Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:10 am 

Picked up this Challenger. no Engine. P.O. bought it 20 years ago. $400

Picked up a Rotax type 467 sled Engine with all the goodies. $100

It is getting A arms front and rear from a rhino. Picked up all Arms, front knuckles, shocks for $100

Already have 2 sets of wheels and tires. Stock Rhino still with nubbies $100, nice ITP set $200 NEW!!

still tossing many many ideas on what to do for the drive set up in the rear.

Enjoy...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:57 am 

Looks kind of like the challenger hoser had.

http://pilotodyssey.com/challenger.htm

How much for the tie rods? And the complete rear trailing arm suspension? if they are for sale that is?

that's a sick car man. Sure you want to cut it up? I would love to have that car. It's going to be wide and really low with A-arms. Or looks that way anyway.

If your near Oregon I will give you $1000 just for the car right now. Or trade a restored fl250 or your choice? Have to ask for i am nutz over challenger cars.

Attachments:
DSC07722.JPG
DSC07722.JPG [ 78.23 KiB | Viewed 1917 times ]
CIMG4927.JPG
CIMG4927.JPG [ 86.21 KiB | Viewed 1917 times ]
CIMG4915.JPG
CIMG4915.JPG [ 80.69 KiB | Viewed 1917 times ]
CIMG4467.JPG
CIMG4467.JPG [ 58.67 KiB | Viewed 1917 times ]
CIMG4170.JPG
CIMG4170.JPG [ 70.77 KiB | Viewed 1917 times ]
CIMG5195.JPG
CIMG5195.JPG [ 100.71 KiB | Viewed 1916 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:50 am 

Nice score.

You will like that 467 Engine , pull the rotary valve cover off before you run it make sure its not damaged or a bunch of dirt got behind it, its sealed with a O ring so its just 4 bolts and the cover comes right off.

You might want to do this mod before installing that Engine http://www.pilotodyssey.com/CHtransmount.htm

More info on the Challenger I had http://www.pilotodyssey.com/challengerhome.htm

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:29 am 

bighead wrote:
How much for the tie rods? And the complete rear trailing arm suspension? if they are for sale that is?

They will be up for sale. Make me an offer...

hoser wrote:
Nice score.

Thanks. Your pictures and info is what made me jump on this deal when I saw it. I knew nothing about these cars before a week ago. Learning quick.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:49 pm 

Can you post some pics of the tie rods so I can see what they are?

needing the tie rods now. But next month when my summer sales pick up I would be interested in the rear setup and the wheels with hubs.

Are you sure you want to cut up this car? You have the holy grail of challenger Ody's. It's your car but I will cry when I see it cut up.

I wonder if there is a way to add that axle setup to this class two racer I am restoring next. Pretty sure i seen this setup in a ody frame for sure. Your setup would be sick in this car. It would work for it's the side reduction unit style.

Let me ponder on it a few and make you an offer. I got to dig up and find the pics I seen of this setup in an ody frame.

Attachments:
CIMG5064.JPG
CIMG5064.JPG [ 57.28 KiB | Viewed 1855 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:47 am 

You also have the smaller 7" drivin Ody clutch. This lets your top speed more than about 45 like the stocker 9" clutch. This is another rare part for the fl250's guys. Are you selling the reduction with clutch?

How wide will it be? Are you cutting out that main bar in the front that the j-arms slide onto? If you cut out that bar save it for me. I would be interested in that ASAP as well.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:35 am 

Since the Challenger frame is complete minus Engine, put the sled Engine in the Challenger and call it a day. Save the Rhino parts for a different project, they aren't going to work well with that Challenger frame.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:37 pm 

sorry guys... you are going to hate me!! I know I know, you guys would rather not know about something like this. Bear with me...

I already dissected it. I am really looking forward to all the plans I have on this.. pics and captions...

Brass pipe reducer as a bushing... interesting.
Removed parts all for sale... LINK for full size. http://www.aliensweat.com/buggy/IMG_3221HIGH.jpg
4x? hub haven't measured. I have the gold matching wheels and will be selling those too. THey were light. Especially with the dry rotted tires on there.

U-joints in the rear. They were all buggered up. Looks like they were stripped out and somebody welded them to the axle. also cracked around the ears and those were also welded. There was no saving this and I had to cut the axle. I would not run these.

Tie rod setup . Looks like somebody added the piece in the middle. It has been ground down and a sleeve added on.

I like the shock extension. lol

As you can see in the last pic, I cut the ends off the front J arm bar. :-( sorry boys.
]Image

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:52 pm 

I'm not sure how well this tranny will hold up after reading some posts on here... the P.O. said he had a 440 sled on there a long time ago and it has survived.
couple Q's:
Can this transmission be run in reverse? Meaning if I were to flip it around so the output is more centered in the car?
Are there any known splines out there that slip into the output?

I am still pondering all my possible drievetrain setup options at this point. I am keeping this as much budget as possible. If the Engine runs very well without much $ into it, then I could forsee something like an RPM or STAK box in the rear. I am pretty under budget so far, but still more to buy.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:43 pm 

bairy2 wrote:
I'm not sure how well this tranny will hold up after reading some posts on here... the P.O. said he had a 440 sled on there a long time ago and it has survived.
couple Q's:
Can this transmission be run in reverse? Meaning if I were to flip it around so the output is more centered in the car?
Are there any known splines out there that slip into the output?

I am still pondering all my possible drievetrain setup options at this point. I am keeping this as much budget as possible. If the Engine runs very well without much $ into it, then I could forsee something like an RPM or STAK box in the rear. I am pretty under budget so far, but still more to buy.

I have seen the FL250 trans take a beating under race conditions with a 90 HP sled Engine installed WOT (Wide Open Throttle) then lock up the brakes then WOT (Wide Open Throttle) lock up the brakes just keep a eye on the chain stretch easily checked after each race see the service manual on checking....

Before you install replace the chain go to a harley shop have them make you one up you want the best chain they have and no master link if it comes with O rings remove them they are just drag this will also allow the trans oil to get into the pins help with lubrication, see this link http://www.pilotodyssey.com/250trans.htm

YES you can mount the trans in the center and flip it around the trans has all straight cut gears they run any direction I have even seen that trans flipped then tilted so far forward it was almost laying down flat then the Engine mounted above and behind the trans the drive clutch was in back and the driven was in front opposite of what you normally see :shock:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:49 pm 

my yellow car has the trans in the center. Not sure what they did but it's in the center.

As far as splines axle for this swap is rare to find. You may have to make/machine your own using tractor parts using the axle you have now that fits the trans splines. Or start with stock axle that fits the splines and sale me your setup. Pretty sure you can find the joints at a tractor supply store. Going to have to have machine work dome though regardless.

Also posted pics of the axle kit you would need to center the trans. Problem is you cannot buy them anymore. But should give you an ide what you will have to make or have made. This kit is almost like the one in mt yellow car. But mine had the tappered axles and not just straight axle. From what I gather the tapper is stronger.

Attachments:
CIMG0334.JPG
CIMG0334.JPG [ 72.32 KiB | Viewed 1817 times ]
buggy3.jpg
buggy3.jpg [ 54.49 KiB | Viewed 1817 times ]
CIMG0336.JPG
CIMG0336.JPG [ 58.17 KiB | Viewed 1817 times ]
CIMG0337.JPG
CIMG0337.JPG [ 72.87 KiB | Viewed 1817 times ]
CIMG0342.JPG
CIMG0342.JPG [ 64.93 KiB | Viewed 1817 times ]
005.jpg
005.jpg [ 63.64 KiB | Viewed 1817 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:12 pm 

bighead wrote:
my yellow car has the trans in the center. Not sure what they did but it's in the center.

As far as splines axle for this swap is rare to find. You may have to make/machine your own using tractor parts using the axle you have now that fits the trans plines.

They centered it to get more suspension travel, move the U joints inboard more and center no idea why they also didnt move the frame rails in and actually make more suspension think you can get 6-8" travel out of that car?

You driven this yellow car yet I bet it hauls with that Cammex Engine here is the guy that made them cylinders http://www.cpindinc.com

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:35 pm 

hoser wrote:
bighead wrote:

As far as splines axle for this swap is rare to find. You may have to make/machine your own using tractor parts using the axle you have now that fits the trans plines.

They centered it to get more suspension travel, move the U joints inboard more and center no idea why they also didnt move the frame rails in and actually make more suspension think you can get 6-8" travel out of that car?

You driven this yellow car yet I bet it hauls with that Cammex Engine here is the guy that made them cylinders http://www.cpindinc.com" .".." .".." ."..

Only driven the car a few times in front of my house and a field. It does go well but the works shocks need rebuilt or charged. As far as travel goes I have no clue. I got that blue car that I got those parts from you to finish next. Then I am taking all I learned and putting it into this yellow car. Here is the only vid of it running right after I got it home.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCMuwGDdJKY" .".." ."..

PO said when he took the Engine apart it did not have gaskets. Then found out that these may not used gaskets or something like that. I got scared and parked it until I can find out more and have it gone thru. I have talked to calvin from CPI. He also said this Engine should run very well.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:26 pm 

Here are some pics of the axle kit you would need to center the trans. Problem is you cannot buy them anymore. But should give you an ide what you will have to make or have made. This kit is almost like the one in mt yellow car. But mine had the tappered axles and not just straight axle. From what I gather the tapper is stronger.

Attachments:
IMG_1800.jpg
IMG_1800.jpg [ 110.87 KiB | Viewed 1792 times ]
IMG_3728.jpg
IMG_3728.jpg [ 110.6 KiB | Viewed 1792 times ]
IMG_4008.jpg
IMG_4008.jpg [ 115.56 KiB | Viewed 1792 times ]
IMG_4843.jpg
IMG_4843.jpg [ 121.03 KiB | Viewed 1792 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:42 pm 

Are any of the joints good and not welded on? If any of them are good I should buy them from you for spare parts if I break any on my yellow car. Probably never have the chance to buy them again. So is any of the joints/knuckles good? What about the axle sections? Although they look different than mine the more I look at them.

Tie rods are the flat track style. I need to other style. Can you ID what brand shocks those are?

I missed your post above that shows the parts for sale. So when talking out of post above you know why. LOL

I can tell you a challenger person out there will need those axle parts. There was a guy a few weeks agaon that busted one. I think he ended up selling his ride for he could not find the part. Here is the thread. It was not long ago maybe PM him as I will to. Cannot remember what he needed but I think you have it?

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=9597

Do you have the axle that goes thru the trans?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:16 pm 

bighead wrote:
Are any of the joints good and not welded on? If any of them are good I should buy them from you for spare parts if I break any on my yellow car. Probably never have the chance to buy them again. So is any of the joints/knuckles good? What about the axle sections? Although they look different than mine the more I look at them.

Tie rods are the flat track style. I need to other style. Can you ID what brand shocks those are?

I missed your post above that shows the parts for sale. So when talking out of post above you know why. LOL

I can tell you a challenger person out there will need those axle parts. There was a guy a few weeks agaon that busted one. I think he ended up selling his ride for he could not find the part. Here is the thread. It was not long ago maybe PM him as I will to. Cannot remember what he needed but I think you have it?

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=9597" ."..

Do you have the axle that goes thru the trans?

Axle is toast. I had to cut it on both sides because the joints were welded to it. I think maybe one of the joints may be usable. Ill try and look for markings on the shocks.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 9:16 am 

Updates?

Profile E-mail