Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:35 pm 

Found it.

http://www.pilotodyssey.com/250trans.htm" ."..

There is another thread as well, still looking

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:53 am 

NEW TRANS MUCH BETTER!!!!! Had it out under full power and it held together this time. That other chain must have been to far gone.

Another thing I did was take 1 shim out of my 102C to tighten my belt a bit. The clutch was originally a 1 1/4 clutch. Now it's closer to 1 3/16 for my narrower belt. Worked great and very little slamming on the belt now!!!! Great fix!!! I still want to drop the weights and spring a bit but everything has to match there and I'll have to get with comet on that one first.

I'm gonna pick up another case and throw a chain in it just in case. TPReed brough over a muffler from his 350 tonight as well. I'm going to fab that onto mine tomorrow to see what happens there, I do like the look of the factory 250 pipe on it.

I think TPReed is going to post some vid of it running tonoght.....Thanks Tim!!!!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:05 pm 

murph4478 wrote:
NEW TRANS MUCH BETTER!!!!! Had it out under full power and it held together this time. That other chain must have been to far gone.

Another thing I did was take 1 shim out of my 102C to tighten my belt a bit. The clutch was originally a 1 1/4 clutch. Now it's closer to 1 3/16 for my narrower belt. Worked great and very little slamming on the belt now!!!! Great fix!!! I still want to drop the weights and spring a bit but everything has to match there and I'll have to get with comet on that one first.

I'm gonna pick up another case and throw a chain in it just in case. TPReed brough over a muffler from his 350 tonight as well. I'm going to fab that onto mine tomorrow to see what happens there, I do like the mook of the factory 250 pipe on it.

I think TPReed is going to post some vid of it running tonoght.....Thanks Tim!!!!!

Yes I will!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 1:38 am 

Okay waiting for the vids is killing me. Lets see it bucko.... :)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 2:53 am 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rocxwx1gYPs

its a little shorter.. i cut out parts with my license plates :-)

we forgot to ground the regulator.. that's why i shouted at the end.. saw some sparks as it arc'd to the frame lol

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 8:01 am 

THANKS TIM!!!!!

Rigged the fl350 muffer to my hybrid fl250 exhaust last night....MUCH, MUCH quieter!!!!!! Going to take it off today and finish weld it, having problems with the MIG so this should be interesting.

Going to mount the radiator right behind my head inside the cage, should be nice when done, as long as it doesn't blow, could get a bit warm on the dome. Then it's time to figure out a fuel tank, I have my eye on a plastic unit from a ridding mower, might, just might, fit through the original 250 hole in the crossmember. I've worked so hard to keep everything low on this machine, I would hate to put a slosh bucket up high. I also thought of putting a flat unit uder the cage above my legs up front....might effect line of sight though. We'll see what devolopes.

THANKS AGAIN TIME FOR THE VID!!!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 9:32 pm 

Hello...been a while!!!

Gas tank problem solved...did not want to use the ever-so-common buggy tank but had no choice, could NOT find anything that would fit into the stock location..sucks, but oh well.

THANKS FOR THE DEAL FATCAT!!!!, AND THANKS TO TPREED FOR TURNING ME ON TO THE TANK!!!!! Without guys like you a build would be a real bitch!!!!!!!!

Now, I gotta fab a mini cage to protect the tank..more fun!

Had it out tonight with the new tank, finally I don't have to carry a gas can now....lol!!!!

Have some welding on the cage and all done!....finally!!!!...then teardown and paint and powercoating....can't wait!!!

Stay tuned.

Attachments:
001.JPG
001.JPG [ 88.03 KiB | Viewed 1093 times ]
003.JPG
003.JPG [ 81.3 KiB | Viewed 1093 times ]
002.JPG
002.JPG [ 92.37 KiB | Viewed 1093 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 10:40 pm 

Almost done now. How does it shift?

What are you using for the floor?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 1:54 am 

You don't waste any time! Turned out real good. I wish I would've known I was getting rid of it. I would've put a good polish on it for ya! Glad your happy with it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 1:58 am 

Oh and damn those tomato plants are huge. Makes my little garden look pathetic.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 2:31 am 

Fatcat wrote:

HAHA this is what murph and I talked about when i was at his house the other night.. I guess the one will get as tall as his garage!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 9:52 am 

bighead wrote:
Almost done now. How does it shift?

What are you using for the floor?

I do have a tub for it, just have to paint it.

Shifting is a bit hairy. I had it on the service road for metra racing the express, and it didn't shift till a pretty high speed, then it got a bit hairy in the gravel. I think I'm going to change the driven with the 83 model I have and leave the belt spacer out to see if this helps. I believe my belt is narrow enough to acomadate the stock 83 clutch, we'll see. But no, I do not like the shift speed, seems like the driven spring has too much preload on it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 10:01 am 

Looking good that thing will be a blast once dialed in.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 10:02 am 

Fatcat wrote:
You don't waste any time! Turned out real good. I wish I would've known I was getting rid of it. I would've put a good polish on it for ya! Glad your happy with it.

I cleaned it up a bit, the wife wants to get the mothers polish on it when we do the tear down for paint, I was going to paint it but it looks pretty bad ass with the alum finish. Thanks again for the deal, solved a lot of problems for me and made room for the battery and oil tank. I still need to find some tires for the front, the street riding is really tearing them up.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 10:09 am 

hoser wrote:
Looking good that thing will be a blast once dialed in.

Thanks, I'm way ahead of where I thought I would be by now.

I did some testing on the electrical last night. I looks like the voltage is AC from the stator, as we thought. Now I have to do some figuring on where the hell it gets converted to DC for the original sled headlight....should be fun. My plan is to throw in a couple of relays for the fan and lights to lessen draw at idle. I'm not sure what I'm going to do if I have to rectify the voltage.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 10:20 am 

Fatcat wrote:

That one with the biggest cage on it will get at least 6-8 feet tall if I let it. The one nearest the garage is a grape tomato that will produce tomatoes in bunches, like grape bunches, but about one inch by 1-1/2 long...they're great!!!!

Give me a call later, me and Tim are talking about getting together soon for a ride, maybe the Cliffs? All I really need to do is the welding on the cage and throw in the foot tub and I'm ready for a "gentle" ride...like that will happen. It needs a real good test ride somewhere I don't have to worry about 50.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 11:31 am 

murph4478 wrote:
Fatcat wrote:

That one with the biggest cage on it will get at least 6-8 feet tall if I let it. The one nearest the garage is a grape tomato that will produce tomatoes in bunches, like grape bunches, but about one inch by 1-1/2 long...they're great!!!!

Give me a call later, me and Tim are talking about getting together soon for a ride, maybe the Cliffs? All I really need to do is the welding on the cage and throw in the foot tub and I'm ready for a "gentle" ride...like that will happen. It needs a real good test ride somewhere I don't have to worry about 50.

Your welcome Sir and I agree with your wife. With a little elbow grease it will shine like a mirror.
I've got a few things I need to do but I'm about ready for a little ride. PM or email me your number and I'll give you a buzz after work.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:52 am 

Well...it's all AC voltage in this beast. I found a rectifier at raido shack and some rectifier/diodes. I tried the diode and it works, however, it's only making around 9V DC, not a full 12V DC. The fan runs but not a full sped, which, may be a good thing, I would like to see a full 12V DC though. I'm going to wire in the rectifier today and see what I get there, should be a true 12V DC.....now apms are another issue completely, we'll be crossing this bridge soon, too many is not good, too few is not good either, we'll see what happens.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:45 am 

Well guys....looks like a we're gonna have a new member soon.

Attachments:
001.JPG
001.JPG [ 99.07 KiB | Viewed 1057 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:41 am 

murph4478 wrote:
Well...it's all AC voltage in this beast. I found a rectifier at raido shack and some rectifier/diodes. I tried the diode and it works, however, it's only making around 9V DC, not a full 12V DC. The fan runs but not a full sped, which, may be a good thing, I would like to see a full 12V DC though. I'm going to wire in the rectifier today and see what I get there, should be a true 12V DC.....now apms are another issue completely, we'll be crossing this bridge soon, too many is not good, too few is not good either, we'll see what happens.

You check voltage at about 1/2 throttle?

You have a battery installed?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:58 pm 

hoser wrote:
murph4478 wrote:

You check voltage at about 1/2 throttle?

You have a battery installed?

No battery.
I just tried a new meter, now it looks like about 10-11 DCV...a little more when reved.... better.
I touched the diode/rectifier and it gets hot, not so how that ya can't hold it but it gets warm. Should it?
I ran it with no fan and it got up to 190 F and when I turned on the fan it dropped all the way down to about 110 F. Much better!!!!

I also have a rectifier but it seem that I will have to get some kind of a regulator for it. It has AC-AC-B+ and Groung on it. My two yellow wires are supposed to attach to the two AC posts, my rectified DC will be B+ and the ground will get grounded. I'm wondering what kind of regulator I should get and how to hook it up?????? I think I'll need a battery then too.

Thanks for all the help!!!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:23 am 

When I switched my stock fl250 to the Goki starter and battery this is the part I used.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Trail-Tech-Univ ... 92&vxp=mtr" .".." ."..

•Universal 150 Watt full wave voltage regulator/rectifier for 12 volt motorcycles and ATVs.
•Designed to rectify A.C. output current to D.C. voltage.
•Not a universal OEM replacement.
•For use in single phase applications. Does not work in dual or three phase applications.
•Floated ground is required.

My father in law is my wiring guy. This is just what we did and thought it may help. we had to float the ground on the lighting coil and solder wire to that ground and run it out with the ohter stator wires. The Goki diode only just gave us a half wave charge. After we added this part we got full wave. What ever that means. LOL

Did you sled Engine originaly have a battery?

There is a guy named Hotrod on this site that helped me lots when I did mine. Have not seen him around though.

Perhaps you have to float the ground like above?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:44 am 

Been a while...

Going to post pics in the next day or so.

She's all finished. Ended up replacing the driven clutsh with an 84 model with a 1/8 spacer in it, rather than the 3/16, much better. I also cleaned my drive clutch sheeves with a fine sandpaper, much better as well. all painted now. Electrical is done, for the most part. Fan is working great! Steering is a bit hairy though, wants to shimmy a bit, I'm going to look into that as well, I think it's the tires, they're bald! Anyway here's a pic from the other day, I'll get more on ASAP!!!! I rerouted the coolant hoses, padded the bars ect... since this pic, the fl350 muffler isn'n in this one either. It's unbelievably quiet, you can talk normally to someone when standing right next to it....neighbors are a bit happier too!

Can't believe I got this done this fast, I was expecting a year at any rate!!!

It's going to be for sale soon...I WANT A 350 TO BUILD NOW!!!!! If ya know anyone interested let me know, I want it to go to a good home!!!!

Attachments:
001.JPG
001.JPG [ 106.79 KiB | Viewed 940 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:10 am 

Hi Murph, I forgot about you. Hopefully your planning on keeping this until the Oct. Badlands ride???
You should have came out to Tim's the day we rode. PM sent!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:36 pm 

Electrical is 100% done now, everything worked out great!!!!

Here are a few more pics, sorry, I took them before I came in tonight might be a bit dark.

Fenders are going on tomorrow! I have to fab up some supports for under the fenders to add a little lift to these lazy old things.

Also re-routed the coolant hoses....much cleaner look!!!!

Well........whats everyone think thus far?

Attachments:
001.JPG
001.JPG [ 61.63 KiB | Viewed 931 times ]
003.JPG
003.JPG [ 89.19 KiB | Viewed 931 times ]
005.JPG
005.JPG [ 82.93 KiB | Viewed 931 times ]
007.JPG
007.JPG [ 71.57 KiB | Viewed 931 times ]
006.JPG
006.JPG [ 69.35 KiB | Viewed 931 times ]
002.JPG
002.JPG [ 69.5 KiB | Viewed 931 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next