Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 12:40 pm 

Right on Randman, I would like to add when you test your compression you want to test it holding the throttle wide open you also want to test it with the Odyssey ready to ride meaning the pipe, silencer, entire intake system installed, removing any of these will affect your compression.

Also I would pressure test the Engine before you remove the head just to see if the seals are still good I just found one the other day on Fatcats 350 the seal was leaking. Fatcat info here kind of a long read but well worth it viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9826

I always recommend to anybody that has bought anything with a 2 cycle Engine that if you don't know the entire history of the machine and its owner then you should remove the top end of the Engine for inspection, most owners just run them until they quit running then fix them, a two cycle will not warn you its about to fail it just runs perfect right up until the last second.

I have seen many FL350s where the owners ran them too long between changing the piston and the piston skirt broke then parts of the piston fell into the bottom end of the Engine and punched a hole in the crank cases.

Here is a example of a Pilot Engine that was run way too long between inspections and the piston cracked. viewtopic.php?f=25&t=7049

Other things should be checked on the 350 Engine are if extra lube holes were drilled in the exhaust side of the piston to cool and lubricate the exhaust bridge and if the exhaust bridge was relieved. An example of not drilling the lube holes here viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9874

Lots more to say here this will get you started.

Questions please ask.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 1:47 pm 

Well I went to take the plug out and it was damn tight.. really tight... thing snapped off so I couldnt get the reading on it.

Here is a pic of the plug... Im going out after work to get one and Ill see if the comp test works.

Basically... start the motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? ))... let it reach a good temp... shut off... remove plug... put in compression gauge... use starter to crank holding throttle wide open... and I should see my value pop up?

Thanks!

Attachments:
plug.jpg
plug.jpg [ 21.89 KiB | Viewed 361 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 4:50 pm 

Odessey9 wrote:
Well I went to take the plug out and it was damn tight.. really tight... thing snapped off so I couldnt get the reading on it.

Here is a pic of the plug... Im going out after work to get one and Ill see if the comp test works.

Basically... start the motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) ((Internal Combustion Engine?))... let it reach a good temp... shut off... remove plug... put in compression gauge... use starter to crank holding throttle wide open... and I should see my value pop up?

Thanks!

Yeah you have it, watch the needle and when it quits climbing or building pressure you can stop cranking.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 12:52 am 

I had the test done... It was 125psi, I'm going to try again tomorrow cold, it's wasn't hot hot... I can't ride it as it's in my shop, how long should I let it run for? 10min?

Delema I have is that I don't want to open up the motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) yet! I was hoping to make through summer maybe ride it for 10hrs I'll be away for two months, then winter time I'll redo it all!

I'm getting the updated head, how much of a bump in compression do you get with the layer gasket removal to one? Im in Toronto and curious to also know what psi / altitude should I been in?

I haven't look into the reeds yet, once removed I need the new gaskets right to reinstall?

Anything else I should look at might effect? Exhaust leak? Not that I see. I'm thinking of cleaning out the old gasket with new.. I'll take some pics of it's current state.

I haven't checked the idle setting, I'll dial as per spec.

Also re suspension; any one have a measurement of the rear camber link? Center to center for a good rear camber setup? I have to align somewhat, same goes for the tie rods, I ordered the alum. and don't have a toe adjuster tool would anyone have a measurement center to center for a good steering turning performance or can someone measure what they have?

Till my next set of ? , Thank you guys :)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 6:23 pm 

I got around to removing the wheels, bearings are all toast, thinking of a new exhaust old one is just rusted...

Removed the cylinder head and here are the pictures.

Are the rings gone? piston around didnt show anything moving and looking through exhaust, only the top is burnt

Also picture of a wire not connected? whats this for?
Lower intake boot had gas in and around that area...?

Measured bore with my vernier its almost 3.215 - 3.225 if so damn them cause I don't have much piston choice left, but I'll buy a feeler gauge to be more precise.

Now... What do I have to do? I was hoping to enjoy this for a month cause Im leaving for the summer till aug.

Cheers,

Attachments:
cylinder.jpg
cylinder.jpg [ 48.72 KiB | Viewed 334 times ]
cylinder2.jpg
cylinder2.jpg [ 27.35 KiB | Viewed 334 times ]
cylinder3.jpg
cylinder3.jpg [ 37 KiB | Viewed 334 times ]
cylinderhead.jpg
cylinderhead.jpg [ 77.92 KiB | Viewed 334 times ]
exhaustport.jpg
exhaustport.jpg [ 33.48 KiB | Viewed 334 times ]
lowerintakeboot.jpg
lowerintakeboot.jpg [ 30.1 KiB | Viewed 334 times ]
wiregreen.jpg
wiregreen.jpg [ 37.05 KiB | Viewed 334 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 6:38 pm 

Interesting see how the second ring is sticking out of the groove in the piston but the top ring is not or is this a optical illusion?

If its not a optical illusion why is the lower ring sticking out so far and the top ring is not?

Does the exhaust bridge have that much more clearance where the bottom ring is currently parked than where the top ring is currently parked?

Better pictures of the Engine internals are needed taken in better lighting and not over cropped.

Attachments:
exhaustport.jpg
exhaustport.jpg [ 33.12 KiB | Viewed 332 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 6:57 pm 

Here is another pic... Im a newbie so... be nice... lol

im not sure the top doesnt have that ring... bottom one has that red burnt around... put my finger nail in there and its definetly a groove.

Is this easy to fix? re new piston, rings etc?

Attachments:
exhaustport2.jpg
exhaustport2.jpg [ 55.75 KiB | Viewed 330 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 10:38 am 

The pics of the piston thru the ex port tells a great stroy fo the piston life inside the cylinder. Good shot.Look close right to left above and below each ring on each side and compare. I bet "H" will get his arrow machine out and mark it up as it's a good depication of life. It also shows why being a little rich is good and why to rich ( carbon Build up and low grade of oil) is bad. Not to mention why gaskets are cheap to keep a desent top end good. Your taking a good approach on your new ride, good for you.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 11:12 am 

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10100

that's my Engine Thread, I took it all apart... Ill have the measurements of bore and piston soon.

Thanks!

Profile E-mail