Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:26 pm 

Fatcat wrote:
Did you ever pull the cylinder for inspection? What did you find? I like the blue. Looks very nice.

A friend that lives in Southern Utah said he would look at the cylinder(as I would have no idea what to look for) planning on going down there in November. Thanks, when it's finished I'm going to haul it out to the Bonneville Salt Flats. A good friend of mine is a Photographer and said he would take some killer pictures. Very excited, the white salt and the blue 350 should make for some cool shots :-)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:48 pm 

Take lots of pics while you're there. Do you understand what he's saying by the scuffing on the cylinder wall. Wish I had the super arrows. If you look at your pics of the cylinder you can see the darker up/down streaks. that's from something rubbing it. Can you turn the Engine over until you can see the side of the piston through the exhaust port and snap a few pics? Try to get a good pic of the ring area. You tricked me earlier. After I said that I noticed this has an air cooled head on it. I'd definitely pull the cylinder or have your friend do it. Just to see what's going on. If alls good it will only cost you a base gasket.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:52 pm 

Fatcat wrote:
Take lots of pics while you're there. Do you understand what he's saying by the scuffing on the cylinder wall. Wish I had the super arrows. If you look at your pics of the cylinder you can see the darker up/down streaks. that's from something rubbing it. Can you turn the Engine over until you can see the side of the piston through the exhaust port and snap a few pics? Try to get a good pic of the ring area. You tricked me earlier. After I said that I noticed this has an air cooled head on it. I'd definitely pull the cylinder or have your friend do it. Just to see what's going on. If alls good it will only cost you a base gasket.

I'll go out and take some pictures though the exhaust port. Thanks for the advise. Put the water cooled head on the other 350. It's been in the high 90's this summer, thought it was a good idea. Used the recommended Polaris Outlaw overflow bottle, not pictured in the thread.

Here's the thread:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=10530

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:02 pm 

Fatcat; here's those pictures. What do you think?

Thanks

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:22 pm 

By the looks of the piston and the bore, it has some rubbing issues. Looking at the scorch mark on the piston by the exhaust bridge, the top end has had some extreme heat build up. Also looking at the bore it has been highly polished showing signs of a lot of hours on the top end.

Note the piston has grooves running around the piston near the ring area. Note that you don't see the grooves around the lower part of the piston. This is a sign of piston wear.

Whenever you receive a FL350 Engine you should pull the head and cylinder off and check its condition unless you yourself have witnessed the build and know how many hours are on it.

1.) Check the piston to cylinder wall clearance. Should be no more than the .006" service limit.

2.) Check the ring gap. Should be no more than .020" service limit.

3.) Check to make sure the holes have been bored in the piston and the exhaust bridge has been relieved.

I can't count how many times I have been told or have heard from someone else "low hours" or "I just rebuilt it" and the top end is worn out way past it's service limit.

Pull the cylinder and inspect the clearances for peace of mind!

Rand

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:13 am 

Randman wrote:
By the looks of the piston and the bore, it has some rubbing issues. Looking at the scorch mark on the piston by the exhaust bridge, the top end has had some extreme heat build up. Also looking at the bore it has been highly polished showing signs of a lot of hours on the top end.

Note the piston has grooves running around the piston near the ring area. Note that you don't see the grooves around the lower part of the piston. This is a sign of piston wear.

Whenever you receive a FL350 Engine you should pull the head and cylinder off and check its condition unless you yourself have witnessed the build and know how many hours are on it.

1.) Check the piston to cylinder wall clearance. Should be no more than the .006" service limit.

2.) Check the ring gap. Should be no more than .020" service limit.

3.) Check to make sure the holes have been bored in the piston and the exhaust bridge has been relieved.

I can't count how many times I have been told or have heard from someone else "low hours" or "I just rebuilt it" and the top end is worn out way past it's service limit.

Pull the cylinder and inspect the clearances for peace of mind!

Rand

I really appreciate the advice.

Would you recommend a hone; new piston and rings?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:59 am 

It all depends on the condition of the cylinder after inspection. Even though the piston wears out, so does the bore. The bore of the cylinder may be too large to accept a new piston of the same bore size. If this is the case, you will need to bore your cylinder to the next bore size. If it is not excessively worn then you can hone the cylinder and install a new piston and rings. If the piston to cylinder clearance is within specification, you can hone the cylinder and just install new rings.

I hate to be pessimistic but the average person who owns a 2 stroke ATV, generally runs the Engine until it starts showing signs of a problem. It is only then that they try to remedy the problem. If the 2 stroke top end is monitored as it should be, you can usually get enough life to wear out 2 pistons per each bore of the cylinder.

Post your findings of the inspection and we can advise you from there.

Rand

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:12 am 

Randman wrote:
It all depends on the condition of the cylinder after inspection. Even though the piston wears out, so does the bore. The bore of the cylinder may be too large to accept a new piston of the same bore size. If this is the case, you will need to bore your cylinder to the next bore size. If it is not excessively worn then you can hone the cylinder and install a new piston and rings. If the piston to cylinder clearance is within specification, you can hone the cylinder and just install new rings.

I hate to be pessimistic but the average person who owns a 2 stroke ATV, generally runs the Engine until it starts showing signs of a problem. It is only then that they try to remedy the problem. If the 2 stroke top end is monitored as it should be, you can usually get enough life to wear out 2 pistons per each bore of the cylinder.

Post your findings of the inspection and we can advise you from there.

Rand

Will do sir; thanks again for all the help! ::-:

Next time I head to South Lake Tahoe I'll have to buy you lunch :-)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:24 am 

Have your people call my people and we'll do lunch. LOL :-)

Seriously, stop by Carson City on your way to Tahoe if you get a chance.

Rand

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:36 am 

I see a few things in your pics of the exhaust port, first what is the red specs in the exhaust port tunnel?

Looking between the top and bottom rings I see black carbon build up, this is normal but looking at the thickness of the buildup its time to pull the top end for inspection and measurements the carbon will be flaking off soon if it has not already.

Its hard to tell if all the machine marks are worn off the skirt of the piston but soon as you remove the piston you can tell by looking, compare whats left to the non thrust sides of the piston but the piston to cylinder clearance is what were really after.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:18 pm 

Randman wrote:
Have your people call my people and we'll do lunch. LOL :-)

Seriously, stop by Carson City on your way to Tahoe if you get a chance.

Rand

LOL, Sounds good:-) We always drive through Carson City on are way there.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:23 pm 

hoser wrote:
I see a few things in your pics of the exhaust port, first what is the red specs in the exhaust port tunnel?

Looking between the top and bottom rings I see black carbon build up, this is normal but looking at the thickness of the buildup its time to pull the top end for inspection and measurements the carbon will be flaking off soon if it has not already.

Its hard to tell if all the machine marks are worn off the skirt of the piston but soon as you remove the piston you can tell by looking, compare whats left to the non thrust sides of the piston but the piston to cylinder clearance is what were really after.

Hoser thanks for chiming in, The red specs are from a shop rage I had stuffed in the port. I'll try to get it off soon, after it's off I'll post detailed pictures of the piston/cylinder.

Thanks

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:44 pm 

A few updated pics:

Profile E-mail