Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:24 pm 

Hey everyone, checking in to do a quick intro.
I live about an hour north of Seattle and I have a 9yr old son, him and I do a lot of Jeeping together and really enjoy it but we have been looking for something else fun but I just can't seem to get into the whole RZR/side x side thing so I was looking into maybe building something until I started talking with one of our Jeep club members and he commented that he had been thinking of selling his Odyssey's because they just don't ride them anymore and they are taking up to much shop space.

So........we worked out a deal for almost everything he has, which includes:
3- FL350's and 1- FL250
2 of the 350's are in good shape and run great and the 3rd is just needing reassembly, he couldn't quite remember but it might be missing a couple small items.
all extra wheels and tires included, I didn't count but it looked like at least a couple dozen plus all spare parts.
The 250 has a 550cc 4stroke arctic cat sled Engine, it is kind of a project him and his son started a few years back, they had it running/driving but never really finished it, I'm not really sure what I'll do with it but I'll definitely come up with something fun.

I won't be able to pick them up for a few weeks, when I do I’m sure I’ll have questions

anyway here are a couple pics I took yesterday

my son making sure he fits
Attachment:
fl350.jpeg
fl350.jpeg [ 138.59 KiB | Viewed 2947 times ]

Attachment:
fl250.jpeg
fl250.jpeg [ 131.94 KiB | Viewed 2947 times ]

Attachment:
fl250 arctic cat.jpeg
fl250 arctic cat.jpeg [ 91.9 KiB | Viewed 2947 times ]

heres our other toys
Attachment:
file-1.jpeg
file-1.jpeg [ 69.34 KiB | Viewed 2947 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_0861.JPG
IMG_0861.JPG [ 18.01 KiB | Viewed 2947 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_1137.JPG
IMG_1137.JPG [ 120.96 KiB | Viewed 2947 times ]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:40 pm 

Welcome to the nuthouse! Sounds like you got a good deal worth of Odys there. I'm not sure where you can start on the FL250 but looks like a cool project. On the FL350R units my only suggestion at this point would be to re-build the carburetors with a good cleaning on all running units. These air-cooled Ody's like to blow their tops when fueling has issues. They over-heat easy when fueling runs lean. I won't go into too many details but; also please check the fuel pumps - they need to be able to PUMP 10oz of fuel in several seconds at Engine cranking in order to supply the burst ammount of fuel needed under a long wide open throttle again to avoid lean running condition. Also a good idea would be to run a compression check on the Engine, and also run a vacuum/pressure test to be sure the crank seals aren't leaky (Which also leads to death of a 2-stroke).

I'm sure your son has been in the dirt already with dirt bikes and ATVs so I'll keep it brief. A good running FL350 can run 65mph which is quite a handful for an adult at times. He might even go 70mph being a little guy so plan accordingly. I'd consider these machines for adults only but ymmv.

Enjoy the site! Start with the tech sections and ask questions. Love the jeep. I own a 4.2l YJ.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:00 pm 

ZeroClient wrote:
Welcome to the nuthouse! Sounds like you got a good deal worth of Odys there. I'm not sure where you can start on the FL250 but looks like a cool project. On the FL350R units my only suggestion at this point would be to re-build the carburetors with a good cleaning on all running units. These air-cooled Ody's like to blow their tops when fueling has issues. They over-heat easy when fueling runs lean. I won't go into too many details but; also please check the fuel pumps - they need to be able to PUMP 10oz of fuel in several seconds at Engine cranking in order to supply the burst ammount of fuel needed under a long wide open throttle again to avoid lean running condition. Also a good idea would be to run a compression check on the Engine, and also run a vacuum/pressure test to be sure the crank seals aren't leaky (Which also leads to death of a 2-stroke).

I'm sure your son has been in the dirt already with dirt bikes and ATVs so I'll keep it brief. A good running FL350 can run 65mph which is quite a handful for an adult at times. He might even go 70mph being a little guy so plan accordingly. I'd consider these machines for adults only but ymmv.

Enjoy the site! Start with the tech sections and ask questions. Love the jeep. I own a 4.2l YJ.

Thanks ZeroClient, I really appreciate the advice,
I'm actually new to ATV's with the exception of occasionally riding friends dirt bikes a little bit 30+ years ago and with these being 2 strokes I have been a little concerned/wondering how they will like running trails on my property (heat wise), not much opportunity to run WOT (Wide Open Throttle) or at any considerable speed to help getting some air flow, I do like the thought of running the water cooled heads though. Maybe in the next week or so I'll start a thread helping me dial these in before our first ride, in the meantime I will be doing plenty of reading.

Rick

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:53 am 

Welcome to the fun!!!! Your kids are probably having restless nights until you get those toys home! Great family fun. All the info you'll need is here

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:39 am 

I wouldn't worry too much about the heat of your day/trails and going slow vs fast. Actually going slow will tend to not stress the engines as much. What kills these engines moreso are intake leaks and leaking crank seals, dirty carbs, and lack of fuel-flow, and lastly jetting - all can cause a lean burning condition - which can melt a piston. The cure is fixing fueling issues. While water-cooled heads are very nice they are not the cure. Otherwise Honda did make these machines with a decent degree of reliability.

If I were to suggest - get as much information you can from the previous owner on tank/pump/carb/Engine servicing so as you know where to start.

Make sure the rubber intakes between the Engine and carb are not cracked. If they are, add to the list of replacement needs.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:14 pm 

Duneit wrote:
Welcome to the fun!!!! Your kids are probably having restless nights until you get those toys home! Great family fun. All the info you'll need is here

My kids ha ha, I'm the one having sleepless nights :-)
I've been staying up way to late reading all the threads on this forum which has really got my wheels turning, I can't wait to get these home too start playing with them.

I still can't believe this deal fell in my lap because I had been planning on building a couple single seat buggies myself which were going to be somewhat similar to an odyssey anyways, now I might take the 250 and build a 2 seater out of it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:56 pm 

I hate continuing to post in an intro thread but I'm not quite ready for tech questions, so here is just a little update.

I was able to pick up the 350's last night and was hoping to do some riding this weekend but........"no brakes" on either one, so it looks like I'll be digging into that this weekend instead

Attachment:
Fl350 home.jpeg
Fl350 home.jpeg [ 120.25 KiB | Viewed 2850 times ]

Profile E-mail