Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 130 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:10 am 

beastmobile wrote:
I will take all that tomorrow. It takes a second for it to slip into gear when I hit the throttle, but the throttle sticks also. I think one of the Rods on the back wheel is bent though. I think I can re adjust it. It in honestly, rides good and starts right up. I just wish the kill switch worked and had electric start. The previous owner told me he rode it before and it rode just the same as it does now, which isn't bad. It just needs the steering fixed and I think somee air in the tires lol.

And the belt turns good.

How is the belt wearing? Post a pic of the belt and clutches if you can? I would like to see how they are riding in the clutches.

A machine shop could make that axle true again. If it is bent that is. Also look at all the tabs the shocks and suspenson arms bolt to. Look for bends and cracks with paint chipping or pealing.

You have a part of Odyssey Racing History. treat it well.

I cannot remember if you said it or not. But does the last owner have the original Engine? Find out!!!!!!!! It's worth big money.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:58 am 

What part of WV? I have family in Hurricane and in Logan. We go out there every year. As far as the Engine that was originally in this. Im going to say by the looks of where the old Engine mounts were it was a fl250 Engine. Most likely a modified 250 lowerend with a fl350 watercooled topend. The rear suspension is called a swingarm style. It only has 1 single pivot point on the axle not 2 like the fl350 or fl400.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:39 am 

I live very close to Logan. And I would love to find that Engine, I will get right on it.

If I have the time and cash, could I get this looking like a pretty pearl in like a month?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:11 pm 

Ill be out there this summer. I will have to make a trip out to you and check this thing out. We usually come out during 4th of july we do a nice picnic in Cheif Logan park and hangout before going to the Island for the fireworks on saturday.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:26 pm 

Hey, I'm up for that! Just hit me up when your in town.

Quick question- Since this is a rotax off of a 1980 Ski doo snowmobile, I know to use high octane fuel, but what should be the ratio of oil? The rotax site says 50:1 but the previous owner told me 20:1. Help me out with this question someone.

I put some air in the tires today, and tried starting the beast up, but I don't like to start him up because of no air filters, the Engine is dual carb, what size filters should I get and brand? Any suggestions? Also what kind of oil should I use to mix with the gas? Suggestions please!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:00 am 

32:1 mix and you always use premium fuel for 2 strokes.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:27 am 

Are you positive about the 32:1? Why would it say 50:1 online?
I'm not second guessing you, I just don't wanna blow my Engine by putting the wrong gasoline in lol.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:14 am 

20:1...you will be smokey, and the heavier oil mix may actually increase your running temp. 95% fuel, 5% oil.

32:1...standard 2-stroke mix, 96.88% fuel + 3.12% oil. Use in everything from lawn edgers to chainsaws to Quadzillas.

50:1...not enough lubrication (IMHO). 98% fuel, 2% oil. There is 1/3 less oil here than 32:1.

Just my $.02. I've always been a 32:1 guy...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:38 am 

Thanks DMoneyAllStar. This is my first 2 stroke Engine. I appreciate it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:34 pm 

beastmobile wrote:
Are you positive about the 32:1? Why would it say 50:1 online?
I'm not second guessing you, I just don't wanna blow my Engine by putting the wrong gasoline in lol.

Also 50:1 in a snowmobile. Remember they run in snow that means its below 30 degrees outside so they run much cooler then when in a buggy and its 80 degrees outside so 50:1 tends to be not enough oil

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:38 pm 

Without this site, I'd be in a world of trouble with this thing lol.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:59 pm 

Well guys, today, I finally took my old beast out for the first actual test drive. And I have a carb problem. The right carb drains gas out of the flood hose. How do I fix that? And how can I unrapture the power of my beast? I messed with the carbs some and it seemed as the tighter I made the carbs, the faster it went. It had some trouble with accelaration, but I kinda expected that. The only real problem I have is the right carb leaks and the left doesn't. Any suggestions?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:25 pm 

Stuck float, stuck carb fuel shut off valve or improper float height.

Rand

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:05 pm 

I'll take apart the carb tomorrow and check and see. Hopefully it is nothing major. It's almost riding season here in WV!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:53 pm 

Does anybody know a place to order parts for a mikuni vm 34-203 dual carb? And where to find an air filter for this? I really need help!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:13 am 

beastmobile wrote:
Does anybody know a place to order parts for a mikuni vm 34-203 dual carb? And where to find an air filter for this? I really need help!

Whats wrong with the carbs?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:24 am 

Well, The big problem is, the damn thing won't run. I start it up, and it will idle, soon as I hit the gas, it shuts off and one of the carbs floods badly and over flows. So, I take the carbs off and clean them and put them back on - fixes it, pulls out, 2 seconds into the ride, shuts off. Now it won't start anymore. I think I need spark plugs but that wouldn't cause the flooding of the carbs. I need an air filter and I don't know where I could buy one for this carb. I'm actually thinking about taking out this Engine and putting in a new one, any suggestions? I could really use them before I go crazy. I just want this thing to work! I wanna ride!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:35 am 

Whats the make a model number of your Engine? And measure the carb where they filter goes and buy a UNI pod filter the same size. what sled was your Engine originaly in? This will help you find parts on Ebay.

Fixing or buying a new carb will be easier than trying to add another Engine.

Or beter yet fab up this and use ariginal filters.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NICE-503-Rotax- ... f7&vxp=mtr

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:39 am 

Make sure it is the same. Edit: from a single carb model. Probably will not work.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ski-Doo-Everest ... 2b&vxp=mtr" .".." ."..

Or this but it may be hard to set up and look good with your set up.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NICE-503-Rotax- ... f7&vxp=mtr" ."..

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:47 am 

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=mik ... &_from=R40" .".." .".." ."..

Looks like you can buy the china knocks off carbs for this. I used them with great results on my ATC three wheelers. Again confirm these are the same carbs. And buy from USA seller for fasting shipping IMO.

$28 free shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mikuni-VM32-VM3 ... f0&vxp=mtr" ."..

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:32 am 

It's a 503 rotax Engine off of a 1980 Ski doo blizzard 5500 with dual carbs.

I got the problem with the gas spill fixed, it doesn't shoot out the tubes anymore. But the thing won't start up, when it does it will go for a few seconds, then shut off.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:06 am 

beastmobile wrote:
It's a 503 rotax Engine off of a 1980 Ski doo blizzard 5500 with dual carbs.

I got the problem with the gas spill fixed, it doesn't shoot out the tubes anymore. But the thing won't start up, when it does it will go for a few seconds, then shut off.

I had a old moto ski with that same Engine the type 503 is a great Engine you will love it, protect it from eating dirt it will run for about ever, that Engine is highly sought after by the ultra-lite guys for use on their air planes they bring top dollar.

Verify your getting gas and spark you need fuel, spark and air for the Engine to run, I will assume its getting air and building compression so that leaves spark and fuel, this have a CDI (Capacitor Discharge Ignition) or points ignition?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:12 am 

To be completely honest, I don't know what CDI (Capacitor Discharge Ignition) or points ignition is. I just know that when I pull start it, another person has to put their hands over the carbs with just a tiny bit of air going to them, to get the Engine to start.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:36 am 

beastmobile wrote:
To be completely honest, I don't know what CDI (Capacitor Discharge Ignition) or points ignition is. I just know that when I pull start it, another person has to put their hands over the carbs with just a tiny bit of air going to them, to get the Engine to start.

These carbs have a choke on them?

I need detail pics of the carbs and the intake area of the Engine please.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:38 pm 

I found out I have a CDI (Capacitor Discharge Ignition) ignition and if does not have a choke on it. I think the airbox serves as a choke. I bid on one on eBay that bighead found for me, I hope I can get this. And I found out that the right carb hasn't worked in ages probably and the left carb is the only one that's working. I gotta take carbs off today and take them to my mechanic and see if he can fix it. Quick question. The buggy still has the od tranny in it, what type of oil does it take?

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 130 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next