Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:56 pm 

Hey guys new to the site here, picked up a challenger 250 odyssey from a neighbor for cheap and worked on it all winter to get it running. Only problem is , is it has a 503 rotax fan cooled Engine and its getting hot after about 15 minutes now. I don't know how to cool it down, I was thinking of putting a air scoop on it. Or bigger main jets?? Let me know what you guys have for ideas. blue: -:: ::-:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:15 pm 

SRX 540 wrote:
Hey guys new to the site here, picked up a challenger 250 odyssey from a neighbor for cheap and worked on it all winter to get it running. Only problem is , is it has a 503 rotax fan cooled Engine and its getting hot after about 15 minutes now. I don't know how to cool it down, I was thinking of putting a air scoop on it. Or bigger main jets?? Let me know what you guys have for ideas. blue: -:: ::-:

Those rotax motors have a belt driven fan that flows through a housing if im correct?

Maybe removing the belt fan, and installing a higher cfm fan and mod it into the shroud. Im not sure how many cfm that dependant stock fan puts out but i know it blows less when the motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) is idling and building up heat.

(source: 377 Rotax owner)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:20 am 

Why you think its over heating?

Any pics of your setup?

They use that 503 on ultralights without over heating problems.

Have you checked to ensure all your ducting and shrouds are installed properly and the belt is not slipping for the fan?

Check to make sure a mouse has not built a nest some place inside blocking air flow had this happen on other fan cooled machines myself over the years.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:06 am 

can you post pics of your challenger?

I have a 340cc fan cooled in this FL250 with no heating problems. Even did a parade in it last year with no problems.

Attachments:
CIMG4465.JPG
CIMG4465.JPG [ 59.55 KiB | Viewed 1384 times ]
CIMG4467.JPG
CIMG4467.JPG [ 58.67 KiB | Viewed 1384 times ]
CIMG5320.JPG
CIMG5320.JPG [ 70.31 KiB | Viewed 1384 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:11 am 

I couldn't load pics on my old computer i will try to get some posted. Maybe the fan is slipping... i had a lot of problems with the secondary clutch blowing apart with this big motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) so i had to put bolts in the clutch half to attach the helix to it because it just keep ripping the steal rivets out. As for the Engine i will see if there's any mouse nests in it. This thing sat for probably 10 years until i got it running again. Ill take pics tonight and post them for you guys. This thing really runs awesome and people cant believe how fast it is. When i put the fan belt on maybe i made it too tight and didnt adjust it right. I just hope the bottom end doesnt have to be redone. BUT i do remember fogging it in the winter real good when i was trying to get it running. Maybe the belt is slipping or theres debree in the fan housing. Thanks for the imput guys and fast response.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:39 pm 

Aside from air flow, make sure your jetting is good. How do you know you are running hot?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:18 pm 

Are you mixing gas or using the an oil pump?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:28 pm 

The Engine is the 79 model, so it is stock pre-mix. I think I need to up the pilot jets they seem a little lean yet. They just had a really lean light brown look to them. And i think its running hot because it ran great for about 15 minutes and started bogging.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:40 pm 

I've got to agree with the others something isn't right there I have probably owned about 10 503's over the years for use in Hovercrafts and I have never had any overheating issues. What exhaust system and carbs are you runnning??
Post up some pictures

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:12 pm 

Running stock exhaust system and dual carbs.... It has a low end bogg when its cold and slowly comes out of it when you prime it when starting it. Once it does it clears out and runs amasing for about 15 minutes and then gets boggy in the mid range. When you keep pumping the throttle it comes out of it...Could be a bunch of things, crank seal, carb, clutch, I really don't know.. But once it cools down for about 15 minutes its ok again. Hence me thinking its overheating. Could be the fan belt isnt adjusted right.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:53 am 

Sounds fuel delivery problem to me vent in the gas tank venting?

You have clear fuel lines? I would verify fuel is getting to the carbs when it starts to happen, having about 8-12" of vertical clear gas line on each carb would be a great sight glass when it happens see if the lines are full or not.

Usually as a 2 stroke Engine gets over heated the throttle response is the first to fade, no hesitation just less throttle response, its no longer crisp as it was when the Engine was first started and past the cold warm up.

You also notice less power at full throttle under load.

Gas lines and tank not run close to a heat source so vapor locking the fuel system is not a problem?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:05 pm 

I think its just a clutching issue. The clutch is getting hot and binding up, I sprayed lub on the secondary shaft and the clutch seemed to be opening and closing properly again.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:07 pm 

So i think its a clutching issue, i lubed up the clutch after it got hot and it started working again so i don't know how to
work this bug out. I worked on the points for a few hours on saturday, and had to basically make a clutch again when it separated from the helix.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:56 pm 

SRX 540 wrote:
So i think its a clutching issue, i lubed up the clutch after it got hot and it started working again so i don't know how to
work this bug out. I worked on the points for a few hours on saturday, and had to basically make a clutch again when it separated from the helix.

It sounds like you need to service the clutches, any pictures on what your working on?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:10 pm 

I cant seem to ad pics on here here is the buggy its not a challenger i don't think looking at all the other pics of challengers.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:15 am 

SRX 540 wrote:
I cant seem to ad pics on here here is the buggy its not a challenger i don't think looking at all the other pics of challengers.

What kind of problem you having with adding the pictures?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:01 pm 

Here are the pics guys, at work and finally got them to load but on my good computer here lol. There's the buggy pics, the clutch i made with bolts instead of steal rivets (had no other choice) steel ones keep snapping off and that secondary is brutal to get back on. And pics of the farm here which i will put under the riding section. The bolts are probably the reason that the clutch binds or sticks but it only binds when it gets hot so not sure what to do, because when i added lube it ran great.

Attachments:
buggy1.jpg
buggy1.jpg [ 7.76 KiB | Viewed 1233 times ]
buggy2.jpg
buggy2.jpg [ 8.45 KiB | Viewed 1233 times ]
buggy3.jpg
buggy3.jpg [ 7.81 KiB | Viewed 1233 times ]
clth.jpg
clth.jpg [ 7.81 KiB | Viewed 1233 times ]
clth2.jpg
clth2.jpg [ 7.15 KiB | Viewed 1233 times ]
farm.jpg
farm.jpg [ 9.28 KiB | Viewed 1233 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:36 am 

Hey what comments did you guys have about the odyssey? is it just homemade?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:03 pm 

So what did you guys think of the clutch and the buggy?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:21 pm 

I still think the Engine is getting hot boggs after 15 or 20 minutes. Clutch was binding a bit but i think the Engine is getting hot.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:12 pm 

I like the cage! Can you get more detailed pics of the machine?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:49 pm 

Hey guys I rolled the ody, didnt break anything. Hit my head real hard off the roll cage, and bruised my shoulder and chest. Pushed it a little too hard and flipped but it happens. Keep riding after for a bit but still really hurt lol.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:12 pm 

Yah you have to watch these old fl250's man. Glad you are okay though.

Looks like time to replace the driven clutch. What grad bolts are you using? Try some grade 8 with red locktight.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:06 am 

Thanks bighead, lol real sore this morning but glad i didnt have to go to the hospital sure am glad i was wearing the trusty old
1995 shoei helmet. If i was wearing some cheap deal i think i would have got concussed bad, like all the cheap helmets you see guys wear now . But ya it must be the clutch that's wearing and sticking it was running real well before in the cold weather since it got warmer that's when it starts to bogg after 20 minutes. I think if i got a new belt it would be better the old one seems to have lost its shape. the V is out of it and it must be gettin sucked down into the secondary, theres a nice stock, slower 250 odyssey in michigan im lookin at that comes with another one i was gonna sell one and keep the nice original one this guy had. My buggy is too fast for the summer months (no where to ride on the farm when everything is planted) no dunes or trails to ride it and its just overall too fast with the 503 not have suspension in the back.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:47 am 

SRX 540 wrote:
Thanks bighead, lol real sore this morning but glad i didnt have to go to the hospital sure am glad i was wearing the trusty old
1995 shoei helmet. If i was wearing some cheap deal i think i would have got concussed bad, like all the cheap helmets you see guys wear now . But ya it must be the clutch that's wearing and sticking it was running real well before in the cold weather since it got warmer that's when it starts to bogg after 20 minutes. I think if i got a new belt it would be better the old one seems to have lost its shape. the V is out of it and it must be gettin sucked down into the secondary, theres a nice stock, slower 250 odyssey in michigan im lookin at that comes with another one i was gonna sell one and keep the nice original one this guy had. My buggy is too fast for the summer months (no where to ride on the farm when everything is planted) no dunes or trails to ride it and its just overall too fast with the 503 not have suspension in the back.

I knew that 503 would be too fast for the FL250 the 503 I had was mounted in a Moto-Ski sled and it was too fast for the sleds brakes and suspension lol Be better off in a Pilot, I actually considered a type 503 for my Engine conversion just to save more weight I could remove everything that had to do with a cooling system on the Pilot :-) but the gear head in me opted for the type 454 ROTAX with 20 more HP :shock:

Attachments:
1981_MOTO_SKI_5_PP5714.jpg
1981_MOTO_SKI_5_PP5714.jpg [ 70.32 KiB | Viewed 1109 times ]
 Profile E-mail