Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: bugdust...in Florida
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:30 pm 

I recently bought three FL350s. It has not been a good experience so far. I always wanted one so I bought on and it has issues. I bought a second one with even more issues and the third one is just a parts bike. I will post pics this weekend. Right now I have three non-running piles...lol

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: bugdust...in Florida
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:04 am 

Just let us know what the issues are and we can walk you through fixing them.

Rand

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:39 pm 

Randman wrote:
Just let us know what the issues are and we can walk you through fixing them.

Rand

Biggest issues right now are time and money...lol

Bike #1 (pink & white(: runs decent now...has a DG pipe, Works shocks, nerf bars. It has had the stock front fender mounts hacked off, missing the OG seat and has been modified a lot over the years. The previous owner spray-bombed it pink and white and really neglected it. I bought it in Tennessee. It tops out about 44 mph although the PO said he had it to 70. How fast should it go? My buddy adjusted the carb, ran all new fuel lines back to stock configuration and now it runs decent. I am working on spray-bombimg some red on it just to make it look better for now. I also replaced the plastic dune-buggy bucket seat with a RZR seat but I still have to mount it. Next steps: get it running better/ faster, have the shocks recharged, paint it, fab new skid plates & side panels.

Bike #2 (red): saw on craigslist in NC (I'm in Florida). The guy sent me pics, told me that the only issue was the starter mount was broken. I didn't realize that was part of the Engine case. I drove up north of Raleigh, looked at it briefly in 28° weather plus wind (I'm from Florida...that's freakin cold...lol). My son drove it around th guy's yard real quick and we loaded it on the trailer and left. I didn't realize the starter issue was a big issue until I got home. Anyway, I robbed a couple parts off this one to get the first one running better. I have the stuff to get it running now. I may disassemble the Engine and have one of my employees tig weld the starter mount. The starter button doesn't work (stuck, won't push), the frame is dinged, seat is ripped, lights don't work, etc) I may just get it running and ride it if I can get it to pull start easier. It tops out around 20 mph but I haven't messed with it yet to see why.

Bike #3 (crusty red): picked this up from a buddy of #2 owner on the same trip to NC but in Charlotte. I was told it had a water-cooled head and just needed a little work. I met the guy at a truck stop and was very disappointed. I should have left it but I paid him and loaded it on the trailer. It is missing the right rear hub, stock tank, tires are junk, Engine is probably junk, carb is corroded, everything is rusty, etc. But, it is a good frame and I may blow it apart and try to build it after I get the other two going.

I paid too much for all three so now I'm stuck with them. The plan is to get them running and enjoy them. I would love to build a 4-stroke, A-arm bad ass Odyssey but I'm not that guy.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:54 pm 

Bike #1 This one I bought in TN but it has a CA reg sticker on the steering column. I think it was raced at some point

Bike #2 Pull start only due to broken starter mount

Bike #3 Parts or maybe build someday

Current pic

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:10 am 

Biggest issues right now are time and money...lol
[/quote]

Well unfortunately that's exactly what you will need.
I just get the feeling you are going to cook a few engines.
The FL350 has issues. I wouldn't even consider starting one until I have checked a few things.

Here is my list of things to check on an oddy when you are doing an Engine job or just purchased one.
1) Fuel - your fuel pump must put out about 4.5 oz/ten seconds approx and your fuel must meet at least the minimum octane rating in manual. I run straight avgas or you can mix it 50/50 with pump fuel.
2) Do the vent modification - use the search box above or check out the thread at the bottom of this list.
3) Check your stock intake manifold - they're 30yrs old and crack just looking at them.
4) Check your reeds, they must seal or you could get low compression reading on your gauge. Make sure your gauge is accurate.
5) Engine must pass pressure and vacuum test - if it doesn't don't even start it, find the leak. I use 10psi max pressure and 10in vacuum in my tests and it must hold for half hour minimum.
6) Rebuild the starter, it is a big job after the Engine is in.
7) Gas tank - if it's rusty inside get it cleaned and coated at a rad shop. If you look inside with a flashlight and it looks like the pickup tubes are rusted I would tap the tank drain plug and draw fuel from there. Both my machines are like that now.
8) Original fuel and pump vacuum lines are junk now after 30yrs so replace them.
9) Remove the drive shafts and make sure the u joints are good.
10) Check the wheel bearings.
11) Over fill the transmission -- put two quarts of oil in it. It's a splash lube system and the driven shaft bearing don't get any lube unless you are driving so don't rev it in the driveway all day long.
12) Adjust your brakes - I set them (F & R) so I can feel a bit of drag.
13) If doing an Engine rebuild do NOT use the paper base gasket as it blows out. Must use the metal one.
14) Lots of good info here: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=15392&start=25

Like I said just a few things to check.
This site has a tremendous amount of info. Use the search box and only type in one word. Then when you get the list type another "one" word in to narrow it down.
We were all in your shoes at one time.
By the way welcome.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:35 am 

With regards to top speed read this:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=14889&hilit=speed+oddy

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:39 am 

Thanks for the info.

If there is anyone that rebuilds engines with the mods let me know.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:16 pm 

I lost my job this week. I have two VW projects. I have a 32' camper, a 20' pontoon boat, atv's and kids playing baseball. I really don't have time for these and I can use the money. These will be for sale now.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:35 pm 

Being a VW guy myself, just curious, what are your VW projects?

Rand

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:19 pm 

Right now I have a 67 bug, a 67 westy, a 67 parts bug and a 63 parts bug.

I have owned about 60 VWs since 1986

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:38 am 

Currently my daily driver is a 66 Euro Type 1 and I have the VW powered sand rail I just picked up.

I have had.....
a 64 Type 1,
74 Type 2,
64 Type 3 Notchback,
64 Type 1 Concept One fiberglass buggy
72 Baja bug
and....2 Cabriolet water suckers.

No where near the collection you have had! :-)

I know it's blasphemy but you could sell your Westy to get some cash. I can't believe what they are getting for them these days!

Rand

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 11:59 pm 

I would have to be starving before I would sell my westy...lol. Currently, I have it, a 67 bug, a 67 parts bug, a 64 parts bug, some parts, toys and magazines. I also have a 20' pontoon boat, a 32' travel trailer and a building full of atvs...and a Jeep and various firearms. All of those would get sold before my bus....unless someone just offered me really stupid money for it.

Current pics of my junk

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 10:37 am 

Is that the splitty Westy I spy under the tarp?

Rand

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 12:52 pm 

Randman wrote:
Is that the splitty Westy I spy under the tarp?

Rand

And a 'stanced" bug! LOL!

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 1:12 pm 

Loosely leaning the tires at an angle on a propped up bug does not constitute a stanced bug.... lol. :-)

With that kind of rear camber that bad boy would be a pan scraper!

By the looks of the big windows, rear apron and the oval shaped lights on the fenders I'm guessing it's your 67 parts bug.

Rand

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 5:23 pm 

Yes, my shop is only 20x20 so the bus got pushed out a couple weeks ago so I can work on the 67 bug. It won't be outside much longer. The patina bug is the 67 parts bug. The wheels are just leaning against it so it doesn't look "as bad" LOL

I have been riding Oddy #1 quite a bit. I need to stop and fix a few things but it's running decent and so much fun. It sucks on trails and not as fast as my built 400ex but it's a different kind of fun.

I would trade all three for a NICE Oddy or Pilot.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 5:48 pm 

It's funny you say that because I traded a highly modified 2005 TRX400EX for my Ody. I sold it to buy my sand rail but I still have the wife's FL350.

Rand

Profile E-mail