Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:35 pm 

ZeroClient wrote:
Looks like you have clickers on the Fox shocks. Those are progressive springs similar to dual rate.

Set your SAG (Front and Rear) to about 20% with driver weight (Balast) 70/30% - Seat/footwell.

(Front and Rear) If its riding rough and not reacting much to bumps, decrease compression

(Front and Rear) If after several fast bumps it bottoms out, decrease rebound in the front.

(Rear) If the machine seems to buck when releasing off of jumps/rotating front-downward, increase rear rebound hardness.

So, CW has some 83 & 84mm pistons for their 440cc kit, but my understanding is neither of those require a spacer as they are just over-cast sizes from Wiseco.... A CR500 piston (AKA FL500 sleave/conversion) needs a spacer because the CR500 piston is slightly taller than the FL400/440 pistons - hence the spacer.

If it were me, I'd first Measure squish. Then drain the coolant and pull the head off. Measure bore diameter. Measure piston/wall clearance. Prepare to buy a new head gasket (Which will likely need to be bored to the current 84~90mm size.

Wow, thanks so much for everything, I'm learning a bunch I thought I'd have to just figure out myself.

I have 0 sag right now which is nice for high speed, horrible for running over even a paperclip. I will adjust to your suggestion. I've done all my suspension for dirt bikes and raced for a long time so I understand how to adjust but that 70/30 split is gold. I had no clue.

When I take it apart I'll measure everything. I have the original owner's name so I can see what CW did to it originally, but who knows what else has been done in the meantime.

I am going to do the whole top end, check the bottom end, replace the reeds most likely, rebuild the carb from the ground up, maybe mod the air filter box a bit more as I don't like the way it sits and where the snorkel is positioned. I'll add the fan (still looking for a suitable replacement) and give the entire cooling system a flush and check the radiator. I plan to replace the battery with Lithium battery I have spare that has a lot more power and add a winch I have sitting in the garage. That's as far as I have gotten at this point in terms of the list of things to do. After all that I'll look into serious suspension changes if they are feasible.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:42 pm 

canadian oddy wrote:
chadnic wrote:
What seat did you get that fit? I am wondering if I can shave it to make the height correct and not have the steering wheel in my lap but still take advantage of more comfort?

Any recommendations on a harness? What did you replace yours with?

Seat: It's a procar seat. Not sure what model #. You can get them at Summit racing. The bad part is that I had to butcher it to get it to fit. Pics attached below. You can also see the height difference.
Harness: I have 3" race belts on all my machines. A G Force harness in my machine. A pro series in my brothers and a RaceQuip belt in the death machine. In my opinion the belts that bugeye59 has on his machine in Australia is the way to go. They are a Teamtech wide racing belt. Far superior to the junk I got now but they're expensive. If I do ever replace my belts I would consider the Teamtech. There is a picture of it on the last page of the thread I posted of my crash that broke my back.

I also noticed something on the pic you posted. On the pic that shows you standing on the tailgate of your truck next to the machine it's obvious you are a small guy like me. The Pilot frame is about your balls height and your legs are thin. Therefore you are about 5'5" tall and about 130 lbs. Unless you have real broad shoulders you will find the belts trying to slip off your shoulder. You need a way (strap) to hold the harness together at your chest bone or get those belts that bugeye59 has.
CO

I'll look at the seat thanks. When you say butcher it, what did you have to do? It looks tight but not horrible.

I actually used to be 5'5" before an accident on an airplane and now I'm just under 5'4" and I am just under 130 lbs (good eye!). I have broad shoulders and chest for my size but I think I understand what you mean so I'll have to look at that. Sitting in it today I can see they don't pinch at the top like I would like. I don't think they'll slip but in an accident they may not do the best job. Might require some welding to relocate some stuff or get the Teamtech ones.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:08 pm 

chadnic wrote:
When you say butcher it, what did you have to do? It looks tight but not horrible.

I have broad shoulders and chest for my size but I think I understand what you mean so I'll have to look at that. Sitting in it today I can see they don't pinch at the top like I would like. I don't think they'll slip but in an accident they may not do the best job. Might require some welding to relocate some stuff or get the Teamtech ones.

Seat: I don't remember the whole process but that seat came with a slider base. That had to be removed. The actual seat itself is a suspension seat with tube frame and I had to bash it with a hammer to just narrow it a bit for clearance. Then welded on a metal plate at the bottom and bolted the whole thing in. I agree it's not bad but I don't like the height difference. I never drive this machine anyways, beerpoacher does, and he likes it better than the stock seats. I guess it's what your preference is.

Seat belts: Forget the butchering and welding. Get a strap that holds the belts together at the chest. That would be my solution. It's fast,cheap,easy. First choice would be the Teamtech if you got money. https://teamtechmotorsports.com/product ... harnesses/

CO

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:00 pm 

canadian oddy wrote:
chadnic wrote:
When you say butcher it, what did you have to do? It looks tight but not horrible.

I have broad shoulders and chest for my size but I think I understand what you mean so I'll have to look at that. Sitting in it today I can see they don't pinch at the top like I would like. I don't think they'll slip but in an accident they may not do the best job. Might require some welding to relocate some stuff or get the Teamtech ones.

Seat: I don't remember the whole process but that seat came with a slider base. That had to be removed. The actual seat itself is a suspension seat with tube frame and I had to bash it with a hammer to just narrow it a bit for clearance. Then welded on a metal plate at the bottom and bolted the whole thing in. I agree it's not bad but I don't like the height difference. I never drive this machine anyways, beerpoacher does, and he likes it better than the stock seats. I guess it's what your preference is.

Seat belts: Forget the butchering and welding. Get a strap that holds the belts together at the chest. That would be my solution. It's fast,cheap,easy. First choice would be the Teamtech if you got money. https://teamtechmotorsports.com/product ... harnesses/

CO

Yeah gonna get the seat belts, probably spend the money on the teamtech and invest in a new hans device to be sure. Your accident is making me paranoid.

I'll have to figure out the seat. I'll take some measurements and see what else might fit. I'd like something with good lumbar support.

Profile E-mail