Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New guy from Bama
PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:43 pm 

Hey all, name is Jon, new owner of an '85 Odyssey here. 35 years old, 2nd wife & 3 kids. Been into Hondas since the age of 4, starting with an ATC70, moved on to a '95 Z50, then '01 XR100R, a '98 KDX 220 (yeah, I know its a Kawi, but I managed to tag it, so it's great for local dirt roads), an '85 ATC250sx, '85 ATC350x, & an '86 ATC250r. Currently still own all but the ATC250r, which was traded for the Odyssey.

Really impressed with the site, not any of the riff raff and bad info you see on most online forums. I ran across it a few weeks ago doing some research on parts, I have to say, this is about the only forum I've ever seen that the search function actually works on.

I have spoken to Terry H. numerous times on FB about my Odyssey and I figured it was time to spread the love to you guys as well.

Parts installed so far on Odyssey:

Starter- Honda really screwed us on this one, I seriously thought about just not running with one after fighting for way too long trying to get the new one in. But I finally got it in.

Gas tank- This thing had sat in a barn somewhere. There was literally a rat's nest in it. Washed out with muriatic acid, then boiled out in ultrasonic cleaner at work. Pickup lines rusted thru, so drainplug was drilled and tapped. New paint.

Key switch- Ebay special. Purchased before I found out about Derek & his stash in California.

Vent Mod- Just drilled thru a M14x2 bolt & attached tubing with a filter to vent. While I had the stator cover off messing with the starter, I plugged the other side with a 10-24 machine screw with red loctite.

The bad: got it fired and idling, but it was smoking. ALOT. I figured it had been sitting up, and needed to get up to temp. I kept hearing something coming out of the vent line & realized it was pushing alot of air out. Crank seal bad!

So, it looks like I'm in for a case split (why can't it be like the last few I did and press in from the outside?), and I figured, if I'm there, I'm going to do bearings too. Cylinder/piston will be checked, I'm hoping its all fairly new stuff, the rest of the motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) was clean as a pin on the inside, and I can clearly see the Wiseco numbers on the top of piston (80.5mm) thru the plug hole.

Hoser, or whoever, please direct me to correct subs if this is wrong place to ask, some of the info on here for alternative part numbers is years old, is all of this info still good? Also, I see many mentions of OddATV, how is the seal kit from them? Last question, where to buy the metal base gasket? mine currently has one, is it reusable like the head gasket?

Link for if anyone wants to look at 250r I traded. I had maybe $2k into it spread over 10 years, I feel like I did an ok deal
https://photos.app.goo.gl/YbdREFSn5BTkAeLT6

Link for Odyssey photos
https://photos.app.goo.gl/6DFrpNSSPYU3gWZ79

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: New guy from Bama
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:43 am 

Welcome new guy.
Looking at that three wheeler, it appears to be a 1985. If it is you need to be spanked for selling it.
My buddy owned a 85' 250R and I owned the 85' Tecate KXT250. Those were kick azz machines.

I will try to help out when I can.
It's best to ask for info in the tech section but I will answer your questions here.
Derek is probably your best bet most of the time. All positive comments about him.
Next would probably be oddatv.
Don't buy from aftersucksmotursperts.
Some stuff you can get from Honda.
Many bearings are common.

Double lip seal: One of the items that is tough to find is the double lip seal on the crank, located behind the counter balancer gears. Derek might have it but if not you can get it from these guys in England: https://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/p3411 ... _info.html
I have this seal in my machines and they work well. Here is the write up: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=13603&hilit=double+lip+seal

The metal base gasket: I have reused mine but just used some red high temp silicone.
DO NOT USE A PAPER GASKET IT WILL BLOW OUT.
Here is proof (these are my machines) viewtopic.php?f=1&t=14418&hilit=base+gasket+blow+out
Speedchaser used to make metal base gaskets but I don't know if he still makes them. He don't come around this site very often anymore. We are all getting old.

Transmission: make sure you over fill it. I put two quarts in my machines. DO NOT rev the pizz out of your machine or even run it for long periods in idle. The transmission is a splash lube system. This means the input shaft bearing gets NO lube unless you are driving. If you blow this bearing it's over.

Parts books and codes: Here is a write up I did with some important info: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=18393&hilit=manuals
CO

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:41 am 

canadian oddy wrote:
Welcome new guy.
"Snip"
CO

Thanks for the welcome, CO. That 250r was definitely an '86 frame, I'm pretty sure it had an '85 Engine in it. I do not regret trading it the least bit, it started out with a CT Racing 310cc cylinder on it with a burned up piston when I got it. Over the 10 years I had it, I learned the hard & expensive way around that Engine several times over. Each time I brought it back to life, it was faster & faster, finally it was a OEM cylinder with a 68.5mm bore running right on the edge of pump/race gas. I realized I wasn't having fun anymore on it, it was more about fighting to stay in control, rather than just enjoying it. Plus I was the only one that rode it, I couldn't let any of my buddies be on my conscience if they got themselves hurt on the damn thing.

The Tecates are some awesome machines, but I have never seen one in person.

I spoke to Derek yesterday about seals, he said he had some, but I hadn't realized that splitting the cases was required to put them in. Now considering replacing bearing while I have them out, that's why I was asking about OddATV, I'm not sure what brand bearing are in the bottom end kit that they sell.

Have seen 1st hand the aftermath of a paper gasket, that's why I asked if the metals are reusable. I have heard that the headgasket is reusable, correct me if I'm wrong.

Transmission oil has been overfilled. I did a great bit of reading hear before I even started on this thing, I'm after reliability & long life.

Was lucky when I picked up my Odyssey, it came with a service manual.

I do have a question about rear springs: I understand they are too stiff. And do intend on replacing with a more appropriate rate. But as far as the stock springs, I am 145lbs & can jump up & down on the back & it will not give, as far as I can tell. I'm thinking surely they can't be THAT stiff, can they? Or would it be more likely I have some bound up joints in the rear?

Really appreciate you looking out, I know alot of guys here learned the hard way about what works & what doesn't.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:54 pm 

In those threads I posted here --- the one called parts books and codes --- click on the link and you would be able to get a free pdf download of the manual.
Lots of good reading in those threads.

As for rear spring rate, yes Honda really did boo boo. There is NO suspension travel back there. So no you don't have any links bound up. Here is the thread on springs: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18447&hilit=spring+rate

Here is my thread on the stock spring testing: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18465&hilit=spring+rate

CO

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:25 pm 

canadian oddy wrote:
In those threads I posted here --- the one called parts books and codes --- click on the link and you would be able to get a free pdf download of the manual.
Lots of good reading in those threads.

As for rear spring rate, yes Honda really did boo boo. There is NO suspension travel back there. So no you don't have any links bound up. Here is the thread on springs: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18447&hilit=spring+rate

Here is my thread on the stock spring testing: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18465&hilit=spring+rate

CO

Thank you CO!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:54 pm 

Welcome!

If you are chasing reliability, a water cooled head would be a step in the right direction.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:51 am 

I am going to save you a pile of heartache now --- AVGAS.
I will not get into the debate anymore on this issue. Every man for himself.
I want you to think about something -- the FL350 was only made for one year (Hummmm), the FL350 has an air cooled Engine directly behind a seat (Hummmm). After one year the Japanese gave up and waited four years before a completely redesigned machine with a LIQUID cooled Engine came out (Hummmm). What retard thought it was a good idea to put an air cooled Engine behind the seat ??
The problem with this set up is that pump gas will detonate because of the excess heat of the intake charge. Even a liquid cooled head is dubious. These machines will run on pump gas but every thing has to be c--k on.
You can run straight avgas like I do or you can do a 50/50 mix. Race gas is to expensive and not needed. The fuel on an oddy only needs a small increase in octane to live.
You are on your own pal.
CO

Profile E-mail