Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:42 pm 

I've wanted an FL400 Pilot ever since they came with stone wheels and Flintstones brakes (I guess this where they get the "FL" from, because the drum brakes are akin to putting your feet onto the ground in an attempt to stop). Well, now I have one, and boy, my feet worn out...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:07 pm 

Welcome. Post a picture or two and tell use about your pilot.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:24 am 

You cant beat the front brakes on a 350 or Pilot (both the same) when adjusted properly http://www.pilotodyssey.com/brakes-front.htm

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:43 pm 

hoser wrote:
You cant beat the front brakes on a 350 or Pilot (both the same) when adjusted properly http://www.pilotodyssey.com/brakes-front.htm

Viola! Fixed the front brakes. The guy I bought it from washed it down real good and the brakes were just wet when I test drove it.
Thanks Hoser!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:01 pm 

Some pix of the new toy.
I'm replacing all the CV boots and inspecting some other areas of concern. Otherwise it has an aftermarket pipe (cracks have been welded) a missing parking brake actuator screw, the choke cable needs to be adapted to the Keihin flat slide carb. The stock lights are going back on. Otherwise not in bad shape.
Forgive me, for doing this, but I have a Rotax 800cc power valve Engine from a Skidoo that's eventually going into the Pilot. I know the 670cc conversion is popular and the videos I've seen are just what the doctor ordered. There's a video of a bloke that stuffed a rotax 800 into his pilot and the performance is insane.
Okay, with 120 horsepower, what's gonna break first? The tranny, a CV joint or my neck?

Attachments:
20161016_133009.jpg
20161016_133009.jpg [ 67.23 KiB | Viewed 3860 times ]
20161016_132953.jpg
20161016_132953.jpg [ 68.99 KiB | Viewed 3860 times ]
20160808_201739.jpg
20160808_201739.jpg [ 70.84 KiB | Viewed 3860 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:13 pm 

CVs are stout, transmission has a slipper clutch and does a great job in protection.
I have burnt up a slipper with larger tires and asphalt launches though.
Build it... You won't look back, just make sure you remember that cage is 25+ years old.
Welcome aboard.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:33 pm 

go oddy wrote:
CVs are stout, transmission has a slipper clutch and does a great job in protection.
I have burnt up a slipper with larger tires and asphalt launches though.
Build it... You won't look back, just make sure you remember that cage is 25+ years old.
Welcome aboard.

Thanks for the greets Go Daddy!
So, what's the concern with the cage? Are there cracking issues at high stress points?
Unfortunately, I may have to mod the frame to get the Rotax to fit, but if I can make an outrigger bearing support for the Skidoo driven pulley that mounts back to the transmission, then I can move the driven pulley out about 3 inches which will allow the rotax to fit without modifying the frame on the right side. I have access to CNC machines. Looks good on paper...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:03 am 

Welcome new guy.
I don't own any pilots but I believe an issue with the big Engine conversions is frame cracking. But I might be wrong. Anyways here is a little something to keep in the back of your mind viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15887&hilit=crsah

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:05 am 

Another one viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16961&hilit=crash+big+another

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:12 am 

canadian oddy wrote:
Welcome new guy.
I don't own any pilots but I believe an issue with the big Engine conversions is frame cracking. But I might be wrong. Anyways here is a little something to keep in the back of your mind viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15887&hilit=crsah

Holy Crap Canadian Oddy! That was a horrific crash! Glad you're okay. How's the back these days? Those MRI images are scary as hell! Did you eventually have the vertebrae fused? Thanks for the share.
I hear everything you are saying, been yanked outta the weeds on a helo myself a few years back, busted tibia & fibula along with other ruptured/torn this and that. But I was on a quad at the time. Ironically I was climbing a hill to assist someone that was in trouble. I still ride a quad, a Raptor 880 with about 72 horsepower, BUT, its time to put my afflicted arse in a cage I guess, a FL400 Pilot cage that is, and sell off the Raptor to another afflicted soul.
Anyways, my second childhood seems to be getting the better of me, and I share a condition with many called 'hypervelocitosis' the need for speed disease. I know of no acceptable cure, and the doctors just shake their low hung heads. However, I will be more careful, and know that sitting low to the ground has it's certain visual disadvantages. My intentions were to hold off on the Engine swap until I get used to the Pilot. Out here where I live the closest place to ride is El Mirage Dry Lake, and there are a ton of trails, but they are quite tame, Hungry Valley OHV is the next furthest out, and is wonderland of trails creeks & canyons.
Hey, thanks for the greets!
-LP

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:51 pm 

Liquid_People wrote:
canadian oddy wrote:
Welcome new guy.

Holy Crap Canadian Oddy! That was a horrific crash! Glad you're okay. How's the back these days? Those MRI images are scary as hell! Did you eventually have the vertebrae fused? Thanks for the share.
I hear everything you are saying, been yanked outta the weeds on a helo myself a few years back, busted tibia & fibula along with other ruptured/torn this and that. But I was on a quad at the time. Ironically I was climbing a hill to assist someone that was in trouble. I still ride a quad, a Raptor 880 with about 72 horsepower, BUT, its time to put my afflicted arse in a cage I guess, a FL400 Pilot cage that is, and sell off the Raptor to another afflicted soul.
Anyways, my second childhood seems to be getting the better of me, and I share a condition with many called 'hypervelocitosis' the need for speed disease. I know of no acceptable cure, and the doctors just shake their low hung heads. However, I will be more careful, and know that sitting low to the ground has it's certain visual disadvantages. My intentions were to hold off on the Engine swap until I get used to the Pilot. Out here where I live the closest place to ride is El Mirage Dry Lake, and there are a ton of trails, but they are quite tame, Hungry Valley OHV is the next furthest out, and is wonderland of trails creeks & canyons.
Hey, thanks for the greets!
-LP

Well since you have been helo out before I can safely say that you know. My back is perfect. No pain, motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) or sensory issues. They just left it alone -- no surgeries needed. I got lucky. There are several members here who are in wheel chairs because they didn't get lucky in their life. It's a crap shoot. Would also like to add that just because you have a cage, that don't mean shyt. I have welded on my FL350 cages and you will find that the tube is very very thin. I do have a post on it here somewhere. The tubes are about 1/16 and not chrome molly. The cages are strong the way they are made but not crush proof. Also want to add that I also have the speed disease.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16740&hilit=race+car

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:30 pm 

"My intentions were to hold off on the Engine swap until I get used to the Pilot"

I don't have a pilot but have spent a lot of time in them.

I would definitely recommend this plan.

That Engine will easily get you in trouble with the stock suspension if you REALLY like to drive it. If you are going to put around and hit the gas once in a while on the straights you'll be fine.

Personally, I think the Engine has enough power to have fun. The suspension has tons of room for improvement which will make the overall package much more fun. (and less risk of killing you)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:50 am 

bullnerd wrote:
"My intentions were to hold off on the Engine swap until I get used to the Pilot"

I don't have a pilot but have spent a lot of time in them.

I would definitely recommend this plan.

That Engine will easily get you in trouble with the stock suspension if you REALLY like to drive it. If you are going to put around and hit the gas once in a while on the straights you'll be fine.

Personally, I think the Engine has enough power to have fun. The suspension has tons of room for improvement which will make the overall package much more fun. (and less risk of killing you)

That's just what I intend to do with the big HP. I'm not a wild man anymore, so big air and unnecessary risks are on the sidelines. Easier said than done...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:24 pm 

I second the idea to do the suspension at the same time, stock pilot lacks good suspension.
there are some long travel suspension threads to look at, be sure to do your homework if you sub the work out many have had bad experiences with a local SoCal builder but it seems his ideas are sound.
See you in the dunes?
I'll be at Glamis next weekend, camping in wash 4.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:41 pm 

Kuma wrote:
I second the idea to do the suspension at the same time, stock pilot lacks good suspension.
there are some long travel suspension threads to look at, be sure to do your homework if you sub the work out many have had bad experiences with a local SoCal builder but it seems his ideas are sound.
See you in the dunes?
I'll be at Glamis next weekend, camping in wash 4.

Long travel is great, but then the Pilot wont fit into the bed of my truck. At least for now that's the way it needs to be. If I get another for my son, then I'll get a toy hauler trailer and the the mods from hell gates will open.

Profile E-mail