Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:02 pm 

Hey Guys,

Hello and thanks for all the great information. I've spent days reading up.

I have two FL400s. An 1989 and 1990. Bought both used in 1994 and 1995. My wife and I had many exciting adventures from sand dunes in Glamis, California to Florence, Oregon...and all parts in between.

Then it all came to an end...first child June 2003. I did make one last solo run to Sand Mountain on Memorial Day weekend 2005...just before the second child was born, June 2005.

Fast forward to today...my 10 year old boy is so ready to go. Good news, the Pilots were stored inside. But, not much thought was put into the storage. They've been sitting for 9 years....and I'm afraid to start them up without making sure I won't damage something that won't be easy to fix.

So, with that said...your all going to be seeing lots of questions from me in the near future. Hopefully we can ride together someday?

Thanks,

Tom T

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:30 pm 

Ground control to Agent Tom....haha

I am just on the other side of the hill from you in Carson City and there are a couple members with pilots in your area! The next time you come this way let me know and I'll knock the dust of the FL350's and head to Sand Mountain maybe.

If not much thought was put into the storage of you Fl400's may I suggest that you.....

1.) Change all of the fluids such as ballancer oil
2.) Transmission oil
3.) Drain the old gas in the tank (I would give it a flush also).
4.) Remove, clean and re-oil your air filter
5.) Check battery condition, it may be dead already.
6.) Tire pressure.

Rand

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:58 pm 

Welcome to the site , in addition to whats been suggested I would pull the carbs take apart and clean, remove and flush the fuel filter behind the seat, drain the coolant system and refill with new GREEN anti freeze mixed 50/50 with distilled water.

Smell inside the gas tank does it smell like bad gas, varnish, look with a flash light see anything in the bottom of the tank.

It would not hurt to bleed the brakes when you get a chance so the system has fresh new fluid.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:11 pm 

Thanks for the quick reply

I flushed the brakes last weekend. Will start on the fluids this weekend. Do you think the head should come off so I can check the cylinder for signs rust or indication I need look deeper?

As I recall, the pistons were replaced on both just before I parked them. Maybe 20 on them.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:36 pm 

Agent T wrote:
Thanks for the quick reply

I flushed the brakes last weekend. Will start on the fluids this weekend. Do you think the head should come off so I can check the cylinder for signs rust or indication I need look deeper?

As I recall, the pistons were replaced on both just before I parked them. Maybe 20 on them.

That would not hurt to look it will just cost you a head gasket.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:03 pm 

I would also pull the spark plug, put a little premix down the hole, replace the spark plug but leave the wire off, with some fresh premix in your cleaned up carbs, choke on, crank it over for a bit to get everything lubed up inside. put the plug wire back on and go for ignition, it should be nice and flooded, you may have to hold the throttle wide open until the mixture is right for firing, make sure it is out of gear first or maybe even pull the belt. it probable needs a new one anyhow.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:39 am 

Randman wrote:

I am just on the other side of the hill from you in Carson City and there are a couple members with pilots in your area! The next time you come this way let me know and I'll knock the dust of the FL350's and head to Sand Mountain maybe.

If not much thought was put into the storage of you Fl400's may I suggest that you.....

2.) Transmission oil
6.) Tire pressure.

Rand

LMFAO! Randman if that batterys not dead I want to know what brand it is!! That be one hell of a battery!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:58 am 

I have the battery that wont die in my 2003 Dodge Ram....it's the factory battery from 2003!

The battery in my 2005 TRX350EEX is also the factory battery.

Rand

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:09 am 

Randman wrote:
I have the battery that wont die in my 2003 Dodge Ram....it's the factory battery from 2003!

Rand

Holy crap! sounds like youve got some bad ass batterys! Do you keep the trx350 hooked up to trickle charger? I couldnt imagine that pilot battery still being good after sitting in storage for 10 years but youve convinced me its possible :-)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:31 am 

Nope, no trickle charger, it just gets ridden seasonally.

More than likely I'll have to replace it this season. We'll see when I get it out of storage here in the near future.

Rand

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:55 pm 

Randman wrote:

Rand

My 03 Dodge 1ton still has the batteries from day 1 also. :-)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:12 pm 

rarerat wrote:
Randman wrote:

Rand

My 03 Dodge 1ton still has the batteries from day 1 also. :-)

Well apparently 2003 was a damn good year for dodge battery's!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:58 pm 

redskinman wrote:
Randman wrote:

2.) Transmission oil
6.) Tire pressure.

Rand

LMFAO! Randman if that batterys not dead I want to know what brand it is!! That be one hell of a battery!

HaHa, I have a spotlight in my backyard that has been burning continously since 1999!!

Profile E-mail