Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: FL powered Superlite
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:24 pm 

I posted. Briefly prior to the site issues so will start over. I found this site after picking up an FL350 last year. Shortly after I had a customer I was chatting with and the Odyssey topic came up. Long story short I traded sight unseen for what was described as an Odyssey that was raced in the Mickey Thompson Superlite series. When I went to pick up my heart sank for a second when I saw it. On first look without body panels it looked like a yarf dog. Upon closer inspection my fears were eased, it was as described. I picked up the car with a bunch of spare parts and drug it home. I had posted some photos here a while ago, it appears those were lost here. I will post the photos I have, unfortunately I cannot locate the originals. Any information you might have on this chassis would be appreciated. I think there is interesting history with this car as one of the sponsors listed on body work is Hillside Honda. I have started restoration finally and will start another thread on the build. I Have learned a lot here but I'm sure there will be a bunch of questions as I go, I appreciate everyone's helpfulness!

Attachments:
frntpnk.jpg
frntpnk.jpg [ 97.18 KiB | Viewed 2368 times ]
rearpnk.jpg
rearpnk.jpg [ 115.59 KiB | Viewed 2368 times ]

Post subject: Re: FL powered Superlte
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:29 pm 

Sounds really cool! I'll definately be watching this topic. Keep us posted.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:56 pm 

I added a couple photos from the disassembly. I have a couple of the frame with new powder coat.

Attachments:
bcs.jpg
bcs.jpg [ 127.15 KiB | Viewed 2368 times ]
bkfq.jpg
bkfq.jpg [ 145.22 KiB | Viewed 2368 times ]
bcr.jpg
bcr.jpg [ 42.65 KiB | Viewed 2368 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:39 pm 

Please share lots of pics. That's super cool. Did it come with an Engine? I notice it's fl350 suspension and a FL250 wheel?? Did this start as a 250 with upgraded suspension or a modified 350?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:34 pm 

As far as I can tell it is a custom frame with fl350 suspension. It came with three sets of works shocks. Two rear sets, one with reservoirs and one pair for the front. I received a bunch of extras as well will post photos of those. Power is what looks like a 350 bottom with cr top end? Good eye on the wheel, I've got two extras of these. This one has been modified. The previous owner ran without front brakes, instead this lever has been changed to throttle. Another modification is the rear brake with master cylinder from motorcycle bolted to wheel.

Here is the best photo I could find of the unit when I got it. I know I have more, just can't find them between two phones, three computers and two cameras.

Attachments:
ody 001.JPG
ody 001.JPG [ 76.5 KiB | Viewed 2309 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:18 pm 

Here is a pic of the power plant, I can get more angles, I was going to start a seperte thread ont eh build. I need to look through the parts manual and figure out what I need to add the electric start.

Attachments:
starter.jpg
starter.jpg [ 40.2 KiB | Viewed 2308 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:23 pm 

One more quick one just for the Hillside Honda Sponsor. (Stickers by other yahoo's)

Attachments:
sidegls.jpg
sidegls.jpg [ 42.04 KiB | Viewed 2305 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:34 pm 

That sounds like a great deal with all those extra parts. I've been looking around today and havn't found anything about it. I did find either my Engine or it's twin on a stadium lite. Made my day! CR on 350? Youve got my interest! Can we get a couple close up pics of your Engine? Maybe hillside Honda head??? Looks like custom water jacketed 350 cylinder. My setup is a rands head with the water cooled cylinder. That's super cool! I wish I had a buggy like that to put it in.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:08 pm 

millette wrote:
Here is a pic of the power plant, I can get more angles, I was going to start a seperte thread ont eh build. I need to look through the parts manual and figure out what I need to add the electric start.

as far as i can tell, it is a stock FL350 cylinder with a custom water jacket. and the head appears to be a HillsideHonda head.

and to add electric start, i think you will only need to add a flywheel and starter. Does the wiring harness still have all of the rest of the battery and charging system left in it?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:42 pm 

Thanks for the input guys! I know basically jack schmit, although I have been researching and learning. Guess I'll throw out that I am one of those guys who like the ody's and pilots for the hand controls. Had an accident in '85 and broke myself good. Riding dirt bikes was one of the things I missed most so for a 16 year old kid the odyssey then the pilot seemed the perfect fit. Unfortunately they didn't fit my budget. So here I am 25 years later with two of em. It's a good thing I have a couple guys here At the shop that are eager to help with the heavy lifting.

Back on topic, it appears the harness has been altered some. I will do a little more research to see what I am missing.

How about that chassis? Any guesses? Modified challenger frame? The guy did mention that he raced 250's as well.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:13 pm 

millette wrote:
Thanks for the input guys! I know basically jack schmit, although I have been researching and learning. Guess I'll throw out that I am one of those guys who like the ody's and pilots for the hand controls. Had an accident in '85 and broke myself good. Riding dirt bikes was one of the things I missed most so for a 16 year old kid the odyssey then the pilot seemed the perfect fit. Unfortunately they didn't fit my budget. So here I am 25 years later with two of em. It's a good thing I have a couple guys here At the shop that are eager to help with the heavy lifting.

Back on topic, it appears the harness has been altered some. I will do a little more research to see what I am missing.

How about that chassis? Any guesses? Modified challenger frame? The guy did mention that he raced 250's as well.

I too am into the Pilots and Odysseys for the hand controls. They were pretty damn perfect! Ive got 3 Odysseys and a pilot now haha! its an addiction

I am wondering if it would be best to pick up a stock FL350 harness and go from there. If the charging system has been cut from it i think it would be best to just get a complete harness. Has the stator been modified as in wires removed from it?

here is a copy of the FL350 manual if you don't have one. may be helpful for a wire harness and what not. http://g2buggy.g2-innovations.com/gente ... manual.zip

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:51 pm 

nitrosport_5 wrote:
millette wrote:

I too am into the Pilots and Odysseys for the hand controls. They were pretty damn perfect! Ive got 3 Odysseys and a pilot now haha! its an addiction

I am wondering if it would be best to pick up a stock FL350 harness and go from there. If the charging system has been cut from it i think it would be best to just get a complete harness. Has the stator been modified as in wires removed from it? A

here is a copy of the FL350 manual if you don't have one. may be helpful for a wire harness and what not. http://g2buggy.g2-innovations.com/gente ... manual.zip" .".." .".." ."..

Thanks for that link, I didn't have that one yet. Going to spend some time familiarizing. Probably the best choice to pick up a stock harness as I will want to add lights as well.
It seems you are right about the addiction, I certainly had no intention of picking up a second. It will be nice to have a second for some of my friends that use chairs as well.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 3:40 pm 

Any updates?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 8:47 pm 

I might ask call Hillside Honda and ask Trevor if he has a clue as to the origin of it?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 10:59 pm 

I am in love with your buggy. It's going to sweet friend.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 4:54 pm 

Fatcat wrote:
Any updates?

A little work done. Not moving to fast at the moment, have the trans in position and working on the front end. Initially thought the frame had been damaged and repaired behind upper J arm mount. Turns out that the upper shock mount was ground off and moved back a several inches.

Attachments:
photo-1.JPG
photo-1.JPG [ 37.82 KiB | Viewed 2113 times ]
photo.JPG
photo.JPG [ 136.89 KiB | Viewed 2113 times ]

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 4:58 pm 

Mudbogger wrote:
I might ask call Hillside Honda and ask Trevor if he has a clue as to the origin of it?

I thought of calling Hillside and forwarding a couple photos, wasn't sure who to ask for. Thanks for the lead I will follow up with him. All I really know is it ran in stadium races, was pink and driven by "Rhonda".

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 5:03 pm 

bighead wrote:

Thanks Bighead, it is going slowly but seeing a little progress. I have looked at some of your projects, they look great. I thought you might like this one. And actually I do believe it is right in your backyard. You are near PDX right? I have this out at our shop near the airport.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 6:05 pm 

Is this being restored to ride/race or for show?

Did you mount the front upper shocks or were they there when you got it?

I don't think they are in the most ideal position.Can you pull the spring and take a pic of the front suspension at full bump?

Love the frame color.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 8:20 pm 

bullnerd wrote:
Is this being restored to ride/race or for show?

Did you mount the front upper shocks or were they there when you got it?

I don't think they are in the most ideal position.Can you pull the spring and take a pic of the front suspension at full bump?

Love the frame color.

RIDE! I anticipate it will primarily run at the dunes. I hear there is short course racing in central Oregon I might race next year if there is a series.

The upper shock had been repositioned already when I purchased. I looked at pulling the spring when cleaning the shocks. I would need to pull the shrader in order to do so. I may still do so as I anticipate the shocks going back to Works for rebuild.

The frame is black chrome, I really like it, had the Subaru wheels coated in the same color.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 8:40 pm 

Didn't waste any time making a call to Trevor. Really nice guy, took some time and gave me a ton of info on the car. It is one of 5 or 6 made for Hillside. Trevor has the last one built. This car was raced by the daughter of the guy who did the Fiberglas bodywork for Hillsides cars. Will be getting additional info after I email Trevor.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 9:20 pm 

Sounds good.
Doesnt the spring come off the other end?Opposite the body?
It doesnt matter.You want the shock to be about 90deg. to the lower arm at full bump.
If you now the compressed length,just check it without the shock mounted and measure between the mounts.Or make a mock up shock out of carboard.
look at the front of a race vw buggy,that's why the shock are leaned so far forward,not back.

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 6:55 pm 

millette wrote:
bighead wrote:

Thanks Bighead, it is going slowly but seeing a little progress. I have looked at some of your projects, they look great. I thought you might like this one. And actually I do believe it is right in your backyard. You are near PDX right? I have this out at our shop near the airport.

Wow even in PDX? Nice, When I get my Yellow car done we need to go a few laps. I wonder if they would let me race my car in the central Oregon races? It has a 360cc Cammex Racing Products Engine. Do not know how I would do on jumps. But I think it would get around a flat track well. This car was raced in Open Class III Ody racing back in the day. I been calling it my FL350 killer but I have never raced one. hehe

Attachments:
DSC06697.JPG
DSC06697.JPG [ 90.45 KiB | Viewed 2072 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 8:29 pm 

bullnerd wrote:
Sounds good.
Doesnt the spring come off the other end?Opposite the body?
It doesnt matter.You want the shock to be about 90deg. to the lower arm at full bump.
If you now the compressed length,just check it without the shock mounted and measure between the mounts.Or make a mock up shock out of carboard.
look at the front of a race vw buggy,that's why the shock are leaned so far forward,not back.

I was not sure how it disassembled and didn't want to screw anything up. Also not sure what the stroke length of the shock is. I will look into it.

In regards to shock position I guess that was high tech for the day. I see other racers with similar position. Bigheads yellow ride has similar positioning. Will try to get photos at full bump.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 8:38 pm 

bighead wrote:
millette wrote:
bighead wrote:

Wow even in PDX? Nice, When I get my Yellow car done we need to go a few laps. I wonder if they would let me race my car in the central Oregon races? It has a 360cc Cammex Racing Products Engine. Do not know how I would do on jumps. But I think it would get around a flat track well. This car was raced in Open Class III Ody racing back in the day. I been calling it my FL350 killer but I have never raced one. hehe

I'm in for a get together. You ride at sand lake or? That is usually where we ride of down at Oregon Dunes. Spinreel or horsefalls. Heading to Bend area beginning of next month to check it out for the first time.

I am sure they would let you run on the track if you wanted. It sounds like they are in need of numbers. Broad class ranges though. Here is a link. http://centraloregonracepark.com/

Sounds like a showdown in our future. Look forward to it. I hope to have mine done for the Bend ride but at the rate it is goin not holding my breath.