock.jpg [ 40.78 KiB | Viewed 2122 times ]
IMG_0413.jpg
IMG_0413.jpg [ 38.68 KiB | Viewed 2122 times ]
IMG_0414.jpg
IMG_0414.jpg [ 37.13 KiB | Viewed 2122 times ]
IMG_0416.JPG
IMG_0416.JPG [ 62.47 KiB | Viewed 2122 times ]
LT Kit.JPG
LT Kit.JPG [ 61.76 KiB | Viewed 2122 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:40 pm 

Kit will preform better with stock offset wheels :-)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:46 pm 

Stoneman wrote:

Iwish I had video of you jumping your pilot at the Badlands that time with the wrong offset rims lmao

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:45 pm 

hoser wrote:
Stoneman wrote:

Iwish I had video of you jumping your pilot at the Badlands that time with the wrong offset rims lmao

Easy hoser...Did you not read my previous post. Plan is to replace the shitty rims that came with the pilot with stock ones.. I literally just put on the shocks TODAY. I don't plan on driving it until I replace the rims.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:03 am 

cruz_01 wrote:
hoser wrote:
Stoneman wrote:

Easy hoser...Did you not read my previous post. Plan is to replace the shitty rims that came with the pilot with stock ones.. I literally just put on the shocks TODAY. I don't plan on driving it until I replace the rims.

EASY cruz_01 I was commenting about Stonemans rims he was using on a ride about 10 years ago I remember it like it happen yesterday was funny as hell wish I had a video.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:51 am 

hoser wrote:
cruz_01 wrote:
hoser wrote:
Stoneman wrote:

EASY cruz_01 I was commenting about Stonemans rims he was using on a ride about 10 years ago I remember it like it happen yesterday was funny as hell wish I had a video.

Understand... Sorry about the comment.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:28 pm 

cruz_01 wrote:
hoser wrote:
cruz_01 wrote:
hoser wrote:
Stoneman wrote:

Oh no problem all is good it was almost a private joke sorry to clutter up your post I can delete to clean it up if you wish.

Story was or the joke was Stomenan myself and fiends were riding at the Badlands about 10 years ago Stoneman had some wrong offset rims on the front of his Pilot that was giving him fits and fighting him all weekend, we found this one small easy looking jump to play on each time he jumped it landed on the front then ripped the yoke out of his hands, he then let his buddy try it (Eddie I think?) same thing happen to him he then asked if I wanted to try it lol
even tho it happen so long ago remember it like yesterday...

You will love your new arms and shocks I have the YODA arms on my Pilot too, I still need to finish dialing mine in caster/camber not sure what one is still off on the left side just a touch.

Here is mine viewtopic.php?t=3825 you probably have seen it already but others might not have.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:23 am 

hoser wrote:
cruz_01 wrote:
hoser wrote:
cruz_01 wrote:
hoser wrote:
Stoneman wrote:

Oh no problem all is good it was almost a private joke sorry to clutter up your post I can delete to clean it up if you wish.

Story was or the joke was Stomenan myself and fiends were riding at the Badlands about 10 years ago Stoneman had some wrong offset rims on the front of his Pilot that was giving him fits and fighting him all weekend, we found this one small easy looking jump to play on each time he jumped it landed on the front then ripped the yoke out of his hands, he then let his buddy try it (Eddie I think?) same thing happen to him he then asked if I wanted to try it lol
even tho it happen so long ago remember it like yesterday...

You will love your new arms and shocks I have the YODA arms on my Pilot too, I still need to finish dialing mine in caster/camber not sure what one is still off on the left side just a touch.

Here is mine viewtopic.php?t=3825" .".." .".. you probably have seen it already but others might not have.

Don't worry about changing anything on the post. No big deal...

That's a funny story about Stoneman's issue.. How offset were his front rims?

What stunk about my pilot is that it came with the aftermarket offset rims you see on it right now. I wouldn't know what it would feel like using the right rims.

When I bought the pilot, I asked the guy who I bought it from why the front rims were aftermarket but the rear were stock. His answer was the pilot felt more stable with offset rims in the front... At the time it didn't make much sense, but I tell you if I saw that guy again I would seriously tell him he's a dumb ass.

Where I ride is nothing but hard packed dirt with tons of ruts and drops/dips everywhere. I can't tell you how many times I've ridden the pilot taking corners fast with my head bobbling, spine compressing (old stock suspension) and out of nowhere the steering wheels rips out of my hands and I almost lose complete control of the pilot!! I'm really looking forward to replacing the current rims with stock oem rims and putting the yoda kit and fox shocks to the test!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:46 pm 

Finally got the right rims!!

Attachments:
IMG_0517.JPG
IMG_0517.JPG [ 53.34 KiB | Viewed 1971 times ]
IMG_0518.JPG
IMG_0518.JPG [ 58.63 KiB | Viewed 1971 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:11 pm 

cruz_01 wrote:

Have you had a chance to road test your mods yet?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:35 am 

hoser wrote:
cruz_01 wrote:

Have you had a chance to road test your mods yet?

I did on Sunday... I noticed a huge difference with the fox shocks in the front.. I rode in specific areas to test the new shocks where I had to slam on the brakes with the old stock shocks.. I only downer was after the fox shocks absorbed a hard hit with finesse I kept forgetting that I still had stock shocks in the rear so I kept getting bucked after every hard hit or landing..

Now I'm really looking forward to getting the fox shocks for the rear suspension.

The only other issue I had was the pilot kept pulling to the right and the steering wheel ripped out of my hands in rough areas.. My alignment is still way off so I still need to get that figured out!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:05 am 

Follow up:

I finally got the fox shocks for the rear suspension and took the pilot out today and all I gotta say is HOLY SH!T what a difference.. I couldn't believe how well the suspension soaked up all the hard hits I used to have to slam the brakes before getting bucked..

I was even able to go through a whoop section at WOT (Wide Open Throttle) with no problem.. This was the same whoop section I tried going through with the stock suspension after I bought the pilot 4 years ago and gave myself a concussion.

I only issue I had was my inner CV boot popped off the axle stub after I tried doing a jump I shouldn't have done!! I created a post in tech stuff about this... Still landed smooth but will never try that jump again!!

Big thanks to Lutrev, DC and Yoda for designing an alternative suspension upgrade to an unskilled fabricator like myself!!

Big thanks to Hoser for keeping the site going!!

Pics:

Attachments:
IMG_0723.JPG
IMG_0723.JPG [ 106.72 KiB | Viewed 1770 times ]
IMG_0724.JPG
IMG_0724.JPG [ 97.99 KiB | Viewed 1770 times ]
IMG_0725.JPG
IMG_0725.JPG [ 108.39 KiB | Viewed 1770 times ]
IMG_0726.JPG
IMG_0726.JPG [ 121.79 KiB | Viewed 1770 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:54 am 

Cool pics!

Congrats! :-)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:44 am 

Hey Cruz, is that Hungry Valley SVRA (Gorman) where you were riding?

Rand

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:11 am 

Randman wrote:
Hey Cruz, is that Hungry Valley SVRA (Gorman) where you were riding?

Rand

Yes it is Randman!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:21 am 

Just curious, where in LA are you?

I used to live in Torrance, Lomita and Harbor City. Gorman used to be one of my favorite haunts. Others were..... California City, El mirage and Red Rock Canyon and Pismo Beach.

Man I miss those places!

Rand

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:00 pm 

Randman wrote:
Just curious, where in LA are you?

I used to live in Torrance, Lomita and Harbor City. Gorman used to be one of my favorite haunts. Others were..... California City, El mirage and Red Rock Canyon and Pismo Beach.

Man I miss those places!

Rand

I live in Valencia which is North of L.A. It truly is a blessing to be a 35 minute drive (pulling a trailer) to Hungry Valley.. The park is huge.. Texas Canyon is right by me as well..

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:50 pm 

Ha! You can't fool me!

That's not LA! :-) But if you were to tell anyone you lived in Valencia, they would say.........Where the hell is that?

I also lived in Bakersfield so I am very familiar with the area. I have been to Valencia and Magic Mountain more times than I can count. I can remember when the only thing that was in Valencia WAS Magic Mountain. It sure has changed a lot over the last 40 years.

One of these days I want to get back down there and do some riding.

Rand

Profile E-mail