Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 9:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New n00b in Pa.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:44 pm 

What's up everyone? I'm Jamie from Northeast Pa. and in the market for a FL350. I ran across this site while searching for info on the FL350's. After digging around a bit, I have to say that there is alot more information here than most of the other sites combined. I figured that I had better stick around and maybe find a FL350 somewhat near me that is in decent shape and a reasonable price. I've been riding dirtbikes and ATV's since I was 10 (I'm 28 now) but sadly never had an Odyssey. I hope I can change that soon!

Post subject: Re: New n00b in Pa.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:49 pm 

d3m3nt3d88 wrote:
What's up everyone? I'm Jamie from Northeast Pa. and in the market for a FL350. I ran across this site while searching for info on the FL350's. After digging around a bit, I have to say that there is alot more information here than most of the other sites combined. I figured that I had better stick around and maybe find a FL350 somewhat near me that is in decent shape and a reasonable price. I've been riding dirtbikes and ATV's since I was 10 (I'm 28 now) but sadly never had an Odyssey. I hope I can change that soon!

Nice to meet you Jamie. No N00bs on here!.. just new people :) I recommend Searchtempest.com. It will search all of craigslist with the click of a mouse. Either that or see what user Mudbogger has lying around as he lives nearby. he might have a few FL350s stuck in his couch cushions.(only partially joking).

Tim

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:54 pm 

also here is a guy in north new jersey selling 6 of them

http://newjersey.craigslist.org/rvs/1529850741.html

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:22 am 

Tim, thanks for the welcome. Before I can buy an Ody I have to get rid of my 1987 LT250r project. I was originally planning on restoring it but I'm now going back to school at Penn State for electrical engineering so between that and work, I barely have time to ride, let alone dive into a project. I have a 2003 400EX, the LT and my fiance has a 2008 KFX450. (Yes the girl has a faster quad...I know...lol) So as soon as I am able to make some room I'll be on the hunt for a FL350.
The guy with the six is a little confusing. He never states which one is $2,500 and starts the ad by saying he has six for sale that are 100% then five lines down says he has one 100% complete one for sale. They do look nice though, I hope he still has at least one left when I'm able to buy or if Mudbogger has one for sale. (I assume he owns a few? lol)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:36 am 

d3m3nt3d88 wrote:
Tim, thanks for the welcome. Before I can buy an Ody I have to get rid of my 1987 LT250r project. I was originally planning on restoring it but I'm now going back to school at Penn State for electrical engineering so between that and work, I barely have time to ride, let alone dive into a project. I have a 2003 400EX, the LT and my fiance has a 2008 KFX450. (Yes the girl has a faster quad...I know...lol) So as soon as I am able to make some room I'll be on the hunt for a FL350.
The guy with the six is a little confusing. He never states which one is $2,500 and starts the ad by saying he has six for sale that are 100% then five lines down says he has one 100% complete one for sale. They do look nice though, I hope he still has at least one left when I'm able to buy or if Mudbogger has one for sale. (I assume he owns a few? lol)

if he doenst have one assembled, he has enough parts to make you one im sure of that haha. He probably has enough parts to start an immigrant child labor camp in his barn to start official production again.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:20 am 

d3m3nt3d88 wrote:
(Yes the girl has a faster quad...I know...lol)

Not such a bad thing! You have a great view all day!!!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:17 pm 

Welcome to the site

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:07 pm 

Update! I found one 15 minutes away from my house. I went to look at it today and put $100 down on it. If I can find the time on Tuesday I'll hit the bank for the cash and get it home! It's in great shape, solid, no squeeks or rattles all the plastics are on it, no cracks in the foot pan, brand new tires and Douglas wheels. The only thing is that it no longer has the original Engine. The gentleman that owns it is around 40 and put in a 16hp briggs & stratton v twin in it. He wanted something a little more reliable and less powerful for his kids to putt around his property with. At first I lost interest in it but he changed my mind by throwing a 440 Arctic Cat motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) that only needs a carb in the deal for free. I feel like a kid at Christmas!! :shock: lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:49 pm 

Is this the Ody?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcGYQaUKKJ4

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:49 pm 

I had to watch it a few times but no it's not. The youtube one is missing the net behind the seat (I think) and the exhaust is a little different. Plus the guy driving is too young (if that's the owner of the youtube one). That one seems to go a little quicker than the one I'm getting. Maybe he changed the cams? I'm actually getting the whole snowmobile with it too, not just the Engine. It's a 1981 Arctic Cat Jag 440 F/C. I still didn't sell the LT250R yet either so I have NO IDEA where I'm putting all this stuff lol!! Oh and I forgot to mention the Briggs Engine has a new Comet clutch on it too. I don't know the model # though or if it will work with the 440.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:40 pm 

Nice find. I'm putting the same motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) in my fl250 mines a 84 panther 440 f/c
they both have the same motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) if I'm not mistaken I think they both have the spirit 431cc Suzuki Engine
if you need any parts I have some spares. I also have the oem parts manual if you need to know the arctic cat part # to order something.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:02 pm 

Thanks alot man! Any help is greatly appreciated! I'm going to start by replacing the crank seals, check compression and go from there. It has been sitting outside a few years since the carb went on it. I didn't even check out the sled while I was there. I was more interested in the Ody. If it turns out that there is a lot to be fixed, I may just scrap the whole idea and pick up a different 440 that runs for the Ody so if you end up needing any parts I may be able to help. I'm not even sure if it is electric start? I'll find out soon enough though. I'm picking up the new toy(s) on Wednesday! :-)

Post subject: New Oddy
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:55 am 

Welcome Jamie. Man you jump in with both feet don't you. I admire that. You'll make it work. The Briggs should be worth some money to someone. I'll be watching for your projects post on the sled motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) installation. I'm curious about those since I've never even worked on one. Not a lot of opportunity for that here in GA LOL. Your right about this forum. These guys will hook you up.

Good Luck, Wink

P.S. Too many toys, not enough room, sounds like a lucky man.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:41 pm 

Everything worked out perfect to be honest. I found one close to home (otherwise I would have been driving to Jersey). Plus I was planning on a sled Engine conversion anyway. It was almost like fate made me buy a papershop (weekly classified in PA), found the ad and then found out the guy had the sled with the Engine I was planning on putting in anyway. Then he told me I could have it for free!
It's actually kind of strange to see everyone on here being so helpful to each other. Most forums are just a group of people trying to start fights with everyone else. I will be snapping some pics of it tomorrow when I get it home and they should be up tomorrow night. If all goes well....big "IF"...lol...I want to have the 440 swap completed sometime this spring. The Briggs Engine runs great but it's just not the type of power delivery I'm looking for. I'll probably sell it on ebay...along with the shell of the sled....or put that in the sled..hmmm...lol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:05 pm 

D3m welcome from another new guy
Go Oddy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:31 pm 

GOT IT!!! A few pics puttin around before I get yelled at for no helmet...lol I have the lights for it too...they're just not on at the moment. Only thing I need for it are the wrist restraints.
I didn't get the sled today though, I think I'm just going to pull the motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) since the sled is pretty rough. The guy said I can come back up on the weekend when I have more time.
As you can tell from the pics....we LOVE IT!!!

Attachments:
102_0795a.jpg
102_0795a.jpg [ 164.9 KiB | Viewed 542 times ]
102_0797b.jpg
102_0797b.jpg [ 151.83 KiB | Viewed 542 times ]
102_0799c.jpg
102_0799c.jpg [ 160.99 KiB | Viewed 542 times ]
102_0800d.jpg
102_0800d.jpg [ 157.92 KiB | Viewed 542 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:33 pm 

d3m3nt3d88 wrote:
GOT IT!!! A few pics puttin around before I get yelled at for no helmet...lol I have the lights for it too...they're just not on at the moment. Only thing I need for it are the wrist restraints.
I didn't get the sled today though, I think I'm just going to pull the motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) since the sled is pretty rough. The guy said I can come back up on the weekend when I have more time.
As you can tell from the pics....we LOVE IT!!!

What did you think of the power?

Yeah you want to buckle up and put a helmet on even for a short test ride, ask Litespeed! Happens when you least expect it, he was doing a casual demo ride for a family member.

The helmet is mostly so you don't bang the roll bar with your bare skull, imagine someone hitting you in the head with a steel pipe lol, I am 6' 1" tall so I am a little closer to the bars but I have hundreds of little red paint marks on my helmet from hitting the cage over the years.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:52 pm 

The seatbelts were actually frozen from the trailer ride to my place. The roads were wet today and it is also about 30 degrees out. It was getting spray on it from the wheels of the truck. I was a little nervous about not using them myself. The power isn't really impressive. It has a ton of torque down low but never really pulls after that. It tops out at mayyyybe 35mph. It feels and sounds like the go-carts at amusement parks. It gives you a little kick off the line but that's it. I'm sure the Engine would be great for someone...just not for me lol.

I think something 40-60hp would be more of what I want. I think the a 440 should do the job nicely. Do I need both clutches off the sled or will the stock transmission one on the Ody be ok? Also, will the Comet clutch from the Briggs Engine fit? I know the second question is a bit broad but thought someone might have an idea. I'll take a close up shot of the Comet tomorrow. I'm going to keep the Briggs in it untill I get a running replacement so I don't have too much down time. Then I'll probably put it up for sale unless I can find another use for it.

Slow or not I still love riding it! I still can't believe how smooth the ride is with 25 year old suspension.
Is there a secret to getting into these things? I must have smashed my head, shoulders and knees 10 times already getting in and out of the thing. I'm about 6' and 180lbs and it's like a gymnastic event trying to get in to ride lol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:41 am 

Nice find. It looks to be in good shape outside of the whole Engine swap thing.

My buggy had a 16hp Briggs V-twin in it for a bit when I first built it. It is a fun Engine, sounds bad-ass with straight pipes, but as you noticed has no real speed, just good low end torque. It is a decent Engine if the only use for the buggy was tight woods trails.

I then rebuilt my whole buggy, changed a lot of stuff and put in a mid 90's liquid cooled Polaris 440cc Engine. I'm guessing it's around 65hp or so. The buggy absolutely rips with that Engine. It's probably not any faster top end than a stock Ody, but it gets there quicker and just has instant power whenever I hit the gas.

You can see some videos of my buggy here http://www.youtube.com/user/JustMtnB44 . There is one in there of when it had the Briggs Engine too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:39 pm 

Awesome videos man! The ones with the briggs sound very familiar lol. The 440 ones are great...they have me all fired up to get this swap done! Your buggy looks wicked...very nice indeed!