Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:14 pm 

Hi all. I just spent over an hour looking for a good odyssey "community" to join. I read a lot of good treads on here that made my decision easy. The story is simple. I've always wanted to drive one (pilot). I've never actually put my fingers on one but I may have the chance to own one now. A guy close to me is selling a rolling chassis FL-350 (frame,tires, seat suspension,maybe a motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) (condition unknown) ). Anyways, I have in my mind that these machines are semi rare. Probably not hard to find if you have the coin (i don't). Anyways the ad reads he has spare motors and tons of odyssey parts. Big question is what is something in this condition worth (Rolling chassis). I'm going into this with the attitude that motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) needs rebuilt, suspension needs updated, etc. Like a restoration but without paint for now.

Some other concerns never having ridden one is how reliable are they on the trail. I'm in Ohio so I have more water, mud and snow climate than sand. Is this a good trail rig or do they really shine in the sand only? I know they are belt driven so i don't know if that's a sealed system or just "guarded" like a snowmobile.

Any input or advice would be appreciated. I know i'll get the "these are fun as hell machines" but i'm looking for the technical insight on the machine. Thanks

Attachments:
odyssey.jpg
odyssey.jpg [ 58.29 KiB | Viewed 468 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:41 pm 

You found the right site we have a bunch of FL350 gurus that will help you out they have seen or worked through about every problem you could ever have with a 350, they will be along shortly to reply I am sure.

I cant help you on the price but looking at the one pic I don't see a lot of value their with the 4 fenders missing.

A complete Engine rebuild could cost as much as 800-1000 bux just rebuilding the top end will cost you 200-300 bux a Engine swap by time your done wont be much cheaper all the little stuff adds up quick.

The drive system is just like most snowmobiles and is just guarded not sealed like modern quads and side by sides that use a CVT drive system so you will want to avoid water and mud.

Climb up on the back of the ODY and jump up and down on the rear part of the frame see if them rear shocks do anything?

More detail pics would help others give you an idea on price and value.

Try using the brakes front and back see if they work you can spend days going through a brake system on a 350 getting it back into proper working order.

Sometimes a guy is better of to buy a running machine he can test drive but projects are fun also if you have the time.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:10 pm 

Can't really help you on other pics seeing how I haven't seen it yet in person. The fenders are throwing me off as well. His ad states he as 4 250's and this 350 and a boat load of parts however I'm not sure what parts. I was wanting to keep the original Engine and not do a swap and re-engineer the entire Engine bay. I would think with propper clutching, piping, jetting, and rebuilding a top end, I could get a good performer when it was all done. That bums me out hearing about the belt guard. Has anyone made a remedy for this, aftermarket or otherwise?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:00 am 

Hi, Im in the suburbs of Chicago , the 350 is very reliable and very resilient. The pilot is a much nicer ride and has body panels I recommend fender to keep the driver from getting too much mud on yourself and it looks better. The open drive system on a 350 is just that,open. I have only had issues when a belt gets worn then lose performance. Shock upgrades are a MUST on a 350, other mods that help with performance are dual intake, aftermarket exhaust and a water cooled head. I paid $1300 for my 350 which needed Engine reassembly(was bored) just sat for many years also my entire machine was disassembled. Check the frame closely for breaks or bends, brakes can be tricky to get right but once there good...there good! Everything else is simple to work on. IMO there a blast in the mud and on the trails or even in the sand(I've never been in the dunes yet:(...) this forum has helped me MANY times to help repair my 350. Good luck and hopefully some of us can help you if and when you join the odyssey world...!?

Randy

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 9:49 pm 

Hello. Welcome. In my opinion that machine would make a decent parts machine. I see a lot of parts missing, seatbelts, gas tank, CDI (Capacitor Discharge Ignition)( $100), airbox and boot, roof panel, muffler, if you plan on installing fenders you will need the brackets and it looks as most are missing. If the machine has been left out in the weather the axle's u-joints could have taken on water and rusted up. Unless he has all these missing parts, I would wait for a machine that is more complete. A more complete machine will STILL have parts you will need to purchase unless you spend 2500 to 3500 for more "turnkey" machine. They are rare and you might not want to wait, if so, offer $300 and go for it!! Good luck and enjoy the build!

Profile E-mail