Board index

My Home Page

PilotOdyssey.com By hoser...

PilotOdyssey.com Chat Room

PilotOdyssey.com Photo Album

* Login   * Register * FAQ
http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/smiley_cool.png PilotOdyssey.com Chat    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/find.png PilotOdyssey.com Google Search    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_tongue.png FL400 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_grin.png FL350 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_evilgrin.png FL250 Parts    http://www.pilotodyssey.com/PO/adm/images/imagemenu/emoticon_unhappy.png Admin Email   
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:10 pm 

Hi.. Im new here... Just purchased a nice FL350 everything works... Has a DG Pipe and silencer and is crazy loud!!

I know the Oregon Dunes have sound checks, what silencer do you recommend for this pipe? Needs to be 97db or less.. To meet the requirement... Will the stock pipe meet that if I were to switch back to it?

Thank you for your time...

Steve

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:54 am 

The stock silencer is what is quiet enough. The DG is the loudest pipe I think any manufacturer ever made for the FL350 and Pilot.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:59 am 

IF I decide to keep the DG Pipe, any recommendation on a silencer that would meet the Oregon Dunes sound requirements?

Thank you!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 3:16 pm 

quadracerx wrote:
IF I decide to keep the DG Pipe, any recommendation on a silencer that would meet the Oregon Dunes sound requirements?

Thank you!

I don't think anyone here has done any db measurements on various pipes and silencers on this site.
I have a db meter that I used for my race cars way back in the day. That sounds like a project for me in the future.
Right at the moment I don't think that helps you but in my opinion you can keep the DG pipe but you need another silencer. The DG silencer is junk. I know, I own one on one of my 3 machines. It's very loud. I just repacked it this winter.
In my opinion I would run a stock silencer if you can find one.
I don't know your skill set but if you can weld then I would try to make something.
I used to race a rotary powered formula atlantic car. The rotary is a two stroke and incredibly loud. The most effective mufflers were either very restrictive (HP loss) or a straight through design that was very long and had lots of packing. It was about 6" dia and 3' long (would not fit on my race car). I experimented making mufflers for my race car to make the noise limit. I was successful but had to run two restrictive mufflers one behind the other. The straight through design (like the DG) ain't gona work well. High frequency does not go around corners well. Maybe two glass pack style with elbows MAY work. Experimentation is required here.
Just my opinions.
CO

Edit: Welcome new guy. This site is incredibly slow now. Many of us do not show up very much or even at all anymore. We just got old (I'm 63). So answers may take a while.
If you are looking for info the best way is the search box. In the search box type ONE word ONLY and hit enter. If you don't you will get to many hits.
When the list of threads comes up there will be another search box there on the right.
In that box type ONE word ONLY. Keep doing this as many times as you want until you have narrowed it down. Some common words will be ignored like "Engine" "Honda" etc.
Also at the very bottom of any thread you read will be an area where there a similar threads to the one you are reading. You can click on them to read.
CO

Attachments:
SAVE0071.JPG
SAVE0071.JPG [ 60.8 KiB | Viewed 9584 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:07 pm 

canadian oddy wrote:
quadracerx wrote:

Thank you!

I don't think anyone here has done any db measurements on various pipes and silencers on this site.
I have a db meter that I used for my race cars way back in the day. That sounds like a project for me in the future.
Right at the moment I don't think that helps you but in my opinion you can keep the DG pipe but you need another silencer. The DG silencer is junk. I know, I own one on one of my 3 machines. It's very loud. I just repacked it this winter.
In my opinion I would run a stock silencer if you can find one.
I don't know your skill set but if you can weld then I would try to make something.
I used to race a rotary powered formula atlantic car. The rotary is a two stroke and incredibly loud. The most effective mufflers were either very restrictive (HP loss) or a straight through design that was very long and had lots of packing. It was about 6" dia and 3' long (would not fit on my race car). I experimented making mufflers for my race car to make the noise limit. I was successful but had to run two restrictive mufflers one behind the other. The straight through design (like the DG) ain't gona work well. High frequency does not go around corners well. Maybe two glass pack style with elbows MAY work. Experimentation is required here.
Just my opinions.
CO

Edit: Welcome new guy. This site is incredibly slow now. Many of us do not show up very much or even at all anymore. We just got old (I'm 63). So answers may take a while.
If you are looking for info the best way is the search box. In the search box type ONE word ONLY and hit enter. If you don't you will get to many hits.
When the list of threads comes up there will be another search box there on the right.
In that box type ONE word ONLY. Keep doing this as many times as you want until you have narrowed it down. Some common words will be ignored like "Engine" "Honda" etc.
Also at the very bottom of any thread you read will be an area where there a similar threads to the one you are reading. You can click on them to read.
CO

Thanks for the detailed reply CO... Did you mean run the DG Pipe with the factory silencer? Hmm... I may try that...

Thanks again for the advice and warm welcome...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:34 pm 

I have used an FMF QuietCore with great success with my old DG piped machine. Been a long time since I sold it but it bolted right up and came with a bracket best I can remember.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:12 pm 

You don't need a DB meter anymore. You can download an app to your phone that works just as well. I have a DB meter and the phone app reads identically. I don't think there's any way to get a DG below 97DB. Last time I checked one on a Pilot it was 102DB. I don't enetr the Dunes through public staging areas but last time I did I don't recall seeing any sound Police

Profile E-mail