Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hello PO
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:38 pm 

Well I've searched through this site for a few years when looking for odyssey info. Grew up having an FL250 around at a very young age then my brother had one in the early 90s that we rode a lot. I rebuilt a couple of FL250s in the late 90s, drove the heck out of one then got away from Odysseys for a while. I always had hopes of customizing one up, I had an XR600 standing by for the Engine until someone broke into my last homes garage and stole it....
Last year I found a FL350 for sale in Nevada and bought it - great shape, all original. The more I look at it though I didn't want to cut it up since the condition was so nice. I looked at another in Penryn about 6m ago but it was such a hack Job and I wasn't willing to pay the amount requested (it had the a arm suspension but whomever installed it got the tabs wrong and one wheel was permanently canted...). Couple of weeks ago I found another.... this time it has some upgrades including banshee front suspension so now I have my project.
My plans - cut the yellow beast and extend it 6-8 inches. I'm too tall for the original (6'4") so I want some leg room. This unit has a steering mod but I'm looking to go rack and pinion (still searching the forums for the best option, there are many rhino and other vehicle parts out just looking for best fit). Will install a remote kill on the red fl350 just to have the ability when my kids are driving (had a few FL250s run away on us over the years...). Looking for some front fenders for ole red, hate to spend $400 on plastic from Maier but we'all just have to see... I'm a marine engineer and hobby machinist, have a lot of tools and equipment for metal working and enjoy reviving old equipment back to life.

Anyways glad to have this website there is a lot of great information gathered!

Attachments:
IMG_1851.JPG
IMG_1851.JPG [ 89.5 KiB | Viewed 2441 times ]
IMG_1854.JPG
IMG_1854.JPG [ 71.8 KiB | Viewed 2441 times ]
IMG_1855.JPG
IMG_1855.JPG [ 73.11 KiB | Viewed 2441 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Hello PO
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:17 pm 

Tws869 wrote:
Well I've searched through this site for a few years when looking for odyssey info. Grew up having an FL250 around at a very young age then my brother had one in the early 90s that we rode a lot. I rebuilt a couple of FL250s in the late 90s, drove the heck out of one then got away from Odysseys for a while. I always had hopes of customizing one up, I had an XR600 standing by for the Engine until someone broke into my last homes garage and stole it....
Last year I found a FL350 for sale in Nevada and bought it - great shape, all original. The more I look at it though I didn't want to cut it up since the condition was so nice. I looked at another in Penryn about 6m ago but it was such a hack Job and I wasn't willing to pay the amount requested (it had the a arm suspension but whomever installed it got the tabs wrong and one wheel was permanently canted...). Couple of weeks ago I found another.... this time it has some upgrades including banshee front suspension so now I have my project.
My plans - cut the yellow beast and extend it 6-8 inches. I'm too tall for the original (6'4") so I want some leg room. This unit has a steering mod but I'm looking to go rack and pinion (still searching the forums for the best option, there are many rhino and other vehicle parts out just looking for best fit). Will install a remote kill on the red fl350 just to have the ability when my kids are driving (had a few FL250s run away on us over the years...). Looking for some front fenders for ole red, hate to spend $400 on plastic from Maier but we'all just have to see... I'm a marine engineer and hobby machinist, have a lot of tools and equipment for metal working and enjoy reviving old equipment back to life.

Anyways glad to have this website there is a lot of great information gathered!

Welcome new guy.
Looking for front fenders for ole red, hate to spend $400 --------- well I think you are going to be out of luck on that. My brother and I don't run fenders anymore because they get torn up in crashes and cost a bundle to fix or replace. If you put skirting on the machine you don't need fenders at all.
Couple of things I don't like on the yellow machine. 1) The exhaust and air intake sticking out of the frame just makes them a target in a roll over (easy to do actually). 2) Has stock rear shocks. One of the weak points on the oddy is there is no suspension because the rear springs are WAY to stiff. Honda got it all wrong. We run 155lb springs and stock shocks and the suspension is good. 3) That bar welded between the two down tubes is going to be right in your line of sight and in your face.
One thing I do like is that bar welded from the rear main roll bar to the rear down tube (one on each side). This is where the roll bar could bend in a heavy crash. That's where mine bent in my big crash.
When you start cutting you are going to see that the chassis tubing is real thin 1/16" tube. I hope you can weld good. Use inside sleeves to join tube. The Engine is still air cooled. I am not a fan of that. Engine behind seat -- think about that for a moment.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Hello PO
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:49 pm 

Thanks for the feedback - I will certainly look at water cooling and replacing the shock springs. Probably need to do the springs asap. The intake & exhaust protrusion are simple to fix, not sure if they were going for a dune buggy stinger look or what.

Profile E-mail