Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: -=Your Pilot? =-
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:43 pm 

Maybe time to wake up an old thread?
My first automotive anything was a cheap little go kart with a 5 HP briggs that I absolutely loved. I kept it at my friend Marcs house cause my mother didn't want me riding it at our house and upsetting or elderly neigbors. After owning for les than a week, I went to by buddies house only to find he traded it to someone for a stack of Playboys and a butterfly knife, all of which he kept for himself!

I really got into quads shortly after high school, specifically sport ones as I grew up on Long Island and there are NO legal riding areas anywhere, so we needed agility and speed in case we needed to vacate the premise ASAP. My second ride out with my first ever quad, I was rocking a blaster and a friend of a friend had a FL350. While I let a close buddy of mine use my blaster, this other guy let me ride his Oddy, but I got ripped out of it when the cops showed up (I made it about 300ft, in a circle and was in love with this thing!). I hopped onto my blaster to find my buddy had broken the gear shifter and was stuck in second. I seized the Engine as we were hastily traveling through the woods back to the trailer and had to get pulled to safety by a fellow rider and his banshee.

That brief time on the oddy got me hooked. I wanted one, but at that time there were few and they were expensive! I ended up getting a 1986 TRX250R, this machine was awesome! It needed some work, I had to rebuild all the calipers as the previous guy NEVER changed the pads (the pistons were rubbing the rotor to get it to stop! The plastics were scratched to hell, so I wetsanded and polished as best I could. The Engine was rebuilt with receipts, so I was good to go there.
Although my 250r treated me well, I still wanted and oddy. I was told there was a Pilot for sale at a local Honda dealer, I didn't know much about them at the time, but once I saw it I fell in love! I could only imagine the adrenaline you must get from a ride on one of those! I went inside to find it belonged to one of the mechanics there and was told he wanted $12000, yes I said $12K. I returned a few days later and bought a 450R. (did anybody think I would spend that much????!!!)

Fast forward 2 or 3 years, I found "a mint condition Odyssey FL350" for $1800 in upstate NY. Me and a friend went to go buy it. Looking at the pictures, it was all original, nice plastics, ad stated rebuilt motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )). I get there, and it is NOTHING like the pictures! The seller placed pictures of someone elses machine. This thing had diamond plate fenders and a "rebuilt" Polaris sled Engine. I chewed him down to $600 and off I went in hopes I could restore this thing. He said it wasn't jetted right which is why it ran like crap. I took it for a drive and it did move undr its own power so I figured "how bad can it be?" I get home, the Engine had 105PSI of compression and was now smoking. I wanted to return it to the original Engine anyway. I went to check the tranny and there were large metal flakes in it, shame on me for not checking before I bought it. After getting it jacked up to check the rear suspension, I see the "custom motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) mounthad the bolts welded to the frame, and a very large crack in the frame where the Engine cradle are connects to the rest of the frame. I ended This was now way out of my league, so I sold it to someone with way more skills than I have.

Present day, I still want an Oddy or pilot, but now I'm married, have a 16 month old and one on the way. I still have some toys but have lost some along the way. Sadly, no more Hondas in my garage. I hope to soon fill that void!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:59 pm 

stix wrote:
finallygot1 wrote:
I got my Pilot from someone that sells used lawnmowers on the side of the road about 1-1/2 years ago. One of those stories that you hear, but never think it could happen for you. Owning a Pilot has always been a dream or fantasy for me. I got a call from my cousin telling me that he saw what he thought was a Pilot for sale. I basically say yea right. A day or so later he confirmed it was a Pilot and got the guys number. I still was slow to react thinking it would be out of my price range. Well finally I couldn't take it any more and called the guy. I ..........

Good story. Got pics of the Camaro? Great car to restore., I just finished mine about 2 years ago and drive it every weekend. If you have any questions during the resto PM me. I went through just about every square inch of mine and tons of questions and little quirks here and there I finally got it done.

Nice looking RS Stix!! My 69 Z was sold new @ Hudiburg Chevrolet in Midwest City on 12/13/69 and remained in Chocataw until right before I bought in in 98. I spoke to the original owner several years ago & he claimed to still have the original flat hood tucked away. I've always wanted to take a trip down there to meet him and let him see the car again but just never have. Maybe someday..

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:04 pm 

toofast250r wrote:
Maybe time to wake up an old thread?
My first automotive anything was a cheap little go kart with a 5 HP briggs that I absolutely loved. I kept it at my friend Marcs house cause my mother didn't want me riding it at our house and upsetting or elderly neigbors. After owning for les than a week, I went to by buddies house only to find he traded it to someone for a stack of Playboys and a butterfly knife, all of which he kept for himself!

I really got into quads shortly after high school, specifically sport ones as I grew up on Long Island and there are NO legal riding areas anywhere, so we needed agility and speed in case we needed to vacate the premise ASAP. My second ride out with my first ever quad, I was rocking a blaster and a friend of a friend had a FL350. While I let a close buddy of mine use my blaster, this other guy let me ride his Oddy, but I got ripped out of it when the cops showed up (I made it about 300ft, in a circle and was in love with this thing!). I hopped onto my blaster to find my buddy had broken the gear shifter and was stuck in second. I seized the Engine as we were hastily traveling through the woods back to the trailer and had to get pulled to safety by a fellow rider and his banshee.

That brief time on the oddy got me hooked. I wanted one, but at that time there were few and they were expensive! I ended up getting a 1986 TRX250R, this machine was awesome! It needed some work, I had to rebuild all the calipers as the previous guy NEVER changed the pads (the pistons were rubbing the rotor to get it to stop! The plastics were scratched to hell, so I wetsanded and polished as best I could. The Engine was rebuilt with receipts, so I was good to go there.
Although my 250r treated me well, I still wanted and oddy. I was told there was a Pilot for sale at a local Honda dealer, I didn't know much about them at the time, but once I saw it I fell in love! I could only imagine the adrenaline you must get from a ride on one of those! I went inside to find it belonged to one of the mechanics there and was told he wanted $12000, yes I said $12K. I returned a few days later and bought a 450R. (did anybody think I would spend that much????!!!)

Fast forward 2 or 3 years, I found "a mint condition Odyssey FL350" for $1800 in upstate NY. Me and a friend went to go buy it. Looking at the pictures, it was all original, nice plastics, ad stated rebuilt motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) ((Internal Combustion Engine?)). I get there, and it is NOTHING like the pictures! The seller placed pictures of someone elses machine. This thing had diamond plate fenders and a "rebuilt" Polaris sled Engine. I chewed him down to $600 and off I went in hopes I could restore this thing. He said it wasn't jetted right which is why it ran like crap. I took it for a drive and it did move undr its own power so I figured "how bad can it be?" I get home, the Engine had 105PSI of compression and was now smoking. I wanted to return it to the original Engine anyway. I went to check the tranny and there were large metal flakes in it, shame on me for not checking before I bought it. After getting it jacked up to check the rear suspension, I see the "custom motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) ((Internal Combustion Engine?)) mounthad the bolts welded to the frame, and a very large crack in the frame where the Engine cradle are connects to the rest of the frame. I ended This was now way out of my league, so I sold it to someone with way more skills than I have.

Present day, I still want an Oddy or pilot, but now I'm married, have a 16 month old and one on the way. I still have some toys but have lost some along the way. Sadly, no more Hondas in my garage. I hope to soon fill that void!

You can only lurk for so long before the bug bites you and then you have pull the trigger on a Pilot or Oddy. Good luck :-)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:13 pm 

rarerat wrote:
stix wrote:
finallygot1 wrote:
I got my Pilot from someone that sells used lawnmowers on the side of the road about 1-1/2 years ago. One of those stories that you hear, but never think it could happen for you. Owning a Pilot has always been a dream or fantasy for me. I got a call from my cousin telling me that he saw what he thought was a Pilot for sale. I basically say yea right. A day or so later he confirmed it was a Pilot and got the guys number. I still was slow to react thinking it would be out of my price range. Well finally I couldn't take it any more and called the guy. I ..........

Good story. Got pics of the Camaro? Great car to restore., I just finished mine about 2 years ago and drive it every weekend. If you have any questions during the resto PM me. I went through just about every square inch of mine and tons of questions and little quirks here and there I finally got it done.

Nice looking RS Stix!! My 69 Z was sold new @ Hudiburg Chevrolet in Midwest City on 12/13/69 and remained in Chocataw until right before I bought in in 98. I spoke to the original owner several years ago & he claimed to still have the original flat hood tucked away. I've always wanted to take a trip down there to meet him and let him see the car again but just never have. Maybe someday..

that's a nice Z, and don't worry I wont call it the bumble bee car from the Transformers movie that would just be insulting, lol.

Hudiburg Chevrolet is only minutes from my house. I didnt realize Hudiburg had been around that long. I bougt a Nissan supercharged truck from those jackasses back in '02. I will never buy a car from Hudiburg in Midwesty City Oklahoma and will advise anyone looking to purchase a car to stay away from Hudiburg. A bunch of snobby shits just wanting to make a shit ton of $$ off the buyer then sticking it to them when its time for warranty work. I wont go into detals. They still sell chevys but also hijacked selling Nissans and Subaroos!!

Where are you? If you make it down Ill have to meet you to see the car in person. Choctaw is only 30 minutes from my homestead. That 302 is a beast Ill bet you have a blast smoking the big block cars, he he

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:41 pm 

Thanks, no this one is the gutless wonder. It runs good for what it is but any mild BB would have it for lunch. lol.. The car has become to valuable to go out and really drive it the way it was intended so all it really does is set in the garage and collect dust. If & when I ever do make the trip maybe I can bring my Pilot & we can ride. :-)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:31 am 

Wow this thread is old :shock:
A few members I don't even remember and a couple i do that were banned :shock:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:06 pm 

Back in 89-90 2 of my riding buddies bought pilots and had too much fun, one incident at Glamis, battling side by side, went over a dune, both did front roll overs, one ended up on it's side the other did end up on the rubber and kept going. A couple years back one of them was offered to me at a price I could not refuse, bought it for the wife to use as she tried it once way back. well now that the kids are adults I can't get her back out so I have been having fun in it :-)
Maybe some day I'll get something with more power and sell the pilot but for now..... -::

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:38 pm 

redskinman wrote:

Yea 5 years ago, what ever happened to Hare

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:52 pm 

stix wrote:
redskinman wrote:

Yea 5 years ago, what ever happened to Hare

hare has been MIA for a while now assume he is really busy with work? Seen him pop into the chat room a few times every now and then last time I seen him I think he was having problems keeping his computer connected, probably time to shoot him a email see whats up :shock: I still have one of his engines in my shop from his last poofkaboom waiting for parts sooner or later he will be needing it back lol

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:28 pm 

Hey guys here is my 89 pilot that i also got from the original owner that bought 3 of them brand new in Mt. Vernon Ohio,it is all stock everything works and runs very well glad to be a part of the forum

Attachments:
A11B1E40-6379-4F2F-8E47-FC693BCB3F25.jpeg
A11B1E40-6379-4F2F-8E47-FC693BCB3F25.jpeg [ 78.87 KiB | Viewed 4764 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:42 pm 

Welcome - Nice pilot.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:15 pm 

nice pilot!!!! welcome!!!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:21 pm 

mine is very simple, when I saw there in 1989 the pilot fl400r fell in love ... but I did not have the money to buy it, I had a friend who had bought 5 pilot and let me use them, there I made my love for them more, already great, after much searching, I managed to have my pilot which I bought very mistreated and with a lot of love, work, money and effort, I got it to be as I wanted, after a long time, I managed to have a large stock of pilot spare parts, which In my country it is not easy to get, I hope soon to be able to buy another one for my son so we will shoot together ...

Profile E-mail