Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 10:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hello from GA
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:10 pm 

Sorry guys, I apologize. I've been a member since last October and have been meaning to do this but just never took the time. I'm about 30 miles south of atlanta. I'm a mechanic by trade, allways have been. Wife says I've been in a midlife crisis as long as she's known me(28yrs). One old car after another with a dose of street bikes and dirt bikes thrown in to break it up from time to time.I'm 49. I wanted an Oddy way back in the early 80's when I rode one a friend had but never got around to it till now. Xmas 08 I bought a Chinese rip-off go cart for my son and I and quickly realized that was a mistake. I'm sure there are good ones out there but ours is not one of them. You get what you pay for. So I lucked into and bought (cheap) an FL350.It's been ridden hard and put up wet. If not for the info. on this site ( thanks Hoser and the rest of you) I probably would have patched it up and proceeded to melt a piston and ruin a lower end.I really want to ride this thing. The Engine would start but needs boring.It's on the original bore thankfully.Pre recall head and cylinder. Lots of other stuff worn out. Gas tank so rusty it's junk. Brakes shot etc. Anyway thanks for the help and Happy New Year.

Wink

Attachments:
123.JPG
123.JPG [ 1.69 MiB | Viewed 294 times ]
138.JPG
138.JPG [ 1.61 MiB | Viewed 295 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:53 pm 

Welcome from a newbie
lucky for us they are fun to work on/develop
Go Oddy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:32 pm 

How goes the rebuild?

Any pics of your past cars?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Thanks for the welcome
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:08 am 

Thanks for the welcome guys. I'll post a few pics. of some cars as soon as I can H if you'd like. Currently I have a 1970 Ram Air 3 Trans Am. White with parchment interior. Original at the moment right down to the carb and alternator. It's not restored but has a great body with a Earl Scheib backyard paint job. It's good at 20 ft anyway. I love those damn cars for some reason. My first car was a 69 firebird, 350 2brl 3spd. Then a 1973 T/A 455 turbo 400 column shift. Never seen another one but the codes seemed to confirm it. The next which is the one that shouldn't have got away was a 1969 Z/28, gold with black stripes, DZ 302, hounds tooth interior. Then a 1969 SS 396 Camaro. A 1970 Ram Air 3 T/A 4spd with air. A 1959 stepside Apache pickup.1966 VW Bug, wish I still had it too.1968... I think, VW Van. 1967 SS Nova, 350 4 spd, Butternut yellow black interior. Never restored that one just sold it like an idiot. My son was on the way though. 1972 Trans Am 455 HO turbo 400. I think that's all.

Wink

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:01 am 

dz 302 :shock: nice those engines were screamers :-)

Post subject: 302
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:17 am 

It was a helluva lot of fun. My favorite. I was young and dumb though. Allways looking for the next project,adventure or something. At 22 I didn't have a lot of extra coin (still don't ) so one had to go in order for the next purchase to happen. A doctor ended up giving it to his teenage son who promptly wraped it around a tree. At least the kid lived...
There is something very efficient about the 4.0 x 3.0 bore to stroke ratio. The 5.0 mustangs back up that theory with their tunability I think. Love those engines too. I swear I can recognize one by the sound without looking most of the time.

Wink

Post subject: Fl rebuild
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:49 pm 

Hoser in answer to your question on the rebuild at the moment I'm still gathering parts and trying to find time to do a port clean-up along the lines of what jim has done. I also need to get the cases apart because I just don't trust the bottom end due to the oddy spending some time outside with the carb. to cylinder rubber boot loose. The carb was engaged in the boot but no clamp. A little moisture acumulated at the base of the cylinder sleeve where it meets the crankcase. My concern although I can't see it is that one of the crankbearings or the rod bearing has rust. It wasn't much moisture at all but I just don't know. Nows the time if theres a problem. He said he had the lower end worked and the freeplay seems to bear that out but the cases are pretty grimey. I have a piston kit (wiseco). A new 94c, throttle cable, Uni air filter, and I purchased a 36 mm carb. The head,boring and fuel tank issues still need attention. Never having ridden this thing I hope the tranny is good. Is there anything short of disassembly I can check there (the trans) besides a fluid change. I think I really should start a post under projects since that's where this belongs huh. I have pics. for a visual that I'll put there then.

Thanks, Wink