Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:39 am 

the orignal im soo glad that the welds were shit they snapped off with a cressant wrench

what im planning to do

would heat mess with the fuel in the tank ?
i would put it higher but i don't want to cut off the orignal tabs.

does any one know where to get plugs for the temp switchs on the YFZ450 radiator
the summit kit wont fit in the plugs on the raditor

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:37 am 

I have my auxiliary fuel tank located just behind the radiator and the heat is not an issue.

I have also plugged the holes in my YFZ radiator........the fittings are M18 x 1.5. I used oil pan drain plugs Dorman part number 090-114. I picked them up at an auto parts store.

Rand

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:14 am 

Randman wrote:
I have my auxiliary fuel tank located just behind the radiator and the heat is not an issue.

I have also plugged the holes in my YFZ radiator........the fittings are M18 x 1.5. I used oil pan drain plugs Dorman part number 090-114. I picked them up at an auto parts store.

Rand

how did u run your temp sensor?

u got a photo?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:03 am 

I monitor the temp of my Engine using a Trail Tech Vapor. The sensor is mounted in the coolant line that runs from the head to the top of the radiator.

Rand

Attachments:
Vapor Sensor.jpg
Vapor Sensor.jpg [ 51.14 KiB | Viewed 3975 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:28 pm 

Randman wrote:
I monitor the temp of my Engine using a Trail Tech Vapor. The sensor is mounted in the coolant line that runs from the head to the top of the radiator.

Rand

actually i meant the fan temp switch
but that works too

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:30 pm 

see the air filter
would it hurt if i were to cut the mount shorter so that it would be better hight wise
or is it better to have it higher

at the moment its all the way down touching the tank

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:40 pm 

You can shorten the filter tube to get enough clearance but.......

The actual problem that you have there is the filter itself. That is a K&N filter. Unless you do something to put some additional filtration on that filter, you will end up with a quickly worn out Engine.

K&N filters by themselves work fine for street but when you start to play around in the dirt with one, they don't filter out enough of the fine particles. These fine particles run straight through the filter and work like sand paper to wear the Engine out in very short order. You can put an additional filter and outer filter on it and it should work just fine.

Got any pictures of the mount without the filter on it?

Rand

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:01 pm 

Randman wrote:
You can shorten the filter tube to get enough clearance but.......

The actual problem that you have there is the filter itself. That is a K&N filter. Unless you do something to put some additional filtration on that filter, you will end up with a quickly worn out Engine.

K&N filters by themselves work fine for street but when you start to play around in the dirt with one, they don't filter out enough of the fine particles. These fine particles run straight through the filter and work like sand paper to wear the Engine out in very short order. You can put an additional filter and outer filter on it and it should work just fine.

Got any pictures of the mount without the filter on it?

Rand

K&N filters are shit IMO it has a dust cover but that's it oes any one make an filter that will bolt on it with no problem
or how much is an used air box ?
i have a spaire but its crap
ill have some picts in 7 min

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:08 pm 

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:39 pm 

I would ditch that huge tank go back to the stock one. If you need more range I would put in a 1 gallon reserve tank and drain it into the stocker. Makes working on the odyssey sooo much easier plus its a cleaner look.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:45 pm 

last time i went out ridint i burnt threw a lot of fuel

i don't want to spend any more $$$ on another tank when this one came with my odyssey

im still goning to have my stock tank this one will be extra fuel on an ride...might come off if i ever want to put that cbr 600 in my other one dosent look like that is going to happen any time soon tho might put the stock Engine in it or an rotax if i can find one cheap not verry likely around here

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:50 pm 

You have the famous aftermarket K&N filter setup, the same as I have currently installed.

Note.....If you lower the filter down over the pipe without shortening it it will restrict the air flow.

Here is a link to the original.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-1985-FL35 ... b6&vxp=mtr" ."..

With the additional K&N covers they work fine. One is the traditional outer wear and the other is a coarse foam filter like that on the outside of the UNI filter system.

Now with that being said, there is a large performance difference with the stock air box and the setup you have now. The air box has a few big pluses and minuses.

Pluses.....
1.) It shields the filter from outside debris like mud, leaves, branches, sand.....you get the idea.

2.) It creates a pulse resonance that helps with bottom end torque.

Minuses.....
1.) It is restrictive for air flow on top end. This can be remedied by adding an additional port in the box.

2.) The box is a pain in the ass to remove for carb jetting and maintenance.

If you are wanting to go back to the stock air box, let me know. I know someone who has a stock air box in great condition I'm sure he would sell to you for a reasonable price.

As far as the gas tank like Shoubadaba mentioned, I have a small 2.5 gallon auxiliary tank on mine plus the stock tank for a total of 6.2 gallons of fuel.

Rand

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:44 pm 

well i got some plugs for the old temp switches
put them in the lathe and trimmed some material off them so they aint as tall

slowley getting this thing put togher work has been killing me

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:26 am 

i was going to start my mount today then i realised i don't have any 1/4'' SS rod left i have to get some to start

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:19 pm 

What is the OD of that aftermarket intake tube? I wonder if we (FRAM/CHAMP) make a throw away radial seal filter that'd fit? At least you'd get some good efficiency out of it and save your Engine.

AEM, S&B and AirRaid make/made washable oil-less performance filters that have 96-99% efficiency and as-good flow. K&N oiled washables are generally 85-91% efficient (all per SAE J726 1993, tested in 2004-5), and that's for automotive filters. So I imagine K&N cares less about the ATV/UTV stuff.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:37 pm 

B S is that dust inside the filter mount ?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:47 am 

turbo wrote:
B S is that dust inside the filter mount ?

yes k&n is f@#%ng garbage

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:00 am 

DMoneyAllstar wrote:
What is the OD of that aftermarket intake tube? I wonder if we (FRAM/CHAMP) make a throw away radial seal filter that'd fit? At least you'd get some good efficiency out of it and save your Engine.

AEM, S&B and AirRaid make/made washable oil-less performance filters that have 96-99% efficiency and as-good flow. K&N oiled washables are generally 85-91% efficient (all per SAE J726 1993, tested in 2004-5), and that's for automotive filters. So I imagine K&N cares less about the ATV/UTV stuff.

im hopeing that i can take the # off of the k& sh!t filter and get an twin air one or some other foam filter

or i might get an air box and run the setup with the 2 k$n pre filters like ........'s rig

i forget whos rig it is

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:54 am 

i got my SS rod today

SS really went down in price

it cost $12 for an 12' stick of 1/4'' rod

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:20 am 

This is all I have done to the rad redo lately IMO its pretty sad

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:05 am 

Rand

where did u get ur spun tank at?
like around 2.5 gal or two 1 gal long tube tanks

or two portable tanks will do

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:17 pm 

where do u guys get these from ?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:35 pm 

B S wrote:
Rand

where did u get ur spun tank at?
like around 2.5 gal or two 1 gal long tube tanks

or two portable tanks will do

I got my spun tank from Coyote Gear. It's a 2.5 gallon tank.

http://coyote-gear.com/

Unless you going to run directly from the tank, don't get it with the vented cap......it leaks!

I use my tank a little differently. I run off the bottom tank until it hits reserve. I then open the valve on the top tank and empty it into the bottom tank. This gives me just about 3.3 gallons to get back to camp. I have it plumbed into the return line on the top of the tank. If you are running the stock set up (fuel is circulated), you can put a "T" in line to feed the bottom tank.

Rand

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:46 pm 

B S wrote:
where do u guys get these from ?

I would not run this bellow because it is a little stiff and doesn't expand that well. I have a little blow by on the outer seal on one of my Ody's and I suspect it is because of this stiff bellow.

The bellow that I have switched to is a differential bellow from a 2008 500CC CanAm Outlander. They expand much better than the one you have shown. They actually grow quite a bit and bend like a banana when under pressure.

Rand

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:43 pm 

What do they price out at ?

Or I might run it to my air box
Unless that's a bad idea

Profile E-mail