Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:31 am 

well as most of you have seen i have decided to convert my pilot to a ROTAX

I'm using a 617 ROTAX i picked up in a 1991 skidoo mach 1 paid $250 for the sled

its a 617cc rave Engine (the 670's little brother only 50cc less ). the Engine puts out 109 hp

i bought the farr off road(nitrosport_5 made it ) mount already done welding/installing it

i have to make the chamber pipe , fuel tank and belt guard/cover

was going to make a new wiring harness but then realized that that was going to be a pain in the ass lol

will post photos tomorrow

I just started working 7 days a week at work have very little time to work on the pilot

also trying to find a new truck looking for a dodge diesel around 15-20k tops 5,9 or 6.7 2005 and up to 08

i already have the Engine ,carbs ,radiator, starter,clutch,and regulator.

upper radiator mount and grommets are on order

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:39 am 

Photo

Attachments:
IMG_20140918_170110617.jpg
IMG_20140918_170110617.jpg [ 60.01 KiB | Viewed 301188 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:39 pm 

Looking good, so how long before its first test run?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:26 pm 

hoser wrote:
Looking good, so how long before its first test run?

Probably over a month or two

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:19 pm 

lots of fun!! I love mine. the only thing I don't like is how loud it is. I swear it could make my ears bleed!!

the wiring is pretty easy. 2-3 hours max

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:36 pm 

ChrisV wrote:
lots of fun!! I love mine. the only thing I don't like is how loud it is. I swear it could make my ears bleed!!

The wiring ain't going to be hard just going to splice into the factory harness

You bought the farr off road kit correct?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:35 pm 

B S wrote:
ChrisV wrote:

The wiring ain't going to be hard just going to splice into the factory harness

You bought the farr off road kit correct?

yes i did buy the complete Farr kit.

i also tapped into the factory harness. i use the factory kill switch without a relay. i cut and connected the wires going to the factory switch to remove it fromt he OEM circuit. i then connected one side of the switch to ground and one side to the rotax stator. now my machine will run in "off" and die in "run. easy enough. i also mounted a 3 wire rotax regulator in the OEM spot and tapped it into the factory harness.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:55 pm 

Help me get into the mind of a pilot/rotax builder:
For the life of me I can't understand why someone would hack n wack a pilot.
I don't own a pilot but I think Honda got it right when they built it. Liquid cooled and a clutch on the Engine so that when you come off a jump at full throttle and land you don't split the gearbox unlike the fl350. I can understand a hack n wack on a fl350 because of all of the issues with this machine but why hack n wack a pilot ?? If you say you want more power why not build a machine from scratch ?? There are not to many dumb dumbs on this site. It appears everyone is mechanically inclined but may not have access to a welder, milling machine or lathe like me so that would be the only draw back for some in building their own machine. I was reading here on one of the threads where they said "check your frame for cracks" :shock: Why create yourself a problem ?? I would love to own a pilot but couldn't find any two years ago when I was looking so I bought two fl350. It has been a steep learning curve but it has been fun. May build my own machine with a rotax one day.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:39 pm 

canadian oddy wrote:
I don't own a pilot but I think Honda got it right when they built it. Liquid cooled and a clutch on the Engine so that when you come off a jump at full throttle and land you don't split the gearbox unlike the fl350. I can understand a hack n wack on a fl350 because of all of the issues with this machine but why hack n wack a pilot ?? If you say you want more power why not build a machine from scratch ?? There are not to many dumb dumbs on this site. It appears everyone is mechanically inclined but may not have access to a welder, milling machine or lathe like me so that would be the only draw back for some in building their own machine. I was reading here on one of the threads where they said "check your frame for cracks" :shock: Why create yourself a problem ?? I would love to own a pilot but couldn't find any two years ago when I was looking so I bought two fl350. It has been a steep learning curve but it has been fun. May build my own machine with a rotax one day.

because we can? there is nothing hacking the pilot about it. Like mine for example, pulled out the factory Engine, wire harness and anything else didnt cut the leads off of anything like the steering wheel, lights ect. built a new harness from scratch and used an old burnt up harness for the plugs to plug into the kill switch and all of that. if i really wnated to and had the stock motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )), in a day i could have it back to stock. all of the factory mounts are still there. Only thing cut out was the radiator mount, but that is moved alot of the time anyways.

find someone with a stock pilot, and them come ride my 670 pilot. you wont be asking this question anymore. I could build my own machine from scratch but don't want to put the money into them. I have bought my 2 pilots for dirt cheap, one with no motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) and one that was sitting for 10-15 years in a field. I brought them back to life. most would have parted them out. They were pretty far gone.

another thing i would like give for a reason to swap the Engine, have you priced out pilot Engine parts? They are only going to get harder to find. with the rotax you have 3 or more different manufacturers to choose from for about every single part. Its a no brainer in my eyes. More reliable power, cheaper parts, can go to any local snowmobile shop and get parts to rebuild it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:51 pm 

nitrosport_5 wrote:
canadian oddy wrote:

because we can? there is nothing hacking the pilot about it. Like mine for example, pulled out the factory Engine, wire harness and anything else didnt cut the leads off of anything like the steering wheel, lights ect. built a new harness from scratch and used an old burnt up harness for the plugs to plug into the kill switch and all of that. if i really wnated to and had the stock motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) ((Internal Combustion Engine?)), in a day i could have it back to stock. all of the factory mounts are still there. Only thing cut out was the radiator mount, but that is moved alot of the time anyways.

find someone with a stock pilot, and them come ride my 670 pilot. you wont be asking this question anymore. I could build my own machine from scratch but don't want to put the money into them. I have bought my 2 pilots for dirt cheap, one with no motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) ((Internal Combustion Engine?)) and one that was sitting for 10-15 years in a field. I brought them back to life. most would have parted them out. They were pretty far gone.

another thing i would like give for a reason to swap the Engine, have you priced out pilot Engine parts? They are only going to get harder to find. with the rotax you have 3 or more different manufacturers to choose from for about every single part. Its a no brainer in my eyes. More reliable power, cheaper parts, can go to any local snowmobile shop and get parts to rebuild it.

When I asked the question what I was thinking about someone with a running pilot, yours were rescued. But you do have a valid point about the parts. I guess I would some what agree here.
My next question is: Would you split your gearbox if you landed full throttle ??

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:28 pm 

canadian oddy wrote:
nitrosport_5 wrote:
canadian oddy wrote:

because we can? there is nothing hacking the pilot about it. Like mine for example, pulled out the factory Engine, wire harness and anything else didnt cut the leads off of anything like the steering wheel, lights ect. built a new harness from scratch and used an old burnt up harness for the plugs to plug into the kill switch and all of that. if i really wnated to and had the stock motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) ((Internal Combustion Engine?)) ((Internal Combustion Engine?)), in a day i could have it back to stock. all of the factory mounts are still there. Only thing cut out was the radiator mount, but that is moved alot of the time anyways.

find someone with a stock pilot, and them come ride my 670 pilot. you wont be asking this question anymore. I could build my own machine from scratch but don't want to put the money into them. I have bought my 2 pilots for dirt cheap, one with no motor (( Internal Combustion Engine ? )) ((Internal Combustion Engine?)) ((Internal Combustion Engine?)) and one that was sitting for 10-15 years in a field. I brought them back to life. most would have parted them out. They were pretty far gone.

When I asked the question what I was thinking about someone with a running pilot, yours were rescued. But you do have a valid point about the parts. I guess I would some what agree here.
My next question is: Would you split your gearbox if you landed full throttle ??

I doubt it. Probably will grenade that slipper clutch before the transmission. But doing it enough sure. Same with. stock pilot. If you mistreat it enough somthing has to give.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:32 pm 

canadian oddy wrote:
When I asked the question what I was thinking about someone with a running pilot, yours were rescued.

because it doesn't have enough power after riding in my rotax fl350 lol

and like matt said rotax parts are cheaper that pilot parts

look at halo he has had stock pilots ,cr500 pilot, 583 pilot and now he installed a 670 in his pilot just because of the power

im doing it for more power

and i don't think of it as hack n wack

im not some guy that's going to have my exhaust ,tank ,carb or anything sticking out the side or back of the rig

I'm doing it right, so it will look good.

+ theres other stuff i might do to the pilot :-)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:41 pm 

Jordan higgans ran a 583 pilot with no oil in the trans it lasted a couple of days lol
That's with no oil

All I would worry about is the slipper clutch but that's if your going to be a idiot

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:27 pm 

B S wrote:
Jordan higgans ran a 583 pilot with no oil in the trans it lasted a couple of days lol
That's with no oil

All I would worry about is the slipper clutch but that's if your going to be a idiot

Hey now I fried a clutch pack. But wheelies were fun :)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:09 pm 

nitrosport_5 wrote:
B S wrote:
That's with no oil

Hey now I fried a clutch pack. But wheelies were fun :)

Lol I mean like being a jackass driver?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:48 am 

well I'm waiting on time to start installing my radiator

got the mount kit last week

I'm trying to find a pipe bender so i can bend my mount parts

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:50 pm 

This is why we went with the 670..

Attachments:
pilot wheelie.jpg
pilot wheelie.jpg [ 83.6 KiB | Viewed 301034 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:55 pm 

Hell Im now looking at a etec 800

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:00 pm 

halorising wrote:
Hell Im now looking at a etec 800

just buy the one I sent you the link to

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:35 am 

well got the radiator mounted :-)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:26 am 

That's ONLY 5 words man! :shock: ...But a picture paints a thousand. :-)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:12 am 

For baz

Attachments:
IMG_20141122_172456208.jpg
IMG_20141122_172456208.jpg [ 45.06 KiB | Viewed 300943 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:21 am 

Got the hoses all done

Like my custom elbow?

Lots of stuff to do still

finish welding the radiator mount
Make a coil and CDI (Capacitor Discharge Ignition) mount
Splice the regulator into the harness
Mount the fuel tank
Wire the fan into the harness

Figure out what wire is the kill to the CDI (Capacitor Discharge Ignition) off of the stock Engine

Just need more time and $$$ lol
Mostly More time than $$$ lol

Attachments:
IMG_20141125_015844079.jpg
IMG_20141125_015844079.jpg [ 46.16 KiB | Viewed 300942 times ]
IMG_20141125_015857348.jpg
IMG_20141125_015857348.jpg [ 53.05 KiB | Viewed 300942 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:50 am 

Looks great Bran,can't wait for roostin'...wheelien'vids...they speak even more words than pics! :shock: :-)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:12 am 

Looking good you going to have this monster running by this season?

Profile E-mail