Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 7:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New FL250 owner in Vegas
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:58 pm 

Morning guys,

My name is James, I've been a certified mechanic since I was 18, now 43. I've been lurking around this site for a week or two now. Lots of good info.....Thanks!

I had a little quad accident last dec. and ended up breaking my wrist pretty badly. I go in for my second surgury on it in a couple of weeks....Hopefully it will be useable after this one. Anyway, I can hardly ride my Harley on the street, let alone bounce around in the dirt holding onto bars and pulling a clutch. So I decided I needed something with a steering wheel and a cage to keep me from breaking things....Atleast on myself...LoL.

I bought an fl250 off of craigs list about 4 weeks ago. I have wanted one since I was a kid. The motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) ran. Almost every bolt was missing or falling out. it was stripped to the bare assentials. It had a couple of cracked tubes, one in the motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) cage and one in the head cage behind the seat. The frame was bent and ripped where the trans had been hitting it. and the front axle tube looked like it had been used for the bumper. Both sides were bent back at a 45 degree angle. No fenders, skid plates or belt covers. Rear tires were shot. He did have an extra axle with trans and brake, and an extra bottom end with clutch. I enjoy re-building things. He was asking 500, I gave him 300. After looking it over better I should have given him less.

Anyway, I got it home and had it stripped to the bare frame in a few hours. Sorry, No pics... I should give the guy I bought it from a call and see if I can get the craigslist pic. I took the frame to a machine shop near where I work and got them to striaghten the front axle tube. A few hours of fileing and emry cloth and the j-arm bushings fit nice and snug. I welded up the 2 cracks I had in the cages. Sanded and painted everything and got it back together.

I scoured Evilbay for the missing parts and got them all cleaned up, painted and on. Before the skid plates and fenders arrived I took it out for my first ride. Lots of fun, But I melted the belt in a few hours. I opdered up another 2 belts and examined the clutches. The drive clutch faces seems worn, But I am not sure how they are suppose to look. I took a look at the other clutch I had on the extra bottom end and it was worn out inside. The pins had slapped there way almost all the way through the slid holes. I ordered another used clutch from evilbay and it wasn't much better then what I had. I cleaned it up, Lubed it and tried again. Almost seem to wear the belt out quicker the the first one. Started slipping in less then an hour. I would like to get this a bit more dependable and give it to my wife and get me a 350.

So, Here I am.

Is the belt slipping due to the worn clutch faces, Or is there something else I am missing?
I read somewhere in here that it is possible to run a 94c drive with a stock driven by adding a spacer?
Would I be better off buying a comet set of clutches, or a new oem drive clutch?...prices seem close to the same.

I know I should post these in a different catagory, but I'm here already...LoL.

P.S. I have a 82 CR250R that was last years re-build. It's in great shape. Riden by me only twice since the re-build. It needs a new home. I can't ride it. If I could get 1000 out of it I would be happy...still losing, but happy...LoL.

Thanks again for all your help.

Attachments:
File comment: First ride! No fenders or skid plates yet.
document[1].jpg
document[1].jpg [ 339.26 KiB | Viewed 300 times ]
File comment: After the second ride
document[12].jpg
document[12].jpg [ 291.67 KiB | Viewed 299 times ]
document[121].jpg
document[121].jpg [ 266.23 KiB | Viewed 300 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:56 pm 

Good lookin ride, welcome to the site

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:59 pm 

Here is a before and after of my CR250 R

Attachments:
File comment: Before
1871_1[1].jpg
1871_1[1].jpg [ 28.17 KiB | Viewed 354 times ]
File comment: After
document1.jpg
document1.jpg [ 390.61 KiB | Viewed 298 times ]
File comment: A couple hours after that. Broke the chain. Now has a new red O-ring chain.
document4.jpg
document4.jpg [ 228.97 KiB | Viewed 298 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:11 am 

Welcome to the site, where exactly were you riding I was in the Vegas area a week or so ago..

Think about putting a dual filter setup on that thing that dust in the desert is nasty stuff, filter your air before it goes into the snorkel tube and to the main air box then the filter in the air box will have less to filter and chances of anything getting past is greatly reduced.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:04 pm 

hoser wrote:
Welcome to the site, where exactly were you riding I was in the Vegas area a week or so ago..

Think about putting a dual filter setup on that thing that dust in the desert is nasty stuff, filter your air before it goes into the snorkel tube and to the main air box then the filter in the air box will have less to filter and chances of anything getting past is greatly reduced.

Thanks Hoser, Nice place you have here.

There is no shortage of places to ride around here. When I am building and working out the bugs I try not to get to far from civilization. The picture with the CR is at the Las Vegas lake bed. About 10 miles south of Vegas off Las Vegas Blvd. Last week I was riding out near Boulder City. They have a few tracks and hundreds of miles of trails, another lake bed. You could go from Boulder City to Laughlin in the dirt.

I have another small K&N filter I was thinking of trying to make fit in the snorkel, but I thought it might restrict it to much.

If I can get the belt to last more then an hour or so, I will do the rest of things I was thinking about.

Attachments:
File comment: A couple more of my never ending projects.
document[2].jpg
document[2].jpg [ 221.72 KiB | Viewed 299 times ]
 Profile E-mail