Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:29 am 

I have Douglas rims on mine & ride it hard all day long with out any cramps or arm fatigue.

I'm not a super strong person either & I drive for 1.5hrs continuously each time I go out. No problems so far.

Drive it for a day & decide for yourself.

The Douglas .190 rims are very strong too. I've hit many large (3-4") diameter sticks at WOT (Wide Open Throttle) without causing any dents.

Also jumped it 5' high on stock shocks. You will love those Works soaking up the bumps.

Beautiful work on your restoration too.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:46 am 

3/29/12

Got the new tires mounted on the aluminum rims and finished up a few small things. Still waiting on my last fender. I hope to try and fire her up sometime this weekend!

I also finally got the center console all back together.

More to come!! :)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:04 am 

I received my NOS RR fender and roll bar bads yedsterday! Also got some new wrist restraints in the deal as well!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:43 pm 

get about 10 spark plugs and fire that bitch up!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:23 pm 

10 spark plugs? She fired right up today! :-)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:46 pm 

So since I had some time with the motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) out, I decided to fab up a hood and some side panels. They were cut and formed from 1/8" white plastic sheet. Here are a few shots of what I have so far. I haven't had the opportunity to mount up the side panels yet.

Hood and side panels. The Honda decal just taped in place for now. Didn't want to waste it in case I didn't like the way it turned out.

Here I have the hood test mounted. I plan to run the light wires through the hood for a cleaner look.

Here is a shot of the support beam/light mount. It bolts directly to the frame on either side.

I hope to get the sides mounted up in the next few days.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:52 pm 

Looks good, don't make it too pretty it will all just get knocked off when you ride :shock:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:07 pm 

hoser wrote:
Looks good, don't make it too pretty it will all just get knocked off when you ride :shock:

:shock: I hope not! I hope it holds up for a while. :::

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 1:44 pm 

Well I thought I would update my thread. I got the Engine back from hoser and did my break in on it. It went fine and low compression is no longer an issue. I am, though, at the end of my wits with trying to tune the carb with the new intake! I am beyond frustrated. More then once I was ready to put a for sale sign in it and walk away. It's very frustrating when you put this amount of time and money into something and after all that not be able to enjoy it. Especially when it is something that seems fairly simple like re-jetting. If I had any hair to pull on, it would all be gone for sure! Anyone in the Chicagoland area willing to take this thing from me and get it going? I would be oh so grateful!

Well anyway, even though it is not running at its top potential right now, that doesn't stop me from moving it into the grass for some poser shots for you guys. Enjoy!

And for the ugliest shot of all. Had I known I was going to take the restore this far I would have had this bar cut out and redone. Ah, well. At least its on the underside and you don't see it unless you are looking for it.

I try not to think of that bar. When I think about the Ody, I like to picture it like this. :-)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 2:14 pm 

If you're going to run an open filter, replace that K&N with a UNI. Also be sure to stick some nylons around the UNI for added protection. K&N's let too much stuff through for off road use. You might be better off using the stock air box with a UNI inside, then do the dual snorkel setup with K&N pre-filters.

Great looking ody.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 8:01 pm 

Very nice looking 350... What is it doing re the jetting that has you so troubled?

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 10:05 pm 

go oddy wrote:
Very nice looking 350... What is it doing re the jetting that has you so troubled?

Thanks. It fires right up and idles almost instantly. After it is warmed up and ready to ride I can't get my mid to upper throttle to run smoothly. It just bogs and sputters and flattens out. It's like this no matter what I do with the jets. It use to run fine with the stock air box on it, but after hoser worked his magic on the Engine, it runs the same with either intake. Not sure if maybe my carb is too small now or what.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 10:13 pm 

Nelly wrote:
go oddy wrote:

Thanks. It fires right up and idles almost instantly. After it is warmed up and ready to ride I can't get my mid to upper throttle to run smoothly. It just bogs and sputters and flattens out. It's like this no matter what I do with the jets. It use to run fine with the stock air box on it, but after hoser worked his magic on the Engine, it runs the same with either intake. Not sure if maybe my carb is too small now or what.

We definately need to swap my carb on there since our mods and machines are identical. At least so you can feel some power! Either too much fuel or too little in the mixture.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 9:41 am 

Nelly wrote:
go oddy wrote:

Is it like its way to rich on the top end or above 3/4 to full throttle?

No matter how long you hold it at full throttle it never cleans out?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 9:58 am 

hoser wrote:
Nelly wrote:
go oddy wrote:

Correct. I can hold it down and it never clears out.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 12:53 pm 

Nelly wrote:
hoser wrote:
Nelly wrote:
go oddy wrote:

Correct. I can hold it down and it never clears out.

Ok so its getting too much fuel and or maybe its getting the correct amount of fuel and just not burning it.

We will look at this in 2 steps first lets assume your getting too much fuel their is a few ways this can happen.

1. If your main jet is too big.
2. If the float level in the carb is too high it can allow more than the required fuel into the Engine.
3. If the diaphragm in the fuel pump is bad it will suck the fuel through the fuel pump, through the bad diaphragm then through the pulse tube into the cylinder.
4. Not enough air is being mixed with the fuel the Engine is sucking in, a intake restriction like a mouse nest in the intake some place, I have washed my ATV's before and forgot to remove the duct tape sealing the intake before, I have forgot to remove the plastic bag covering the prefilters before, it sounds like you already eliminated this possibility.

If its getting the correct amount of fuel and just not burning it I would look at a intermittent spark problem, bad spark plug or getting close to being fouled, bad spark plug boot or connection, bad connection in the wiring system some place, I have seen guys paint things then when they hook up grounds not remove the paint to their is a good ground path.

A restricted exhaust will also not allow a Engine to rev out, mouse nest in exhaust, forgot a rag in the exhaust to keep dirt out while it was apart, you forgot to remove it before installing the exhaust now its blocking the spark arrester.

Any of these ideas possible?

Please list all your mods and any jetting changes, fuel system changes.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 1:32 pm 

hoser wrote:
Ok so its getting too much fuel and or maybe its getting the correct amount of fuel and just not burning it.

We will look at this in 2 steps first lets assume your getting too much fuel their is a few ways this can happen.

1. If your main jet is too big.
2. If the float level in the carb is too high it can allow more than the required fuel into the Engine.
3. If the diaphragm in the fuel pump is bad it will suck the fuel through the fuel pump, through the bad diaphragm then through the pulse tube into the cylinder.
4. Not enough air is being mixed with the fuel the Engine is sucking in, a intake restriction like a mouse nest in the intake some place, I have washed my ATV's before and forgot to remove the duct tape sealing the intake before, I have forgot to remove the plastic bag covering the prefilters before, it sounds like you already eliminated this possibility.

If its getting the correct amount of fuel and just not burning it I would look at a intermittent spark problem, bad spark plug or getting close to being fouled, bad spark plug boot or connection, bad connection in the wiring system some place, I have seen guys paint things then when they hook up grounds not remove the paint to their is a good ground path.

A restricted exhaust will also not allow a Engine to rev out, mouse nest in exhaust, forgot a rag in the exhaust to keep dirt out while it was apart, you forgot to remove it before installing the exhaust now its blocking the spark arrester.

Any of these ideas possible?

Please list all your mods and any jetting changes, fuel system changes.

Ok, lets see if I can get you all the answers you're looking for.

1. I guess it is possible the main jet is too big. I am running the stock carb and it has a 150 main jet in it right now.

2.When I dissembled and cleaned the carb I inspected all of the components and set them per the owners manual instructions. So the float level should be in the proper position.

3. I have replaced the fuel filter and lines. The lines are see-through and there is no visible fuel making its way through the pulse tube.

4.There is no intake restriction. In fact I was assuming that it was getting too much air and that was the reason for the sputtering/bogging.

As for it being a spark problem, I suppose this is possible as well. I will check over my grounds to make sure they have good connections. I will check over the wiring for any obvious issues and make sure the plug is getting a good connection.

The mods on my Ody are:
-Stock carb running a 150 main jet and the needle clip is all the way at the bottom. Before any jetting changes it had a 142 main jet and the needle clip was 2 notches from the bottom.
-Bored 1 over with 81mm Wiseco piston.
-Exhaust port matched to DG pipe with stock style muffler/silencer.
-DFW intake
-Comet 94c clutch
-Everything else is stock.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 2:01 pm 

Ok there's your problem you made your needle as rich as it can go with putting the clip all the way to the bottom put it back to the middle and put in a 148 or 145 main jet might even need the 142 again.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 2:09 pm 

You know what try removing the silenced and running it. See if it clears out.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 2:46 pm 

I should have mentioned this earlier, but, it ran the same before I did any jetting adjustments. Jetting adjustments have not seemed to change my problem one way or the other. The only way I was ever able to get good upper end out of it was when I restricted the new intake (used painters tape to cover 3/4 of it). The thing ran like a bat out of hell! I haven't been able to replicate that since. I have even tried to go back to the stock air intake.

Also, top end was fine before I pulled the Engine. It didn't bog or sputter at all. Only difference between then and now is, I have higher compression, ported exhaust, and the intake (which doesn't really matter as it runs the same with or without it).

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 3:23 pm 

Hi Nelly, I'm running a 148 main jet and the clip is in the second groove from the bottom. Im also at 81mm if I remember correctly. I'm running a power Pro's pipe and silencer with my stock carb. I havn't ridden mine or got the RPM up since I started heat cycling it. It appears to be running very rich. It smokes like a chimney and my plug is wet and black. Also has anyone ran the DG pipe with the stock silencer? Maybe it doesn't allow enough flow for the rest of your improvements. If you bought the DG pipe new you might still have the silencer. I'd switch them out and try it. The tape over the intake thing. Perhaps the tape was choking the intake enough to match the flow that the silencer can handle. Maybe I'm crazy to. Just thinking out loud here.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 3:34 pm 

Also consider trying the original black stock silencer. Did you get it to run right with the new silencer? Maybe something failed inside that one and is causing blockage. If you don't have the stock one I've got one you can try if you pick it up.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 3:53 pm 

Are you getting a lot of smoke at WOT (Wide Open Throttle) ?

Ok guys whats up with the 350 when they wont rev out I forget so don't even know what search terms to search for, wasn't their a reverse safety switch issue with these that would mess up the way it ran acted like it was on the rev limiter all the time?

Rev limiter = intermittent spark

Help me?

Remove the wires from the switch on the trans twist them together then ground them?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 3:56 pm 

hoser wrote:

Ok guys whats up with the 350 when they wont rev out I forget so don't even know what search terms to search for, wasn't their a reverse safety switch issue with these that would mess up the way it ran acted like it was on the rev limiter all the time?

Help me?

Remove the wires from the switch on the trans twist them together then ground them?

yeah the neutral safety swich could be bad thinking its in neutral or reverse. if you ground the 2 wires like hoser sait it will bypass the switch letting thr odyssey start in gear and have no reverse rev limiter

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 4:04 pm 

nitrosport_5 wrote:
hoser wrote:

Help me?

yeah the neutral safety swich could be bad thinking its in neutral or reverse. if you ground the 2 wires like hoser sait it will bypass the switch letting thr odyssey start in gear and have no reverse rev limiter

Nelly you understand the start in gear thing, meaning it will start in gear take off run down the street kill 40-50 people, the driver, numerous neighborhood pets and kids, smash into a building then burn it down?

We need to have a safety meeting on this?

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next