Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Body armor for my Pilot
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:17 am 

I did some trading with slickrick and aquired a set of aluminum side panels, a hood, and a belly skid. Shoubadaba is helping me mount them to my 89 project pilot. I am still going to be able to go back to the stock plastics if I want to. I bought a foot tub that is not in the greatest shape so I wont feel too bad about cutting it up to clear the hood. Here are a few pics of the progress so far. Had to do a little modifying since the panels are set up for LT and a custom roll cage, but it will work.

Attachments:
1 naked again.jpg
1 naked again.jpg [ 61.41 KiB | Viewed 1927 times ]
2 streaker!.jpg
2 streaker!.jpg [ 67.11 KiB | Viewed 1927 times ]
3 naked rear shot.jpg
3 naked rear shot.jpg [ 83.55 KiB | Viewed 1927 times ]
4 body armor.jpg
4 body armor.jpg [ 50.94 KiB | Viewed 1927 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:19 am 

more

Attachments:
5 armor.jpg
5 armor.jpg [ 60.23 KiB | Viewed 1925 times ]
6 armor.jpg
6 armor.jpg [ 49.37 KiB | Viewed 1925 times ]
7 panels just sitting on it.jpg
7 panels just sitting on it.jpg [ 55.7 KiB | Viewed 1925 times ]
8 other side.jpg
8 other side.jpg [ 62.29 KiB | Viewed 1925 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:20 am 

more

Attachments:
9 shoubadaba makin some cuts.jpg
9 shoubadaba makin some cuts.jpg [ 56.62 KiB | Viewed 1925 times ]
10 more cuts.jpg
10 more cuts.jpg [ 65.8 KiB | Viewed 1925 times ]
11 patched in so far.jpg
11 patched in so far.jpg [ 25.29 KiB | Viewed 1925 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:12 pm 

Dude, that will look sweet when you're done. I personally really like it because I don't like the look of Pilots or Odysseys with factory plastic! Guess I am just partial to way the old VW single seat unlimited's looked in the 70's and 80's.

Rand

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:05 pm 

Yeah, cant wait to see how it turns out. Gonna work on it some today. Might have to cut the sides down a bit for my fat arse to climb in. Going to make some smaller plates for the rear as well to cover some wires and the gas tank. Also thinking of a removable light bar for the front using the stock headlights with the HID conversion.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:56 pm 

Randman wrote:
Dude, that will look sweet when you're done. I personally really like it because I don't like the look of Pilots or Odysseys with factory plastic! Guess I am just partial to way the old VW single seat unlimited's looked in the 70's and 80's.

Rand

I completely agree. Pilots and ody with out fenders is a look I'm all about. But that thing looks great.

keep us posted. I really like that belly skid plate. I've wanted to get one rigged up on my Odyssey.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:07 pm 

That is going to look really sharp!!

any pics of the 56 f100 in the back ground?? :-)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:39 am 

haha lovethe 89 500 wave runner

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:49 am 

2 different garages in these pics. The top pics where I took the plastics off the pilot and set the aluminum panels on it is my garage. My 1970 AMC Javelin is buried under boxes and crap (really pisses me off, gotta do something about it soon!). The other is shoubadaba's garage, the truck belongs to the land lord they are renting the house from. The wave runner is shoubadaba's

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:37 pm 

Got more done. Got dzus tabs welded in place, they should clear if I ever want to stick the plastics back on, so that is cool. Had to trim down the sides since these were designed for a cage that you climbed through the roof area, not through the window area. Will also get a trim piece so I don't cut myself climbing in and out. Still need to mount the skid plate and make some fillers to protect the wires above the left rear tire. Also had to flip the rectafier around on the bracket and move some wires here and there.

Attachments:
12 mounted.jpg
12 mounted.jpg [ 68.25 KiB | Viewed 1780 times ]
13 mounted.jpg
13 mounted.jpg [ 78.84 KiB | Viewed 1780 times ]
14 mounted and marked for trimming.jpg
14 mounted and marked for trimming.jpg [ 56.52 KiB | Viewed 1780 times ]
15 mounted and trimmed for my fat arse to get in.jpg
15 mounted and trimmed for my fat arse to get in.jpg [ 38.9 KiB | Viewed 1780 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:03 pm 

Looks cool.

I always thought a "door" could be made out of the tall sides like yours by hingeing it at the mid rail and holding it closed with some of those super rare earth magnets.Just one side to get in and out.

Are those Briggsbuilt frames I see being "preserved" in the back?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:43 pm 

Looks good, make sure you check your elbow clearance you will be surprised how far your arms will move and I would hate to see you slice your arms open.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:48 pm 

bullnerd wrote:
Looks cool.

I always thought a "door" could be made out of the tall sides like yours by hingeing it at the mid rail and holding it closed with some of those super rare earth magnets.Just one side to get in and out.

SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. don't tell anyone. Those are my 2 other cars I need to put together. I will be putting one together over the next few months once my car is dialed in. Me and my 2 boys will be racing all briggsbuilt cars someday. The 5 year old has some time still but my 12 year old as you can tell from the last race videos is ready for it already. Once my car is back together I will be ready to put 1 back together.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:17 am 

bullnerd wrote:
Looks cool.

We thought about doing a door, but I decided just to trim them down instead. Seemed easier and simpler. I know Bluecoyote had a door made on his H&R car and it looked cool.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:18 am 

afastcar wrote:
Looks good, make sure you check your elbow clearance you will be surprised how far your arms will move and I would hate to see you slice your arms open.

For sure! Yeah, I sat in it and I think I will be ok. I am going to pad the top edge of each side for protection as well

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:54 pm 

at first i really didn't like it, but now that the panels are fitted better is starting to grow on me, defiantly more diver protection from flying dirt and stones

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:09 pm 

shoubadaba ,that's cool!

Looks cool Nick,

How about a bolt in bar that goes between the two upper roll cage mounts?The bolt holes are already there.Run the tube just under the sheet metal and roll it over.this way you'd have the extra protection,and somewhere to sit getting in and out.Just thinking out loud.

I see some fab equipment there,wouldn't be hard to do and could be returned to "stock" ,for all the stock gays. :-)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:58 am 

bullnerd wrote:
shoubadaba ,that's cool!

Looks cool Nick,

How about a bolt in bar that goes between the two upper roll cage mounts?The bolt holes are already there.Run the tube just under the sheet metal and roll it over.this way you'd have the extra protection,and somewhere to sit getting in and out.Just thinking out loud.

I see some fab equipment there,wouldn't be hard to do and could be returned to "stock" ,for all the stock gays. :-)

"Stock gays!" LOL!!!!!!!!

Well, as far as getting in and out, the pilot will eventually have nerf bars. The nerfs will add a steping point for climbing in and out. If the nerfs don't suit me, I may look in to adding that bar so I can "roll the cheeks" in and out without "splitting the hams" LOL

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:35 am 

I have always wondered how the hell you get into one of those cars unless you step through the front area.

Be careful and don't split the hams! LOL

Are we going to add any paint or go au natural?

Rand

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:31 am 

woops,I meant guys....stock guys. :-)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:02 pm 

We VW Bretheren referrer to these types an PURISTS!

Heaven forbid if you do any modifications other than what the factory offered! :shock:

Rand

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:04 pm 

Stock gays still sounded funny! LOL

Havent decided for sure, but am thinking of leaving it natural aluminum. If I paint it, it will just get chipped and piss me off. Plus, it looks cool natural.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:57 pm 

Or get yourself a nice steel brush for your drill, and swirl it up.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:38 am 

to do the swirl you jut need a orbital sander some fine grade sand paper. that's the easiest way to do the swirls..

i wouldn't paint but powder coat or POR 15 would work good, the POR 15 would also be chip resistance

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:12 am 

Just rattle can the panels. This way once it gets good and scratched up you can break out the rattle can and do "touch up"!! You can get pretty creative with a little masking tape and a few different colors. Red, white and blue come to mind.......oh wait......it's not an Ody!

Another thing you can do is to do a little light bead blasting on the panels and then leave them raw. I like that look a little better over the swirlies. I made 2 side panels for the Ody and did the swirlies with a wire brush in a drill. Took me a while to get the swirls to look good but they came out OK.

Rand

Profile E-mail