Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:26 pm 

Everybody has a story behind their toys so lets hear yours...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 5:28 pm 

Short version, It sucked to have to fix a high dollar car to make it right.

Long version, It sucked for a long time to have to fix a high dollar car to make it right.

It's all good now other than the cob webs that keep showing up.

Tom

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:09 pm 

Quote:

Long version, It sucked for a long time to have to fix a high dollar car to make it right.

It's all good now

DITTO!!!!

Each season, I fix design problems and upgrade others.

I think next years project will be to fix the steering.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:11 pm 

DunePilot wrote:
Quote:

It's all good now

DITTO!!!!

Each season, I fix design problems and upgrade others.

I think next years project will be to fix the steering.

Whats up with the steering?

Maybe start a thread in "Projects" ?

How you been haven't seen you in a while..

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:05 pm 

Well after not quite two years and plenty of riding, the only thing Ted and I have had to do to the Drakart Tigers is change oil and filters, add gas and go.

Both are to the point that we now need new rear tires, don't know how many miles they went, but an awful lot of the time, the rears were spinning. We are going to try more paddles and see how that works.

This is quite a change from the old belt driven days. Seemed like I was always working on something, of course, a lot of it was on stuff I had screwed up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:55 am 

Quote:
Whats up with the steering?

Fortunately, there has not been any failures, but the design used for the inner tie-rods is not robust at all. I may even fix them before Glamis dune season begins.

Of the things I've fixed and have had fixed, I never had a failure, meaning they left me stranded or the car would not run, etc... just design issues that were not right and I was not comfortable using the car as it was.

Such as:
Circuit protection: Fuses, fusible links and/or circuit breakers. Originally, there were none. Now there are circuit breakers for all major systems including a master power cutoff switch which cuts power to the car. I never had a problem, but I did not want to take any chances and besides circuit protection is a good thing.

Suspension: Imagine this, nitrogen charged shocks are actually supposed to have nitrogen in them. :shock: Perhaps it was an option I forgot to order. Thanks to Big Tom, I now have this special and unique option. :-)

Drive and Driven Clutch adjustments: When I had the POS Geo Metro Engine, I mistakenly expected the clutches to be adjusted/tuned to it's power output (read: low RPM), not set up to run the Engine at high RPM like a two-stroke. Got that fixed after wasting an entire dune season of screwing around with different adjustments only to find out the Engine was not putting out 70hp as claimed, but more like 58! Slight difference there, but 70hp sure sounded good. Now I've got about 125 to 130. Works awesome.

Loose spindle nuts: Another crazy thing, these nuts should actually be tight. Must have been another option I forgot to select. Fortunately, I really do check these things and fixed the problem before I lost a wheel at 70mph or so in the dunes. Not that it would have been a big deal, right? :shock:

I also got rid of that support bracket on the outside of the driven clutch. What a hassle that was to have to remove it every time you replace a belt. Relocated the support bearing, switched to a Team Rapid Reaction clutch with a custom CMoore Off-Road helix, as well as upgraded the weights and spring on the drive clutch. Lastly, I upgraded the belt to one with more Kevlar. Costs a bit more, but they work better and last longer. It's got a little higher stall/engagement speed, but it works much better than the previous set up. I also don't have to worry about breaking the towers on the driven clutch if I should land under power.

When I do sell it, the new owner will have a very reliable and very fast car. They'll know it's better than most as they will not have to deal with the design issues Drakarts have, as mine will have been fixed.

Quote:
How you been haven't seen you in a while..

Been busy and been trolling, but haven't had anything to add, till now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:49 pm 

Drakman wrote:
Well after not quite two years and plenty of riding, the only thing Ted and I have had to do to the Drakart Tigers is change oil and filters, add gas and go.

Both are to the point that we now need new rear tires, don't know how many miles they went, but an awful lot of the time, the rears were spinning. We are going to try more paddles and see how that works.

This is quite a change from the old belt driven days. Seemed like I was always working on something, of course, a lot of it was on stuff I had screwed up.

don't forget temp gauge needle, ha ha

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:28 pm 

stix9567 wrote:
Drakman wrote:

don't forget temp gauge needle, ha ha

By golly you're right! Already fixed, so, I now have about $29.00 in repairs, gonna need some new rear tires, is that maint or repairs.......... I know it is self induced, so maybe I have to put it down as foolishness.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:34 pm 

Probably too many sand sandwiches served to Adnoh, wife and myself...I chalk it up to having toooo much fun

Profile E-mail