Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 7:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:09 pm 

Hi folks, how you all doing,
Well looks like I have got myself another fixer-upper, think this one is going to be a bit of a challenge, although the main chassis is one of the best I've seen considering the state of the rest of the parts.
This one is going to be a Sled bed or maybe something different, lots of ideas spinning about in my head at the moment, but priority is to get it all together first to see if its all there or it may be better to part it out. (last resort)

Found some real good parts in there though, 3 complete rear calipers in the boxes all of which are perfectly serviceable also 2 carb isulators which after a clean look as good as new.
The gearbox casing has broken at the lower mount but looks clean, so I'm going to weld it up and lap the casing so all should be OK I will post up pictures of the repair for anybody who's curious to see the inside of a gearbox.

Its late here now, so I'm going to hit the sack so I'm all fresh for another day in the garage tommorrow.

Heres some pictures to start this latest project off.

Simon L

ImageImage
ImageImage

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:12 pm 

Nothing like a good ole basket case project cant wait to see it running again.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:09 pm 

that's what you call a basket case for sure. This is the type of deal I need to find. I never have the cash to buy a running FL350.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:43 pm 

if you part it out i got dibbs on the stator and flywheel

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:02 pm 

Where did you pick this up at? I never saw it go through ebay. Check out my Alabama Pilot Wreck. viewtopic.php?f=5&t=9241" .".." .".. Mine was probably just as much of a basket case, but mine was all together, just has been sitting in a field for 10 years! It looks like it should be an awesome project.

I really hope that it is complete enough and in good enough shape that you are able to save it, but if you do decide to part it out, i would be interested in a caliper or two, and the side pannels if they are in good shape and the steering wheel/master cylinders. I had to add this in there, because if i didnt mention it first, someone else would have. :shock: :-)

EDIT: looks like halorising beat me to dibsing parts if you ever parted it out :-)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:02 am 

Wonder what shipping will be like from England?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:18 am 

Shipping will be high.Just sent an a-arm for $44, another guy bought 4 stock wheels(wheels only) that cost $157 to ship. :shock: I am guessing the shipping will be about the same from the UK to the USA .

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:21 am 

I say put it back together, drive the hell out of it :-)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:32 pm 

Wow, I am amazed at how quickly the vultures are gathering, Just in case there is a potential meal, don't worry if I decide to part it you guys will be the first to know, but my instinct is to rebuild and restore :-)

Anyhow here's today's progress, went at it and attacked the Gearbox (Its a transmission !!!!), sorry Hoser couldn't resist

Anyhow this is how it should look

And this is how it did look OUCH!!!

Proceeded to strip the whole thing apart, this was of course after the mandatory 5 day WD40 soaking and knuckle loss process we love to call CV stub removal.

A light bit of welding and lapping later and

Put it all back together replacing any parts that looked slightly suspect, pumped it up using some nitrogen and tested the gaskets a repaired section with a bit of soapy water, all good so filled up with a Litre of oil and put away for when its needed.

Sat with my feet up now with a cup of tea (How British) don't worry Dave looking at best way to ship your Powerbloc as well!!

Simon L

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:43 pm 

Nice work on the fix.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:00 pm 

Nice. That weld looks great.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:54 am 

hoser wrote:

shipping to the US is alot more expensive than the other way round....i sent a set of tires out yesterday cost $200 to FL and last set i brought in cost $100 so double the price....

looking good Simon :-) :-) :-) :-)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:17 am 

britboard wrote:
Wow, I am amazed at how quickly the vultures are gathering, Just in case there is a potential meal, don't worry if I decide to part it you guys will be the first to know, but my instinct is to rebuild and restore :-)

Anyhow here's today's progress, went at it and attacked the Gearbox (Its a transmission !!!!), sorry Hoser couldn't resist

Anyhow this is how it should look

And this is how it did look OUCH!!!

Proceeded to strip the whole thing apart, this was of course after the mandatory 5 day WD40 soaking and knuckle loss process we love to call CV stub removal.

A light bit of welding and lapping later and

Put it all back together replacing any parts that looked slightly suspect, pumped it up using some nitrogen and tested the gaskets a repaired section with a bit of soapy water, all good so filled up with a Litre of oil and put away for when its needed.

Sat with my feet up now with a cup of tea (How British) don't worry Dave looking at best way to ship your Powerbloc as well!!

Simon L

Looking spot on Simon! Got the crank seal added to my order last night so I'll get that changed during the clutch change. Thanks for the heads up. Found a few good topics on the clutch puller tool on here so I'll try and get something made up :)

Cheers

David

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:38 pm 

Not much progress over the last few days, have been spending most of my time working out what is there and what is missing.
I have now got to the point that I think this is a Pilot worth saving, and I am going to return it to its former glory. Sorry to all who were hoping to get some parts off it, but I would prefer to put another pilot back into circulation rather than see another go to the scrapyard.

The right side Crankcase was very badly damaged after what looks like a bearing failure of the balancer shaft, look closely fellow Piloteers this what happens if you don't bother to check your oils. This lack of maintenance by Mr Skill Billy ruined the casing, alternator, flywheel, balancer gear and starter pinion all in one foul swoop. I'm going to rewind the alternator as the core is good and I have a contact at Lucas who has seen the flywheel and that thinks its going to be no problem to re-line it with fresh magnets. I will let everybody know if it works as I know its a dis-continued part, Fortunately I have got a new OEM flywheel so i'm good either way.

So with that in mind I sold my soul to Soichiro Honda today and probably spent more money on this project than this Pilot will ever be worth.
Here's the pictures of the latest purchases, I suggest you look away if you are easily upset.

Brand new OEM crankcase, balancer gear, crank seals and bearings

A good used (80.5mm) Cylinder

Brand new OEM tail light and left rear knuckle (yes rear left!!)

Brand new OEM complete plastics plus 2 new spare front fenders

Only things I'm missing if anybody can help are the balancer retainer clips, or if you could put up a picture with dimensions for me I'm pretty sure I could cobble a set together.

OK I'm going to bed now to figure out how I'm to pay this months mortgage and where I can get some Valium.

Tune in tomorrow for the next exciting episode of "how to get a divorce and go bankrupt in one easy lesson.

Simon.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:39 pm 

where in the hell did you find new side pannels if you don't mind me asking?!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:21 pm 

Ditto on the side panels.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:50 pm 

Sorry Guys I think I may have found the last remaining set of side panels that anybody was willing to sell, if I manage to find any more I will let you know, but I don't think they will be cheap, mine certainly cost me!!!

If anybody is stuck for parts always let me know as I have some good leads into parts and will gladly get people a price for pretty much anything pilot.

With that here today's foray into the basket-case pilot part sourcing game, pretty much got everything I need now, so its all down to paint, sorry powdercoating (still keeping the faith Mudbogger!) and lots of elbow grease. Still Only one big decision to be made, should I make this one a long travel ???

Simon L